First half on five live

Also going back to your other point, why would somebody who wants to see how their team is getting on tune into something that was advertised as match commentary of another match? Why wouldn't you just watch Sky Sports Centre or follow it on the Internet??

Well SSN is no longer on freeview but this should not detract from the fact that the Sky Sports Centre coverage is crimnally bad; the commentary may not be uninterupted but it is infinately better than the moronic ranting that goes on Sky. Watching the text coverage on tinterbob is bloody awful but one could never argue that Wednesday player was much better. Then there are those who are driving or generally doing something else whilst they listen which is what Radio is for in 2012.

Danny Mills is a patronizing cnut.

That is all.

Yep. He's so f*cking clueless.

Both he and Craig Burley (who did the Birmingham game) have turned up with such a crap attitude. They've done f*ck all research. Some of the stuff they're coming out with is as if the last 18 months (or just the last month, even) never happened.

I'm going against the grain here and state that the commentary is excellent and Mills is an excellent summarizer.

It is national Radio and they have an obligation to cover other teams and sports. Try radio Sheff if you don't like.

Paul Walker and Seth Bennett getting loads of national Work, particularly Seth who's never off Radio Five. He was chewing the fat with Nicky Campbell this morning.

Well SSN is no longer on freeview but this should not detract from the fact that the Sky Sports Centre coverage is crimnally bad; the commentary may not be uninterupted but it is infinately better than the moronic ranting that goes on Sky. Watching the text coverage on tinterbob is bloody awful but one could never argue that Wednesday player was much better. Then there are those who are driving or generally doing something else whilst they listen which is what Radio is for in 2012.

Ah, so your whole point was about people driving in their cars outside of South Yorkshire and North Derbyshire or people who don't like Sky Sports Centre?

As I say, if it were me I'd sooner watch Sky Sports Centre or follow on Owlstalk then tune into a radio commentary advertised as a match between two clubs other than my own but then that's just me.

I'm going against the grain here and state that the commentary is excellent and Mills is an excellent summarizer.

It is national Radio and they have an obligation to cover other teams and sports. Try radio Sheff if you don't like.

Paul Walker and Seth Bennett getting loads of national Work, particularly Seth who's never off Radio Five. He was chewing the fat with Nicky Campbell this morning.

Still expect them to get the basics right, like naming the teams, doing their homework on non-prem playes etc.

Guest Nilsson_is_God

Still expect them to get the basics right, like naming the teams, doing their homework on non-prem playes etc.

Are u deaf... They have named all our players and in sum instances quoted where they have previously played....

They have. Perhaps you're not listening.

Have you tried RS?

We are getting some VERY positive comments to a national audience. Mills is purring about our side and style of play and McNamara is sounding like a Wednesday Fan.

Quality radio for once.

Edited by M Royds

They have. Perhaps you're not listening.

Have you tried RS?

We are getting some VERY positive comments to a national audience. Mills is purring about our side and style of play and McNamara is sounding like a Wednesday Fan.

Quality radio for once.

. You like to be patronised, yes?

Guest starrydave

No problem with them covering other games to this length but this is basically Sky Sports Centre on the radio, just constant trips around the grounds. If this is what they do then why advertise it as match commentary of the match at Hillsborough when it quite clearly isn't?

Also going back to your other point, why would somebody who wants to see how their team is getting on tune into something that was advertised as match commentary of another match? Why wouldn't you just watch Sky Sports Centre or follow it on the Internet??

people drive...

I listened to this as at the moment I'm about as far west of Sheffield as you can be whilst keeping your feet dry, proper cliff edge in Wales stuff. I was delighted we were the main game. Ok, it went round the country all the time but that's 5live. There were some very complimentary comments in the end, once they'd realised the gap between us wasn't as great as they initially envisaged. Maybe fulham didn't give it 100%, that's their problem. They are better than us. They are an established prem team with more money and resources than us. I think some folk on here live in a bubble.

You obviously missed Mills' first half comments such as...

'Fulham will be looking to play at about 80% and let their quality carry them through easily"

"Wednesday will need to be patient because Fulham's quality on the ball will mean they won't see much of it"

"Jol won't want his team to have to play at 100% to win this game"

"That's the difference, Antonio just lacking that quality in the final third"

By the last half hour he had changed his tune a bit, but still giving the impression that the scoreline was more down to Fulham's failings than our efforts.

As I said: "patronising cnut."

And for the record, I enjoyed the coverage as a whole... just found Mills' comments irritating throughout.

What's so irritating about those comments? He's a summarizer/pundit, Fulham are the supposedly better side in a higher division. He equally made comments about Wednesday, how they should take the game to Fulham, the stature of the Club, it's fans and how Dave Jones knows a good player and the Championship.

It sounds to me that unless the pundits are sucking Wednesday's coc*ck then they hate us and we become all become George Bush, 'You're either with us or against us'.

Not you, but some of the post's on here that go on about how Steve Clarige, Leroy Rossinier, Manish, (fill in the blank for football pundit), hate us with such a vengeance.

Some of our fans on here have a victim mentally that make us sound more like scousers. We should have a Victor mentality rather than the victim attitude that some of us revel in.

Most of the stuff I hear on the national media is now almost always positive about the club.

I beginning to thing what Strafford said about the mentality of our fans does not help drive our club forward but instead keeps it back.

After all that I suppose that's what message boards are for :ls:

Some people do go too far in their expectation of how our matches are covered by national radio, but I think you've gone equally as far in the other direction with that post above.

There was definitely some cause of complaint with the attitude of both Mills and Burley at times during the last two home fixtures broadcast on 5 Live. The commentators themselves were fine but some of the comments by the summarisers in the first half of both games sold our club and our team quite short, to be honest. It wouldn't be a huge issue if it wasn't for the fact these people are paid to have a certain level of knowledge and research into the teams involved. I'm not talking about showering us with praise, either. Just a very basic understanding of our team and the progress the club itself has made in the last 18 months.

Both summarisers changed their tune during the games, but for me all that did was emphasise their tone prior to and in the early stages of both games. Burley especially turned up full of the usual cliches when talking about a team promoted out of League One, and some of his comments about Mandaric were both disrespectful as well as wrong and out of place.

I enjoy the coverage on 5 Live and am generally delighted we're receiving much more praise nationally. There was a very brief segment immidietely after the game where both the commentator and Mills were falling over themselves with praise for us, saying how great it would be to see us back in the Premier League, and thats great to hear. But it's frustrating when the "expert" summarisers have such a different tone at the start of the game. It's as if they're visibly being proven wrong about all their pre-determined ideas about our club live on air as they watch us.

I think it's pretty unfair to suggest misgivings about some of the way our club is covered nationally are down to a victim culture amongst the fans, or suggesting Strafford was right in saying we're holding the club back, is grossly unfair in my opinion.

Well, I would ask you to step back and look at some of the comment made by our fans, particularly when there's something like a football league thread. The victim mentality comes to the surface.

For the sake of this thread I enjoyed the coverage, classy and more professional than WW or RS. And the comment that made an impression on me was made by Burley when he said that as a player he used to love playing at Hillsborough.