Standing on the kop / atmosphere

What amuses me is the people who get a seat near the front of the kop on a regular basis, stand up throughout trying to get the crowd around them going when it's never going to happen during a non exciting part of the game . You would never go into the working men's club and try and get the people in there to do the macarana when there is a nightclub next door.

Guest Old Salt

North stand is a better atmosphere, you can stand all game and it's more enclosed. Everyone who wants to stand should move accross from the kop. Plus it's a steeper pitch, better view, side on, no posts.

Guest Big Guns

Dunt matter cos away fans can't hear the kop any way you all might as well sit down and shut up and leave the singing to the north

Stand, lean back and lurch forward flippin' over the seat in front whilst singing 'Domino'. The lurching hasn't been seen since the heady days of a packed open top kop...think Wednesday 5 Man Ure 4....when everyone on there was punching everyone and anyone. I personally took out my gran with an elbow to the wind pipe.

But only cos she fancied George Best.

Stand for the whole 90 minutes.

I used to sit on the south when I was younger with my dad, but now I go and stand on the North and I'd never go back to sitting. The atmosphere is so good and without it, matches would be no where near as fun for me.

Some brilliant memories of standing on the kop with my Dad when i was a kid. I was 8 in 91 and started going regularly then, so i saw some great football and experienced some great times in those 2 years before they put the seats on. That's probably the reason why i've always hoped they'd bring back standing areas at football grounds.

Guest intercity0wl

Some brilliant memories of standing on the kop with my Dad when i was a kid. I was 8 in 91 and started going regularly then, so i saw some great football and experienced some great times in those 2 years before they put the seats on. That's probably the reason why i've always hoped they'd bring back standing areas at football grounds.

At lots of premier league grounds they already have, although not officially, it is creeping back slowly, although the authorities will never admit it, and they know the are fighting a losing battle, threats of reducing capacities at places where persistent standing is the norm have not made one jot of difference.

Can't understand the continuous comments which infer that only older people (often called miserable tvvats) want to sit, or the condescending comments saying "it's ok for older people" etc.

It's only in recent times that sitting has been an option for many as it used to be relatively much more expensive to sit than stand. For many years people of all ages stood quite happily for the duration, just look at some of the old photos when three sides of Hillsborough was standing only. My grandfather always stood and he never had a problem with it.

I am convinced that people wrongly equate standing with atmosphere, I am sure that in a seated area it is the lower density of people that make the generation of atmosphere a little more difficult than when we are crushed together in a standing enclosure.

Lets not forget that the next generation of fans need to have a seat to stand any chance of seeimg anything, we see an increasing number of young children at games, and it's great to see, but would you take a five or six year old (or even younger sometimes) into a standing enclosure? Or is it fair that you stand unnecessarily infront of a little 'un, that is simply downright bloody selfish!

If I've got a seat I'll use it and actually find that the up and down nature is part of the excitement. Given the choice of a standing enclosure though, I would take that every time.

Good post

Those who advocate standing often forget that it is not always 'Old' people who want to sit down. What about those who are not so tall? or the kids who cannot see because adults are standing in front of them, or quite a lot of women who are generally not as tall as men?

I have stood at games in the past, I must say that at away games I have experienced elements of danger as boozed up gangs of fans behind me have surged forward at certain times and being unable to control their balance, fall onto the people in front of them....quite dangerous given that the feet of those in each row are restricted by the seats backs of the row in front.

Maybe the answer is to put the standing area at the back of the kop so they don't impair the view of those in front of them who wish to be seated?

I want terracing back on the kop. If you want to sit go on the South. I'm a kop ST holder and when i stand for too long i get told to sit by whoever sits behind me, even when everyone is up bouncing and even at the Wycombe game. The only reason my ST is on the kop is for the atmosphere but i end up staying sat down most of the way through the game. I think when you're stood you have more of a tendency to jump around and sing.

I understand however, that there are numerous reasons why it has to stay all seated, i just wish it was all terraced.

Guest chapeltom

Its difficult to bounce at the back of the Kop as the rows are that narrow, need to bring back standing in grounds, I prefer it, much better atmosphere than when your sat down.

There is a certain amount of irony when Liverpool fans stand at games as its down to them that we now have all seater stadia!

Standing does seem to help with the atmosphere at away matches but that could also be down to the amount of alcohol consumed!!

I want terracing back on the kop. If you want to sit go on the South. I'm a kop ST holder and when i stand for too long i get told to sit by whoever sits behind me

I don't get it - this thread now seems to be a vast majority that want to stand on the kop, so why doesn't it happen? Every game????