Our weak link last night.

Guest StamfordOwl

Guest thetruthisoutthere

Couldn't be any further from the truth... on saturday just watch what millwall do after they realise he's our liability....

The reason most teams attack well down the that side is because most teams have talented right footed players and it is more natural to attack down that side.

Guest Big Guns

I thought Reda did well against a very capable opponent.

Why some people must always focus on the negatives after a night of such positives is beyond me.

I bet the manager will be focusing on the negatives ,and looking to improve ..

3 games and 2 goals and thats from our left back! Last season, when our strikers were not up to their best who came up with the goals? REDA. If he can get around 10 goals this season surely that's a great return discounting some of the penalties he will give away. He is still young and will develop into a great player. If he didn't score the equaliser against Derby, DJ's unbeaten run would have come to an end. Having a great start and keeping the momentum going in this division is imperative. If we can pick up another 3 points on Saturday, who knows, we might just be able to keep in the mix of the teams at the top and show the rest of the league that this season, we mean business!!

Guest SunTzu

I felt Reda was great last night! Yes a few errors (one notably punished with a penalty) but on a number of occasions I saw him get the better of the Burke with some excellent challenges. There is no doubt that Burke will be a difficult man for any Left Back in the championship to come up against.

Reda also makes things happen, works well with Semedo & JJ and gets up and scores goals! Ok, he may sometimes sacrifice his defensive responsibilities in order to help going forward but it's working. I regard him as our best LB at the moment and personally enjoy seeing him play, even with the odd heart attack moment when the oppostion winger gets in behind. He who dares...

Edited by SunTzu

Guest GodsanOwl

Reda should keep his shirt, how can you drop the joint leading goalscorer in the league?!!!

That said, JJ is hardly known for his tracking back is he! So is there really a problem with Reda or is it just the usual, where one winger helps out defensively more than the other?

Guest GodsanOwl

Let's be fair to the guy, he isn't a natural left back!

How many left backs has he been picked ahead of in the last 6-12 months!

Reda should keep his shirt, how can you drop the joint leading goalscorer in the league?!!!

That said, JJ is hardly known for his tracking back is he! So is there really a problem with Reda or is it just the usual, where one winger helps out defensively more than the other?

No it's not that.

The ball constantly being put in behind Reda says everything on where people feel his weaknesses are. His positional play is poor at times and he's very vulnerable when on the turn. He's also clumsy when a player is attacking him one on one.

Although all these sides of his game have improved over the last 12 months, there is still a lot for him to work on.

Nothing to do with JJ.

Guest Briscoe Inferno

Stamford.

You are entitled to your opinion but I am getting a bit fed up with all this Reda is the weak link and a liability talk TBH.

Surely you have seen all the other threads about it and is just lighting the touchpaper again and standing back.

We are second and 15 games unbeaten FFS - I knew once we had got back in the Championship that fookwits who haven't a clue would come out of the woodwork and start whinging...

Just flip off t' lane if you want to be a pedant.

I honestly cannot believe that some folk feel they have express themselves in this way after a brilliant season last year and in the most exciting time being a Wednesdayite for over a decade.

This is one superb side put together by DJ, playing the best football for years and still, despite being told daily it's work in progress, the disastisfaction quite frankly beggars belief.

Unreal.

I agree that Reda's positional sense is poo poo - what was a left back doing in the centre forward position in the 89th minute on Saturday ffs? Disgraceful.

If he carries on with his ratio of twice as many goals scored and an assist for every goal against that he's culpable for, I imagine we'll all be quite satisfied.

I actually think that the erratic nature of some of Reda's defending and play doesn't help Gardner to settle in next to him at the back. Just my opinion but a CB needs to have total trust and understanding with his full back and I'm not sure that Reda gives that. Love the bloke to bits though and he has scored in both games so far but this has masked some inadequacies in his defensive game and use of the ball. I want to see him play and develop but we've conceded 2 goals in each of our first 2 games so defence needs shoring up.

Stuart Pearce was always better going forwards then defending, although many will remember Pearce as a hard tackling left back.

Very similar to Reda actually.

Reda will be a legend, hopefully with us. I believe he can be our next Nigel Worthington in as much as playing LB for us in three divisions (Didn't Worthy play for us in 3 divisions?)

Ultimately, like Worthington, Reda may become a left winger.......

There is room for him to improve defensively. But I wouldnt write off his ability to do so. This is still a learning curve for him.

>>>>This. However, I think you are wrong. I'm pretty sure that DJ's take on proceedings regarding our weakness would have been to do with the fact that we had 55% posession when with the skill on display, In particular the way Rhys McCabe was playing, we should have been looking for over 65% posession. Also in doing so we should have been looking to slow the game down a little and make the pitch bigger by spreading the passes. We're now accumulating the skill set to be able to do this and it will come along with a greater understanding ammongst the players.

As this happens the opportunities for the opposition to expose individual positions will increasingly diminish.

Reda would not be in those forward positions unless he was given license to do so by the manager.

Presumably there is a contingency plan in place to cover for his runs forward. I suspect Semedo would be the ideal player to cover his runs but when we are attacking I don't tend to watch our defense.

Obviosly he cannot be expected to be in the box one minute and then at our corner flag seconds later. this would be impossible so i wish people would stop getting at him for it.

Edited by Beholder

Stuart Pearce was always better going forwards then defending, although many will remember Pearce as a hard tackling left back.

Very similar to Reda actually.

Reda will be a legend, hopefully with us. I believe he can be our next Nigel Worthington in as much as playing LB for us in three divisions (Didn't Worthy play for us in 3 divisions?)

Ultimately, like Worthington, Reda may become a left winger.......

No, unless you count the Premier League and the old Division One separately!

He signed during our promotion season in 1984. For some reason I clearly remember him making a strong challenge in his debut at home to Brighton and thinking "we've got a good 'un here". Was I right, I wasn't wrong.