Our weak link last night.

Guest StamfordOwl

I thought Worthington played for us in Division 3 for some reason, not sure why I remembered that wrong.

Notts County is where we bought him from, maybe he played for them in the 3rd tier and that's what I got wrong?

Edit: Either way what i'm saying is a once lower league full back become a legend for us and has never really been replaced. Reda has the potential to be our next Worthington, although we may never call Reda "Mr Dependable"

Edited by a_weishaupt

Guest wadsgod

I think it's about time people stopped all this reda bashing, he's a young man still learning his trade who always gives 100%. If we want jj to go on these dazzling runs, we need to realize that reda will sometimes be left isolated at times ( something I'm willing to see ) because sometimes you have to take risks, which is something that happened last night. So I have a suggestion for you, why don't you stop slating him on his weakness and start praising him on his strengths. He played against possibly the best winger in the league last night and faired better than most leftbacks will do this season.

I think it's about time people stopped all this reda bashing, he's a young man still learning his trade who always gives 100%. If we want jj to go on these dazzling runs, we need to realize that reda will sometimes be left isolated at times ( something I'm willing to see ) because sometimes you have to take risks, which is something that happened last night. So I have a suggestion for you, why don't you stop slating him on his weakness and start praising him on his strengths. He played against possibly the best winger in the league last night and faired better than most leftbacks will do this season.

Top Man !

Reda has the fear factor when he goes forward and is an obvious assett deffending set pieces. As this team develops he, as all our deffenders, will be under less and less pressure.

I thought Worthington played for us in Division 3 for some reason, not sure why I remembered that wrong.

Notts County is where we bought him from, maybe he played for them in the 3rd tier and that's what I got wrong?

Edit: Either way what i'm saying is a once lower league full back become a legend for us and has never really been replaced. Reda has the potential to be our next Worthington, although we may never call Reda "Mr Dependable"

Or "Irish".

As far as I know Notts County were in the top flight when we got him from them.

Edited by alanharper

I do think it's a shame some fans are unable to concentrate on the positives. Let's just accept that Reda will get caught out of position now and again. And that JJ will make the wrong decision at least 50% of the time. Hell, even Lines(when fit) might misplace a pass. We' ve had a great start. The football last night, for the first half in particular "left me salivating" (Praise or Grumble quote), let's just enjoy it.

I thought Reda had a good game last night. Scored a goal, one assist but should have been two. Played Burke better than most imagined. Lay off the boy.

Guest Bald Owl

And before you shoot me down saying "he's scored 2 vital goals" just think his main role in our team is to defend which he doesn't do good enough, gets caught out of position easy and we have strikers and attacking midfielders to score the goals.

Then they must not be doing their job right because without Reda's goals we'd have one point now. So, JJ for left back Reda for wing? We're unbeaten don't fix something that ain't broke!

Guest Bald Owl

If/When we win on Saturday (through a Pecnik hat-trick) we could go top of the league and into automatic promotion spot

Still not be good enough for some!

Guest Parky1867

This has all probably been said, but just in case.. Reda obviously isn't a natural left back. In the games last season against the better sides (Charlton, Huddersfield, Pigs) he showed that he can be a weak link and that he probably isn't ready for the championship. His positioning is sometimes poor, hes at times clumsy, and sometimes downright reckless, slow to turn and his decision making can be is completely off. However, he has many strengths, including his goalscoring ability, his tackling, his heading ability (not going to get out-muscled at the back post like Spurr) and once he gets going he is quite fast.

Personally as much as I like Reda Id like to think he wont be our first choice left back for the rest of the season. To me it was pretty obvious we lack pace at the back, as the only time Birmingham ever looked dangerous was a long ball over the top and in behind our defence who couldn't match the pace of the attackers. I think we need a pacey left back to go alongside a mobile centre back to address this issue, however in the right circumstances I think Reda could be deployed effectively.

Definitely room for improvement, but he is on a constant learning curve in a new position, and he definitely isnt as bad as people would like to make out. Of course he can improve in some areas, hes not a natural left back. But he does have some important attributes on offer. Time will tell if he is good enough for this level at left back, personally I wouldn't be against seeing him dropped before he makes a mistake that costs us a game (which we all admit he is capable of), however neither will I be demanding for him to be removed from the first team. DJ knows what he is doing, and I trust his judgement, he is fully aware that Reda has his faults, but if he has the confidence to keep him in the eleven ahead of Mattock, he must know what is required to help improve the lad.

He has potential, and I don't think hes ready for centre back yet, another year or two at left back may do him the world of good, but ultimately I think he will be back at centre half down the line.

Guest wadsgod

Then they must not be doing their job right because without Reda's goals we'd have one point now. So, JJ for left back Reda for wing? We're unbeaten don't fix something that ain't broke!

to reight mate

I think its a tricky one. I don't think he's bad but he doesn't fill you with confidence when players are running at him. You can't write off his goal threat though, you can't just say he's primarily a defender, it makes set pieces such a threat and he could get 10 goals over the season which you can't just dismiss because he's a defender. My housemate is a Brighton fan and he said Mattock was very good when on loan there. I would like to see Mattock in the team but i think losing reda could be a problem, it means we still carry a goal threat even when not at the most creative, and once that goal is scored the team can be sparked into life. I guess it'll work itself out over the course of the season, its got to be a good dillema.

Guest StamfordOwl

Like i have said on other threads, no one would be any happier if he proves me wrong but as a 'football fan' we are going to have teams absolutely running at him and he will get caught out of position.... just like the Derby game and certainly times in the Birmingham game... I think he would make a good strong Striker but needs alot of retraining haha

WAWAW

Oh and no one on here deserves to be on Jezza so just remember you automatically lose any argument the moment you swear (business tip)

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Yet it was Reda (and not one of our strikers) in the right place and right time to head in the vital first goal - and it wasn't even from a set piece from what I could tell.... he has a knack of being in the right place, knows where the back of the net is and that first goal gave us a platform.... I'm sure DJ will work on his defensive weaknesses (silly penalty to concede for example)....

Apart from being a partially cleared corner?

Yet it was Reda (and not one of our strikers) in the right place and right time to head in the vital first goal - and it wasn't even from a set piece from what I could tell.... he has a knack of being in the right place, knows where the back of the net is and that first goal gave us a platform.... I'm sure DJ will work on his defensive weaknesses (silly penalty to concede for example)....

Apart from being a partially cleared corner?

Guest BirdonaMaguire

For all Reda's faults and he does have them he's an asset to this team, he has the heart of lion for me, works hard up and down the pitch, less than 12 months ago he was a centre half prone to errors in a side in the 3rd tier, now he's a goalscoring left back who bombs forward when he gets the chance, he will get caught out now and again but it's worth it.

2 goals and 1 assist already, and he was bursting into the box after playing in Rodri for the 2nd, he also created the first chance for our new Barca B loanee.