8 Championship

I bet the fans of the 8 Championship clubs that were knocked out think it's a tin pot cup. I for one think that some of the bigger clubs like Arsenal and Manchester United have made a mockery of the competition in recent years by playing kids and weakened sides.

I wouldn't say we treated ours anything like a pre-season friendly. I think DJ put out what he thought was our strongest team available

DJ put a strong team out but their mindset in the first half was definitely more pre-season that season started. DJ got to grips with them at half time for sure!

Tin pot cup

Why go repeating the **** you here on RS ? The league cup was/is the peoples cup competition, the competition where fans get 40K tickets each should they make the final. Yeah the FA Cup has more prestige but should we get there don't bank on seeing it if you're not a season ticket holder.

Give me the League Cup, if the top Prem sides want to devalue it Screw em we'll take the trip to Wembley every time !

I bet the fans of the 8 Championship clubs that were knocked out think it's a tin pot cup. I for one think that some of the bigger clubs like Arsenal and Manchester United have made a mockery of the competition in recent years by playing kids and weakened sides.

Teams do that now in anything except Premier League and Champions League. They generally field sides that they rhink can get through without risking too many players.

Make no mistake the trophy still matters. Look at how Liverpool celebrated winning it last year. It's also a route into Europe.

There's only 3 real major domestic trophies to win and fans want to see their team winning trophies.

DJ put a strong team out but their mindset in the first half was definitely more pre-season that season started. DJ got to grips with them at half time for sure!

Sometimes the first game can be a bit of a red herring. Everyone had us down for making the play offs when we were 2-0 up on Barnsley at half time in the first game the other year- look what happens there.

Also remember Rotherham putting 6 past Millwall away from home in the Championship on the first day, only to fizzle out over the next few games.

Most people had Preston down for promotion after the first month of last season.

Very difficult to tell the sides that will challenge on the evidence of the first few games.

Tin pot cup

Don't know how you can think that way. I'd settle for a home tie (and win) against a Premier League team, then something like Arsenal or Man U away - we're due a big tie and if we can make some money, it might allow us to bring in more quality.

Not sure it could be labeled tin pot if we can potentially make a decent wedge out of it.

However, if we get knocked out at Northampton away in the next round, then it's tinpot :rolleyes:

Sometimes the first game can be a bit of a red herring. Everyone had us down for making the play offs when we were 2-0 up on Barnsley at half time in the first game the other year- look what happens there.

Also remember Rotherham putting 6 past Millwall away from home in the Championship on the first day, only to fizzle out over the next few games.

Most people had Preston down for promotion after the first month of last season.

Very difficult to tell the sides that will challenge on the evidence of the first few games.

norwich 7-1 to colchester only to be promoted, imagine if we'd lost 7-1 to rochdale first game last year.

Considering that the Premier League teams don't take it seriously, there still hasn't been a winner from outside the top league since we did it in '91.

The 'tin-pot' comments usually come from fans of teams that have just been knocked out. We've said it plenty of times in the past too. :biggrin:

I hate the early rounds of this cup. It's even worse this season with it starting before the season. Both fans and players don't seem to take it seriously and it's ripe for an upset as proved. I think they should totally change the format and turn it into a kind of British cup, it would definately make it more entertaining and give it a bit of an edge