Marlon Harewood signs 1 year deal with Barnsley

It's not like we've been paying him!

He's too similar to COG so it was always going to be one or the other. I'm sure he'll do alright but not the type of striker we are short of.

Incidentally - I keep forgetting we are in the same division as Barnsley. I know they were above us last year but my subconscious always places them a league or two below us. Wierd!

Some valid, and interesting points in this thread.

He was decent for us on loan the season before last, and with the amount of pace we have in our side now, we were just lacking a bloke to hold up the ball. Hopefully Marlon will give us that, and his record in front of goal isn't too shabby either.

A risk free gamble, as per BFC.

Good result for you lot last night, too. I only caught the second half, and so obviously I was impressed.

Proper games though this weekend, and good luck to you lot at Derby.

Wasn't he am "embarrassment" for us in the "Barnsley sign Mido" thread? lol

Personally, I think he'll get you a decent amount of goals and I had hoped we would sign him on a 1-year deal as well as another striker. As it turns out though, COG might well make the step up if he carries on playing like last night, in which case Harewood would be last choice striker for us.

Hope it works out and good luck for the season ahead.

It's not like we've been paying him!

He's too similar to COG so it was always going to be one or the other. I'm sure he'll do alright but not the type of striker we are short of.

Incidentally - I keep forgetting we are in the same division as Barnsley. I know they were above us last year but my subconscious always places them a league or two below us. Wierd!

We were above you the year before too. And the year before that. And for quite a few years this past decade or so.

Just saying.

Decent replacement for Andy Gray!

Can't be any worse.

Guest Reneowlsup

He was decent for us on loan the season before last, and with the amount of pace we have in our side now, we were just lacking a bloke to hold up the ball. Hopefully Marlon will give us that, and his record in front of goal isn't too shabby either.

Good result for you lot last night, too. I only caught the second half, and so obviously I was impressed.

A gracious Barnsley fan that talks a bit of sense. You don't get those very often. Fair play.

Wasn't he am "embarrassment" for us in the "Barnsley sign Mido" thread? lol

Personally, I think he'll get you a decent amount of goals and I had hoped we would sign him on a 1-year deal as well as another striker. As it turns out though, COG might well make the step up if he carries on playing like last night, in which case Harewood would be last choice striker for us.

Hope it works out and good luck for the season ahead.

Cheers, pal.

Although I don't remember saying he was an embarrassment. Think I just found it quite odd that Owls were mocking us for signing an 'has been' 29 year old who has scored at Camp Nou, played in a Champions League final etc... whilst you were trialling a former tarn loanee, at 32 year old.

Granted, we've now got them both gary megson

Guest Glasgow Owl

Sad to hear you stole Marlon. Unless your Barca or the Swans, you need a tank to hold play up for you in the Championship, thx Dingleberry

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Cheers, pal.

Although I don't remember saying he was an embarrassment. Think I just found it quite odd that Owls were mocking us for signing an 'has been' 29 year old who has scored at Camp Nou, played in a Champions League final etc... whilst you were trialling a former tarn loanee, at 32 year old.

Granted, we've now got them both gary megson

Which Champions League Final?

Guest Reneowlsup

He isn't.

He was a bit of a wee wee tail in the non SWFC section.

I've never come across him before so I wouldn't know.

I'm talking solely about that comment that I was replying to.

Not fussed about Marlon. He will do a reasonable job but he's not a stand out player. Best of luck to him anyway.

He isn't.

He was a bit of a wee wee tail in the non SWFC section.

I don't agree with that. I think he has been a good poster so far and in that section too.

We were above you the year before too. And the year before that. And for quite a few years this past decade or so.

Just saying.

Wasn't 2 years ago the first season you've EVER been in a higher division than us? So we the "past decade" bit is incorrect.

Just saying.

As for Harewood, seemed to do oright for you on loan a couple of years ago and my general feeling is he will do OK for you. "OK" being the key word...

I personally would have been disappointed if he signed for us as i think we need to be aiming higher than Marlon if we want to get into the play-offs which is Dave Jones and Mandaric's ambition this season. For a team and fans which are happy just finishing 18-21st every season, he isn't a bad signing on a free and (what I imagine) not a fortune on wages.

Maron Harewood.

Am I upset he will be at a rival this season? No.

That's all I need to know. I think we have better in our squad already. However Jones probably did the right thing in checking him out, just as he is doing still with Koumas and apparently did with Robbie Fowler. Signing a player and not knowing is always a gamble, whereas if you don't sign a player and you didn't check them out you will always wonder "did I make a mistake"

So Jones didn't make a mistake, is anyone upset?