Competition

If my source is correct, and I have not yet had confirmation that it is, a certain Sheffield Wednesday footballer received a fine for £700 today for speeding - at 155mph!

That would be surprising, if true.

Usually a short custodial and ban for that.

Usually charged with dangerous driving.

That would be surprising, if true.

Usually a short custodial and ban for that.

Usually charged with dangerous driving.

And I wouldn't disagree with you. I thought it strange too, but apparently........it can happen

Guest Distraught!

I would be very surprised if a professional footballer (especially one whose income supported the purchase of a vehicle capable of that kind of speed) walked from court with only a seven hundred quid fine for doing 155 mph on the road. I presume it was on the motorway but, even then, is more than twice the national speed limit. It deserves a custodial sentence and/or lengthy ban.

Guest Cheese

At 155mph it would have gone to court, if there is a prospect of a ban (which there most definitely is) then pleading guilty by letter isn't an option and you would have to attend. At that speed you run the risk of a dangerous driving charge. The player would definitely have appeared in court but not necessarily for dangerous driving but to get out of there without a ban I can't believe. Fines are means tested with the maximum being £2500 on a motorway and £1000 other roads.