Marlon Harewood

I listen to radiio 5 quite a bit in the evenings, because I think their live coverage of games is not too bad, and two comments I've heard from the ex player summarisers they tend to use, stick in my memory.

The first one was when I was listening to Blackpool playing somebody or other in a night match, and James Beattie was trundled on as a sub. The ex player said something to the effect of, "it's very sad to see how much he's deteriorated, and it's almost impossible to believe he's a professional footballer", and the second comment was about Marlon Harewood,when he was brought on as a sub for whichever team he was playing for at the time. The commentator said something like, "lets see if Marlon Harewood can bring a bit of urgency to the game", to which the ex player responded, " you'll never get any urgency from him, I played with him at West Ham, and he's the laziest player I ever worked with".

I'm not bothered about stats, but when somebody who's played with another player describs him as the laziest player he ever played with, I don't think I want that player at my club. We've had too many players like in the past few years.

The whole argument for me is, if Harewood and Koumas impress, then that'll be 9 players, add a couple of loans and thats us done. A whole championship team for just over half a million. Wow. Good business? Yes if the idea is to try and achieve championship safety with minimum outlay. Don't get me wrong, if that is the road we want to go down, thats fine by me, I'm grateful we're out of that division and grateful we still have a club. Lets not kid ourselves though, if thats the scenario, that we will be challenging the big boys for promotion.

Guest Distraught!

I listen to radiio 5 quite a bit in the evenings, because I think their live coverage of games is not too bad, and two comments I've heard from the ex player summarisers they tend to use, stick in my memory.

The first one was when I was listening to Blackpool playing somebody or other in a night match, and James Beattie was trundled on as a sub. The ex player said something to the effect of, "it's very sad to see how much he's deteriorated, and it's almost impossible to believe he's a professional footballer", and the second comment was about Marlon Harewood,when he was brought on as a sub for whichever team he was playing for at the time. The commentator said something like, "lets see if Marlon Harewood can bring a bit of urgency to the game", to which the ex player responded, " you'll never get any urgency from him, I played with him at West Ham, and he's the laziest player I ever worked with".

I'm not bothered about stats, but when somebody who's played with another player describs him as the laziest player he ever played with, I don't think I want that player at my club. We've had too many players like in the past few years.

That sounds deeper than criticism to me. For an ex-player to make such a comment about another professional player publicly and in such blunt terms, it sounds more like some kind of grudge or bad feeling feeling between them.

I play football every Wednesday and for the past few weeks Marlon Harewood has been down because he's close friends with a mate of mine. He's certainly not carrying extra timber and but it's hard to assess his footballing qualities because he clearly wasn't putting in 100% but if he comes on trial then DJ will know what he's looking for. Like many have said on here, we won't lose anything in assessing what he's got on trial.

I play football every Wednesday and for the past few weeks Marlon Harewood has been down because he's close friends with a mate of mine. He's certainly not carrying extra timber and but it's hard to assess his footballing qualities because he clearly wasn't putting in 100% but if he comes on trial then DJ will know what he's looking for. Like many have said on here, we won't lose anything in assessing what he's got on trial.

A pro football looking for a contract and is on trial with us, is playing on a wednesday in close season with his mates?

I would imagine he aint that bright - one daft challenge and his chance of a contract is gone.

I bet Dave Jones would be really impressed.

Edited by RichSheffWeds

That sounds deeper than criticism to me. For an ex-player to make such a comment about another professional player publicly and in such blunt terms, it sounds more like some kind of grudge or bad feeling feeling between them.

This. For an ex-player to be so critical when it didn't warrant it (i.e. not critical of his actions on the pitch in that particular game), sounds like bad eggs from the commentator. Very unprofessional of him.

As for Marlon himself - I think if it's a short term deal, maybe a year or 18 months, it would give us the opportunity to assess him and play for a new deal. What we don't want is questionable players on long term contracts again. (e.g. Reyonlds, Clinton, Teale)

We are.

:milan: wants to maximise the profit he'll make from selling the club... and I get the feeling that could be sooner rather than later.

we came up only with the bare bones of a promoted side, the loan players made up our cutting edge...

we needed to add numbers, and now we need to add more quality...

from what i know of milan, he is unlikely to spend big if it can be avoided...

maybe again we will look to add (premier this time) loans once the season is underway...

on the milan selling on issue, next season? i doubt it...

the following two? definitely for me, and i guess i'd split the expectation at 45/55% at the moment...

Edited by dnhc

Guest foreverSWFC

A pro football looking for a contract and is on trial with us, is playing on a wednesday in close season with his mates?

I would imagine he aint that bright - one daft challenge and his chance of a contract is gone.

I bet Dave Jones would be really impressed.

Madine plays 5 a side quite often as does Lines, so what?

Good way of keeping fit, espeically if you are out of the game.

If we've got a bit of money in the budget I hope we spend it on a striker. You can have a competent team put together on a standard budget and the right striker to make the difference. I'm thinking Donny who played good stuff to no effect until Sharp joined for £1 and made them more effective.

Do you think he's thinking along those lines? He must have noticed the foreign investors moving into the championship, Russians at Reading, Thai"s at Leicester and the Malaysians at Cardiff. Now the trend continues, with Watford, Leeds and Forest. He may figure it will take substantial funding to get to the Premiership and there are no guarantees, whereas he could establish us in the championship for peanuts then sell us on and let the new investors worry about funding a promotion push. If we're brutally honest, nothing about our recruitment so far suggests we might be prepared to have a go at promotion.

I strongly suspect there is a lot of truth in this, time will tell, but so far the signings have all the hallmarks of consolidating the squad as a comfortably mid-table Championship one. I'm not greatly inspired so far, but let's hope there's more to come before the new season starts....more as in better quality that is.

Guest Sniper1

I hope Big marlon is fit, i hope he proves it and gets a deal.

Always rated him.

Same with Koumas.

Two quality players.

These two signings would be similar to the Ian Harte signing for Reading, i wonder what they thought when Harte signed.

Guest GrahamHydeFanClub

Not sure about this thb. I'd rather keep O'grady and look elsewhere.

Having said that, how many goals would our 4 strikers contribute?

Guest Johnbloodaxe

I hope Big marlon is fit, i hope he proves it and gets a deal.

Always rated him.

Same with Koumas.

Two quality players.

These two signings would be similar to the Ian Harte signing for Reading, i wonder what they thought when Harte signed.

this,...

Guest Milan Mandaric - God

Madine has achieved nothing in the Championship because he has not played in it before. He is our first choice because he is our current top scorer and we got promoted. It is common for promoted teams to keep their previous top scorer in the team. Maguire did not succeed at Derby but seemed to impress at Portsmouth, at least he always appeared involved according to Soccer Saturday. Pretty happy to trust Jones on his ability to succeed.

Harewood might be good. When he signed for Blackpool everyone thought he would be rubbish and then he scored two on his debut as Blackpool won 4-0 and went on a decent early start to the season. Think he'd be a good impact substitute and solid enough for a few full games especially if Madine is injured/suspended.

I'd be surprised that if we signed Harewood it would be the end of the summer striker signings

Completely agree with you mate, but Madine played 9 games for Coventry in the Championship and didn't score once.

Guest zico sterland

Harewood is a journeyman forward,believe if we looked at free lists in this country and abroad we could pick up a better player for nothing.What we dont know is what DJs transfer kitty is,and if he has other targets in mind,this may well be the case.Then as others have said giving Harewood a trial costs and risks nothing .Lets leave it to the experts to sort out and trust in them.

Guest DronfieldOwl77

If Harewood proves he can still do it, this could become a very cheap and shrewd signing by DJ. The same with Koumas. This would surely free more money for other more important targets i.e wingers Antonio and Treacy.

Guest chuckie4570

No thanks..... go and fill your pension pot at some other club, we are building for the future not offering old men one final fling! Sorry if this is harsh but we haven't got the finances for this type of player, spend the money/wages on a young player who we can develop and my be even sell for a profit!

Personally I'd rather he turns up on trial, does fantastically well, gets signed and scores a poo pooload of goals for us.

Not saying it will happen but I'd rather things went well than badly at the club I support.

oh spare me the whole i'm a better fan than you BS cos i dont think a trialist can be david hirst mark II.