An evening with Gary Megson

Guest owl forever

Guest lamort

I wouldn't go, mainly because you'd get a load of people pandering to Megson and telling him how they still wished he was in the job....

I'm not so sure you would. I believe most Wednesday fans NOW agree with the tough and controversial decision Milan made and would be comfortable saying that to Megson.

I believe Megson would have gotten us to the play-offs - not automatic, and his brand of football was not enjoyable to watch.

Megson was the right manager to get the job started, Dave Jones is the right man to finish it. Teamwork.

Edited by lamort

I dont understand why people seem to take satisfaction out of sticking the boot into Megson.

Just be happy that Megson assembled a decent group of players, made sure they weren't flipping frightened to play at Hillsborough and when it faltered Jones came in and got us over the line.

Guest owl forever

Megson brought the fans together jones brought the team together those two things combined is what got us promotion

lol :gary megson:

I dont understand why people seem to take satisfaction out of sticking the boot into Megson.

Just be happy that Megson assembled a decent group of players, made sure they weren't flipping frightened to play at Hillsborough and when it faltered Jones came in and got us over the line.

I doubt their is any Wednesday fan who isn't happy that we have been promoted, regardless of who the manager was who got us there.

It's not strictly a case of "sticking the boot" in at all, it is simply that not everybody is as big a fan of Megson as others might be, my opinion of Megson that he did a decent job, not a great job, but acceptable, I was never convinced by the way we played under him, I certainly don't think we would have been promoted under him and my honest opinion is that he has had the praise and credit he deserves and more.

I have nothing against him, but I was far from disappointed when he left, I just dont understand why all this time has passed and we are still having such regular conversations about a former manager, and how anybody can still feel that his dismissal was wrong.

His dad was one of the most famous/greatest Wednesday captains EVER..

gary megson - Grew up on the Kop watching him... gary megson took a drop down the league as a player to join us and was awesome during (both) his time('s) here.

gary megson =Then became manager and started the revolution.

As far as him having nothing to say about the last couple months of the season before his departure as manager?Who gives a flip.

He has forgot more about Wednesday than those moaning about him will ever know.Should be a great night with a Wednesday Legend.

Edited by optimusowl

Who are these people?

Don't have to name individuals. We have seen a myriad of threads overly praising Megson about his "part he played in the promotion". As Arthur Bach had mentioned in another thread, I'm sure Megson wouldn't have liked to be seen as part of a masterplan by where he started our promotion challenge and Jones finished it. Megson certainly does deserves some credit, and I personally grant him that. But it looks as if people are more concerned in giving the thumbs up and patting Megson on the back for what he did whilst at the club (maybe cos' he's "one of us"), and hardly recognising and appraising the hard task Jones had accomplished.

32 points of a possible 36 is an astonishing feat, and yet people keep banging on about what Megson did.

Megson did a good job in his tenure with us, but I feel it's time we moved on as fans.

But it looks as if people are more concerned in giving the thumbs up and patting Megson on the back for what he did whilst at the club (maybe cos' he's "one of us"), and hardly recognising and appraising the hard task Jones had accomplished.

Who are these people?

Guest foreverSWFC

Megson never deserved to be sack, it is crazy to think you could be third in the league and just beaten the Blades at home and still get the sack, I feel sorry for Megson, a lot of this was his work and his team. I firmly believe we would have gone up be it automatic or play offs if Megson was still in charge, we were fitter and more determined than a lot of the teams around us, something we owe alot to Meggo and his backroom staff.

Having said that Dave Jones went on a truly amazing run, staggering really, under Megson I highly doubt we'd have put such a run of form together. We went back to basics, DJ came in and realised if you kept the ball on the ground, played with two wingers, and just attacked teams you could do well in this league. However the influence of Antonio cannot be underestimated in DJs unbeaten run. He was key to our success, a Megson signing, if Megson could have been given the opportunity to use Antonio he may well have gone on a unstoppable run of form? Who knows.

Megson's influence was MASSIVE, without him we would not have/had the likes of Semedo, Batth, Llera, Lowe, Lines, Marshall and Antonio, all marvellous players who were/are fit, passionate, committed and dedicated, a team who really fought last season, Megson made some really impressive signings. He made the players understand what it was like to play forSWFC, he brought pride and passion back to the club, something which we had begun to lose over recent years. He had a positive effect on me, he really reminded me what is was like to support a massive club, he said the right things which got us all passionate about our club, his interviews were honest and always engaging, he is a Wednesdayite. Most importantly, 62 of our points were thanks to him, he left DJ in an unbelievable position to move forward and take us to the Championship.

However, I believe we have the better manager in Dave Jones, he will get us playing football and I feel as if as a side we will be more relaxed and confident next season. We were incredibly lucky to have two top managers last season, who's pedigrees were far too good for League One standard. They both have different and effective styles of football, but I prefer Dave Jones as a manager, he is THE man to take umps forward.

Rant over, this debate got boring too long ago, time to move on.

Megson never deserved to be sack, it is crazy to think you could be third in the league and just beaten the Blades at home and still get the sack, I feel sorry for Megson, a lot of this was his work and his team. I firmly believe we would have gone up be it automatic or play offs if Megson was still in charge, we were fitter and more determined than a lot of the teams around us, something we owe alot to Meggo and his backroom staff.

Having said that Dave Jones went on a truly amazing run, staggering really, under Megson I highly doubt we'd have put such a run of form together. We went back to basics, DJ came in and realised if you kept the ball on the ground, played with two wingers, and just attacked teams you could do well in this league. However the influence of Antonio cannot be underestimated in DJs unbeaten run. He was key to our success, a Megson signing, if Megson could have been given the opportunity to use Antonio he may well have gone on a unstoppable run of form? Who knows.

Megson's influence was MASSIVE, without him we would not have/had the likes of Semedo, Batth, Llera, Lowe, Lines, Marshall and Antonio, all marvellous players who were/are fit, passionate, committed and dedicated, a team who really fought last season, Megson made some really impressive signings. He made the players understand what it was like to play forSWFC, he brought pride and passion back to the club, something which we had begun to lose over recent years. He had a positive effect on me, he really reminded me what is was like to support a massive club, he said the right things which got us all passionate about our club, his interviews were honest and always engaging, he is a Wednesdayite. Most importantly, 62 of our points were thanks to him, he left DJ in an unbelievable position to move forward and take us to the Championship.

However, I believe we have the better manager in Dave Jones, he will get us playing football and I feel as if as a side we will be more relaxed and confident next season. We were incredibly lucky to have two top managers last season, who's pedigrees were far too good for League One standard. They both have different and effective styles of football, but I prefer Dave Jones as a manager, he is THE man to take umps forward.

Rant over, this debate got boring too long ago, time to move on.

Good post.

Obviously we will never know for certain if Megson would have attained promotion. Personally, I don't think he would have. Like you said, I would never have seen Megson (or several other managers) go on the amazing unbeaten run Dave Jones and the team went on. It certainly was unbelievable. Without the run we wouldn't have got promotion.

It seems when Jones came to the club he installed a sense of calmness within the dressing room. A more "go out and enjoy yourselves lads" sort of style. The shackles were off, and so then the players expressed themselves. The players were given the freedom they should have been allowed at the beginning of the season.

Credit certainly has to go to Megson on the players he acquired. Although, whilst some may claim that our success was indicative of the signings Megson was responsible for, it's not just acquiring these players - it's utilising them to not only the teams strengths but also the players. Jones certainly did this when he arrived. The employment of two wingers also helped us tenfold. We were getting at teams more, letting them for once be scared of us and not the other way around.

We were winning and the players' confidence and belief were sky high. We feared absolutely no one, opponents feared us. No one was getting in our way. That's why we got promoted.

The lack of freedom and expression in our playing style were what let Megson down in my opinion. We were too happy to score then sit back and as we know, a few times it didn't work.

I hope Megson finds another job, he has a top managerial record but just needs to stop being stubborn and play two damn wingers and keep the fooooking ball down!1!!!

gary megson