An evening with Gary Megson

Guest owl forever

Guest foreverSWFC

Good post.

Obviously we will never know for certain if Megson would have attained promotion. Personally, I don't think he would have. Like you said, I would never have seen Megson (or several other managers) go on the amazing unbeaten run Dave Jones and the team went on. It certainly was unbelievable. Without the run we wouldn't have got promotion.

It seems when Jones came to the club he installed a sense of calmness within the dressing room. A more "go out and enjoy yourselves lads" sort of style. The shackles were off, and so then the players expressed themselves. The players were given the freedom they should have been allowed at the beginning of the season.

Credit certainly has to go to Megson on the players he acquired. Although, whilst some may claim that our success was indicative of the signings Megson was responsible for, it's not just acquiring these players - it's utilising them to not only the teams strengths but also the players. Jones certainly did this when he arrived. The employment of two wingers also helped us tenfold. We were getting at teams more, letting them for once be scared of us and not the other way around.

We were winning and the players' confidence and belief were sky high. We feared absolutely no one, opponents feared us. No one was getting in our way. That's why we got promoted.

The lack of freedom and expression in our playing style were what let Megson down in my opinion. We were too happy to score then sit back and as we know, a few times it didn't work.

I hope Megson finds another job, he has a top managerial record but just needs to stop being stubborn and play two damn wingers and keep the fooooking ball down!1!!!

gary megson

I agree completely, Megsons biggest flaw was being too defensive and just trying to scrape the win, I know as long as we win it doesn't matter, but the amount of nervous 2-1 victories we had were stupid. Under Megson we should have been more comfortable and never had that last 5 minutes of panic, DJ showed the players were capable of winning fairly easily, they could play football.

However, I think at times it is unfair to say Megso just played hoofball, I think that spell in September and October was the best footballing wise we had all season, it was exciting to watch. We had Marshall absolutely terrorising fullbacks and Madine just out bullying defenders., we were direct and quick on the break.

Megson had no Plan B, if things were going wrong I got the impression he didn't really know what to do, this was most evident in the Stevenage defeat 1-0, they were organised and more than happy dealing with the long ball, we never looked like we were hoping to play football or score. That was the first time I questioned wether Megson was going to get us promoted or not.

Guest lamort

Been invited to this at The Worley Arms tonight - will try and tweet if I can get a signal in Wortley, if not I'll post when I get back.

I'm sure it'll be interesting regardless of what he says - plus, the beer and food is always amazing at Wortley.

Been invited to this at The Worley Arms tonight - will try and tweet if I can get a signal in Wortley, if not I'll post when I get back.

I'm sure it'll be interesting regardless of what he says - plus, the beer and food is always amazing at Wortley.

I hope he is in happy, fun and enthusiatic gary megson mode rather than bitter, twisted and vindictive gary megson mode. I am not going but, if I was, I would be dreading it a little.

I still can't get my head around the attitude of some people. They seem stuck in this idea that you can only give praise and credit to either Megson or Jones rather than Megson and Jones. Maybe that's what it's like to be a tabloid editor when everything in the world exists only as purely white or purely black with the whole idea of grey being something beyond your conceptual understanding?

Anyway, I wonder what Megson makes of the club essentially trying to airbrush him from history when it comes to official publications regarding last season? Whatever the arguments between manager and chairman, it's still petulant to pretend Megson didn't play a big part.

I still can't get my head around the attitude of some people. They seem stuck in this idea that you can only give praise and credit to either Megson or Jones rather than Megson and Jones. Maybe that's what it's like to be a tabloid editor when everything in the world exists only as purely white or purely black with the whole idea of grey being something beyond your conceptual understanding?

Anyway, I wonder what Megson makes of the club essentially trying to airbrush him from history when it comes to official publications regarding last season? Whatever the arguments between manager and chairman, it's still petulant to pretend Megson didn't play a big part.

I can't figure out if you are responding directly to my post but with regard to my post in relation to yours: I would say that GM has every right to firstly, claim a proportion of the credit for promotion and secondly, be thoroughly hacked off about the way he was sacked and replaced. What I do know is that GM has (at least) two public personas:

1. Erudite, expressive, light, fun, articulate, engaging, bullish.
  2. Obstinate, stubborn, headstrong, inflexible, vocal, forthright.

I really like Megson for a few reasons and believe that he is always candid - a very refreshing attitude in these days of caution and spin. However, the people at The Wortley Arms will want to be entertained and, irrespective of whether GM talks about his sacking, I think that they will get better value for money if GM is erudite, expressive, light, fun, articulate, engaging and bullish.

Guest lamort

Yes, great night. Nothing said we didn't already know but he was funny, in a light hearted mood and you could tell he truly loves Wednesday.

His impersonation of Jack Charlton and Brian Clough was fantastic!

Guest Buggleskkely

I probably saw every game that Gary played for us, and I know what the Club means to him. Glad the night went well . UTFO.

Guest Big Guns

I'm not so sure you would. I believe most Wednesday fans NOW agree with the tough and controversial decision Milan made and would be comfortable saying that to Megson.

I believe Megson would have gotten us to the play-offs - not automatic, and his brand of football was not enjoyable to watch.

Megson was the right manager to get the job started, Dave Jones is the right man to finish it. Teamwork.

I bet megson disagrees with that

Basically saying he's not a good enough manager to finish the job

It's true but he won't admit it ....

Yet he was good enough to get West Brom into the Premier League twice and keep an ordinary Bolton team there despite opposition from the fans throughout?

Guest lamort

When asked he said 'No one knows how it would have gone, but he would have liked the chance' - and that he managed to do it at West Brom and things were on course at Wednesday.

He was a lot less bitter than portrayed in Late Kick-Off - but he's had time to think about it I guess.

He spoke a lot about his hate of Neil Warnock - that was quite funny!

Edited by lamort