9 outa 10

Guest bungledinho

Guest bungledinho

Just seen this and it made me laugh

Blunts tally of 90 points would have guaranteed automatic promotion to the Champ in 9 of the last 10 seasons

:tango: :tango: :tango:lol lol lolgary megson gary megson gary megson

Guest Distraught!

How many times in the last 30 years would having a 35 goal striker and being the highest scorers in the league have guaranteed promotion?

When it rains, it pours! :biggrin:lol:ghoulguy:

How many times in the last 30 years would having a 35 goal striker and being the highest scorers in the league have guaranteed promotion?

When it rains, it pours! :biggrin:lol:ghoulguy:

To be fair, Peterborough were top scorers last year and still had to go up through the playoffs, and they scored a fair bit more than United have done this season. Scoring loads doesn't matter if you concede just as many!

I think it's true that Sheffield United now hold a record with Sunderland for the only team to reach 90 points and not get automatic promotion.

In a way I wish they won that final game of the immediate season as they'd have achieved 92 points, which would have beaten Sunderland's record.

Good site for points gained by top 3 clubs in League 1 over the years:

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/league-one/honours

You caused me some right stress this season you did. Your post early doors about hitting 90 points to go up, no team in this league has failed to go up with that total etc. my first reply to that was we would be the first. And it haunted me til the final whistle against wycombe.

Obviously the fact it happened to the pigs made it even sweeter but FFS man, be careful with the stats in future. Some of us don't need an excuse to panic about Wednesday.

Have to say though, this is the first season for years where everything seems to have gone right. It's a strange feeling but one I could get used to. So, do we need 92 points to guarantee going up next season? Might as well get the thread over with as I'm bound to look for myself eventually. It'd just be better if you carried on the tradition I think.

Actually, thinking about it isn't that thread title kind to them? 90 points would have guaranteed them promotion from this league every year bar this one wouldn't it? So it should be 99 out of 100 or however many years there's been a 3rd division. Go to it stattos, let's have the real figures.

Edited by latemodelchild

Actually, thinking about it isn't that thread title kind to them? 90 points would have guaranteed them promotion from this league every year bar this one wouldn't it? So it should be 99 out of 100 or however many years there's been a 3rd division. Go to it stattos, let's have the real figures.

It wouldn't have guaranteed them promotion last season either. Southampton went up in 2nd place with 92 points. So I guess it's 8 out of the last 10 if we include the season that's just finished.

Looking at the link that Daz put up, I work out that it's 27 out of the last 31 (since 3 points for a win was introduced) where 90 points would have guaranteed promotion. On 2 occasions 2nd place had 90 points so it would have been down to goal difference - so no guarantee. :rolleyes:

Edit.

Had to look again. 9 times out 31, 90 points would have guaranteed winning the league. :biggrin:

Edited by roaminowl

You caused me some right stress this season you did. Your post early doors about hitting 90 points to go up, no team in this league has failed to go up with that total etc. my first reply to that was we would be the first. And it haunted me til the final whistle against wycombe.

Obviously the fact it happened to the pigs made it even sweeter but FFS man, be careful with the stats in future. Some of us don't need an excuse to panic about Wednesday.

Have to say though, this is the first season for years where everything seems to have gone right. It's a strange feeling but one I could get used to. So, do we need 92 points to guarantee going up next season? Might as well get the thread over with as I'm bound to look for myself eventually. It'd just be better if you carried on the tradition I think.

:biggrin: - I was always confident that 90 points would be enough for automatics - and if we'd have only got 90 with a better goal difference then it would have been.

It looked all over in February when we needed about 12 wins, 2 draws, 1 defeat or something like that - looked well beyond our reach. So to get to 93 points was amazing and that run was the best I think I've ever seen us have in my lifetime.

Next season?? - let's keep the momentum up - so we only need 30 wins and 16 defeats :rolleyes: and Bob's your uncle!

Seriously though - if we could get around 60-70 points it will have been a good season - but let's hope we can emulate Norwich and Southampton and do even better.

:biggrin: - I was always confident that 90 points would be enough for automatics - and if we'd have only got 90 with a better goal difference then it would have been.

It looked all over in February when we needed about 12 wins, 2 draws, 1 defeat or something like that - looked well beyond our reach. So to get to 93 points was amazing and that run was the best I think I've ever seen us have in my lifetime.

Next season?? - let's keep the momentum up - so we only need 30 wins and 16 defeats :rolleyes: and Bob's your uncle!

Seriously though - if we could get around 60-70 points it will have been a good season - but let's hope we can emulate Norwich and Southampton and do even better.

If we could do a Huddersfield and become unbeaten for a while next season it would be nice. We rarely have a good start to a season in my experience. I remember that 4-1 vs Burnley! Except we lost to Wolves 4-1 the game after. :rolleyes:

I think 60-70 points would be a good achievement but we could do better or worse depending on which players we manage to sign, its all up in the air at the moment and any predictions at this moment in time are just too vague. We'll know a bit more come August I reckon.