Stephen Bywater

What do we think of Stephen Bywater since he has joined then?

In my opinion, he's obviously a bit of a character and an experienced head in comparison to ROD. He seems to talk to the defence and keep them a bit calmer and we have had a few clean sheets.

Up until Chesterfield he hadnt really had a save to make and he's had to do the basics of goalkeeping so far. I think he's done that well, but is he a bit rusty at getting down to make a save? Ched Evan's header was a good one, but you could argue he shouldn't have been beaten at the near post.

I can't make my mind up about him yet. With the likes of Grant and Weaver I was confident they would make that kind of "get out of jail" save, but I havent got that impression from Bywater yet.

i think he should have got to the evans header. other than that he's had nowt to do other than talk to his defenders, i can't even remember him having to come and catch a cross???

Much as i hate to admit it, it's a damn good header with enough pace to easily zip past Bywater. He has to cover all his goal not just his front post, if he was too far toward his near post he would be unable to recover his position in order to save a back post header. Unfortunately that goal was a goal that is solely the defences fault.

I don't think he's really had a chance with any of the goals. Goalkeeping is one area where it's very easy to point fingers and lay blame, and I honestly don't think he could have done a great deal with United's second goal yesterday.

The fact remains, that Bywater hasnt had to make a proper save as yet. And that is testimony to the players in front of him, and his organisational skills. Since he's arrived we have won three and drawn one, climbed seven places in the league and only conceded three goals. He's helped steady the ship, and I'd personally love us to make the deal a permanent one if the opportunity arrived.

Weaver is a good keeper, but he's coming towards the end of his career, and although there was hopes for ROD, the introduction of Bywater has perhaps just highlighted that he isn't quite ready just yet. Bywater isn't wanted at Derby, seems to be loving it here, and is in my opinion, a superior keeper to Weaver. I can't see Derby wanting a fee, and so if Bywater's terms are right, there's no reason why a deal can't be done.

As I said in the OP I thought he could've done better with the second United goal, but perhaps he was unsighted for a split second?

I just think you sometimes get keepers like Grant who make great saves and you get others who are more of a presence but less agile.

As I said in the OP I thought he could've done better with the second United goal, but perhaps he was unsighted for a split second?

I just think you sometimes get keepers like Grant who make great saves and you get others who are more of a presence but less agile.

I think people have a bit of a deluded view of Grant. He was a great shot stopper but his overall game wasnt the best. Bywater is a decision maker, defences prefer that, to someone like ROD or Grant who second guess themselves. I would rather our keeper come out and get it and the defence know that than the constant indecision we have seen between our back four and our goalkeeper in the past few seasons.

He seems a bit dodgy at coming for the ball, for me.

Noticed a couple of times when he shouldb e coming out to claim a ball or clear it he seems to stand in his goal, with the defender expecting him to come.

other than that, I think he's a good signing. ROD is obviously a good young keeper with potential, but at this time we really needed an experienced head in goal.

For me, we need to see how he plays in a game where we're under a lot of pressure. Since he's been here, we've not really been under a sustained spell of pressure (testament to the improved defence and his communication).

Obviously I hope we never find that out, but when we come up against preston, hudds i think we'll see how he really copes

I think people have a bit of a deluded view of Grant. He was a great shot stopper but his overall game wasnt the best. Bywater is a decision maker, defences prefer that, to someone like ROD or Grant who second guess themselves. I would rather our keeper come out and get it and the defence know that than the constant indecision we have seen between our back four and our goalkeeper in the past few seasons.

I thought that Grant certainly had elements of his game that needed sorting, such as his command of the area (which I thought was starting to improve). I thought he was a great keeper for us, sad to see him leave and I'd have him back over Bywater actually.