Liam Palmer, again.

What about Ryan Jones?

Ryan Jones, I think could have become very good for us but for injury.

I'd thought of Jones - he's worthy of a shout actually, and perhaps moreso than Hyde.

I remembering him weighing in with a fair number of goals from midfield in the 92/93 season.

He did look good actually - had it not been for the injury he could have really blossomed.

As an aside, I remember him getting booed one game at home too around the time Francis got sacked; the whole team were struggling and Jones got targeted after a couple of off-key displays.

Incredible that we have to go back almost 20 years to find a midfielder of note from the youth squad though.

Edited by DamnedOwl

Guest oliver666

How much would you value Palmer at now?

His stock is rising week upon week, does he have a lengthy contract?

We need to be successful if we are going to keep hold of the likes Liam Palmer. It would be a travesty if he went the same way as Slew from United. It isn't case of being paranoid, but he could play a big part in Wednesdays future. I would also put Madine in that bracket as well.

We need to be successful if we are going to keep hold of the likes Liam Palmer. It would be a travesty if he went the same way as Slew from United. It isn't case of being paranoid, but he could play a big part in Wednesdays future. I would also put Madine in that bracket as well.

We don't need to sell players anymore, if a Slew-Blackburn situation came along I doubt we'd sell him.

Actually f##k face i said his best position is in the centre which it is,he does a team job out right but for the lad to develop fully he wants a central role at some stageeve if it is only 10 mins here and there at the end of games that we are home and dry.

So you know better than megson do you ??.

You are only happy when you are flipping moaning

Did today`s Result spoil your weekend ?

Is this thread a back handed praise for the academy?

I thought Palmer for all of his young years looked like a kid playing in the park with no nerves and a calmness that some of his more experienced colleagues could learn from. He made the midfield more balanced and defended well too when required. He didn't panic and used the ball extremely well.

Guest oliver666

We don't need to sell players anymore, if a Slew-Blackburn situation came along I doubt we'd sell him.

It might not be a case of not having to sell him, if GM keeps having him in and out of the team then, LP might get a little pised off especially if a Premier side came in for him. From what players we have in the squad, Liam has to start. The guy is head and shoulders above Lines, Sedgewick and JJ.

Actually f##k face i said his best position is in the centre which it is,he does a team job out right but for the lad to develop fully he wants a central role at some stageeve if it is only 10 mins here and there at the end of games that we are home and dry.

Are you not able to make a post without being aggressive, swearing or being negative?

Guest GodsanOwl

We have 2 fantastic young midfielders in the making. Hopefully we will resist the temptations and keep them at Hillsborough to let them eventually perform in the Premiership!

I'm really struggling to think of the last midfielder from the youth set up that the fans got genuinely excited about.

I'm thinking back to about 85, and not one player springs to mind.

I can think of Hyde, but competent though he was, I don't remember the fans getting all that excited about him (not really that type of player really, tbf).

Surely I'm suffering a mind-block and there's been a midfielder of note over the last 25 years from the youth team.

Owen Morrisson, Alan Quinn.

Or do they not count if they were brought in from Irish sides?

I think it's fantastic that we have him as an option for centre or out wide or even at RB if desperate. Only a month ago we were worried about not having cover on the wing and we needed a creative centre midfielder. Now we have Liam who can play in both positions. I wouldn't be so worried now if Prutts or Semedo picked up a knock cos he'd do well in the middle with either one of them

Is this thread a back handed praise for the academy?

Not intentionally.

I get the impression that Palmer and Nyoni might come good despite the academy, not because of it.

We need a winning mentality from bottom up, not a "it's the taking part that counts" mentality our academy seems to have. (or seemed to have had....is it being addressed yet?)

Edited by salmonbones

It might not be a case of not having to sell him, if GM keeps having him in and out of the team then, LP might get a little pised off especially if a Premier side came in for him. From what players we have in the squad, Liam has to start. The guy is head and shoulders above Lines, Sedgewick and JJ.

Good call!

As a worksop lad it's lovely to see someone from our town do well for himself as a professional sportsman. Did well on the right today and has shown his versatility in recent weeks with the positions he's played in the cup games. But I'd like to see him with a run of games in the middle as that's his natural position just to see how he does.