Megsons future...

Guest philkingsmullet

Reading while I have some sympathy for your theory that Megson hasn't had a complete free hand in his transfer dealings, he has been afforded more than most managers at this level. Look at Danny Wilson across the city, a team in absolute freefall, unrest amongst the supporters, burdened by a bigger debt than we ever were and forced to sell his best players. Do you here him whinge? No he gets on with the job, adding 2 or 3 of his own players and installing his own football philosophy. They sit atop of the league playing exciting attacking football. Compared to Wilson, Megsons job is a walk in the park and quite honestly, he needs to start producing. No more excuses

Guest JonTheOwl66

To the guy who said England won't win a major tournament anytime soon - I beg you to look at Jack Wilshere, Tom Cleverley and Phil Jones. All young and have big futures ahead of them.

But back onto Wednesday. Megson won't be going anywhere anytime soon. I do genuinely feel we will be top 6 come Christmas and then push for top 2 after strengthening appropriately in January.

Megson's the right man for me.

Should the worst happen on Monday, and we get battered, how long do you think MM will stick with megson??

Genuine question...

I have a feeling he wouldnt let an irvine situation arise again.

My gut feeling is he might be gone by the end of September if we are not firmly in the top 6.

tail

Look at Danny Wilson across the city, a team in absolute freefall, unrest amongst the supporters, burdened by a bigger debt than we ever were and forced to sell his best players.

I don't think that is a fair comparison TBH.

They came down due to poor management with a still, championship squad. And have retained most of them, either by default (because nobody wanted them) or design.

We came down with a poor squad, even to compete in this division.

Then add to that the poor deadwood/journeyman purchases made by Irvine. For which we are still paying a legacy.

Megson was handed a much more poisoned chalace than Wilson IMO.

Add, to that, the suspected about turn by McCabe - I think he will throw money at it now, or certainly not take budget away. Shyte or bust, so to speak. That is why they retained Quinn. How much is he on?

Finally, Megson has not had a free hand in his purchases, I suspect.

To say that Megson 'has had a free hand' and should now get on with it, is unfair IMO.

Look at our budget compared to Charlton/Huddersfield/Sheffield United.

There is no comparison, I suspect.

Guest philkingsmullet

tail

I've asked for opinions on the timescales megson might be given, the pressure that might be heaped on him should we get 'found out' in our next two games.

I haven't slated him, i haven't said I think we will lose our next two games.

How that makes me a 'tail' .... I'll never know.

Can't believe I am reading some of the bile in this topic.

How long did Jackie Charlton get? 8 months! no 2 years to get us out of this division.

We are 5/6 games into this season for crying out loud!

Give Megson a chance. As for saying Irvine was better! A look at the win rates in league games and points per game in league game stats soon puts paid to that stupid theory.

So we are out of the JP cup or whatever its called. So what!

I remember last season some peoples lovechild (dont know why) Neil Mellor was seriously injured in the competition.

Edited by wednesdayinsane

Reading while I have some sympathy for your theory that Megson hasn't had a complete free hand in his transfer dealings, he has been afforded more than most managers at this level. he needs to start producing. No more excuses

Exactly and I would put us in the top 6 on that score. I need to be persuaded either way. The thing that will convince me we are going in the right direction more than anything else is when we start testing the oppositions goalie on a regular basis. At the moment the chances we create every game can be counted on one hand and that has to be down to the tactics.

Exactly and I would put us in the top 6 on that score. I need to be persuaded either way. The thing that will convince me we are going in the right direction more than anything else is when we start testing the oppositions goalie on a regular basis. At the moment the chances we create every game can be counted on one hand and that has to be down to the tactics.

Did you not see the last 2 home games?

I remember last season being played off the park at home almost every game!

But yes the chances could be counted on one hand couldn't they?

Edited by wednesdayinsane

Guest alizeraati

this is a typical wednesday approach, even if we are playing well on the pitch, the fans will think of anything to condemn. pointless.

Reading I beg to differ, Uniteds demise was almost identical to ours, we both were badly managed and they were relegated with an equally appalling group of players. Wilson has taken less of a knee-jerk approach, probably because he knew he would have to work with those players. The only thing in their favour was that they have some very promising players coming through. Negating that is the fact that they have to compete still under the huge burden of debt, an excuse that many of us were still using pre Mandaric.

I've never failed to be surprised about how quickly a team can suddenly go on a run of results after finding the right formula or balance within the team.

Megson has known what he wants to do with the team all summer but has been hindered by not always being able to bring his first choice targets in. Yet, despite enduring what has ultimately proven to be a frustrating summer, and a stuttering opening to the season, with him still trying to recruit missing parts of the jigsaw, with the assorted loose change available, he maintains his optimism and belief that this can be a promotion season.

Something needs to click, the balance of the team needs to be right, and we need players on the bench who can make a positive

impact when coming on. Because our squad is not huge, again because of the need to be prudent, we also need more luck than we have been having with injuries.

Megson works with what he has got and inmy opinion, is doing a magnificent job in the player recruitment department with what he has got to spend.

What we're waiting for now, and I'm sure we're nearly there, is for the first eleven to be finalised, for Megson's ideas and tactics to embedded, and well rehearsed, and for the initial spark as catalyst to a decent unbeaten run, and I am certain it will happen at some stage. We can cope with the odd defeat during the interim period.

Onwards and upwards.

Good post........very succinct and spot on imo.

Reading I beg to differ, Uniteds demise was almost identical to ours, we both were badly managed and they were relegated with an equally appalling group of players. Wilson has taken less of a knee-jerk approach, probably because he knew he would have to work with those players. The only thing in their favour was that they have some very promising players coming through. Negating that is the fact that they have to compete still under the huge burden of debt, an excuse that many of us were still using pre Mandaric.

They have as much or as little 'debt' as McCabe dictates.

I don't expect him to jeapordise their good start, do you?

I agree that Megson will be judged by his results. All I am saying is that I don't think he has had, unlimited support, a big budget or unfettered dealings in the transfer market.

I don't necessarily think that this would be his ideal team, given sufficient funds.

On that basis, given what he inherited, then I personally will not judging him harshly - whatever the outcome of this season.

Some think we are competing with the 'big boys' in this division Re: budget.

Well, we are not IMO.

As I said I sympathise with your point that Megson has not been backed in the way he would have liked. However, he decided he had to make so many changes, resulting in the need not only to procure a complete new team, but to pay off half the old one. Maybe a more considered approach may well have left him more money in the budget to bring in better players. Although McCabe may not directly jeopardise Uniteds future their debt does impact on them with the need to sell players. Reading I think you are right about McCabe, I think he has seen the positive start made by Wilson and decided to release the purse strings in an attempt to go straight back up. I see in the press this morning they are negotiating a cut price deal with Rangers to bring Beattie back to the club. Rangers will apparently pick up 80% of his wages. Also a similar deal is being mooted for the return of Jordan Slew. To be honest I don't give a flying f@ck what United do but I can't keep listening to all the pathetic excuses being trotted out on here.