Megsons future...

Guest philkingsmullet

Nothing wrong with a positive outlook, and I'm backing him all the way.

That said, I'd rather quit now than become an Owlstalk, happy clapper, blind faith, wouldn't dare criticise anything, then go quiet when it's obvious we have fooked up. ie Turner, Irvine etc.

Fact is, never really rated the ginger one, but that was at a higher level. At this level with MM's backing he should deliver. If he doesn't, then he should give it up.

Guest Triplej2

Very split about Megson. I went to the fans forum at Hillsborough bout a week after Megson signed & was worried about his footballing philosophy. Although at least he was upfront about it.

He seemed to me to have a very British, outdated view of football. That only the top few teams in the country (top of the tree as he calls it) have the players with the ability to play a passing game. Everyone below could not achieve success, unless they hoofed the ball up field.

It is this view that has resulted in the England football team being a joke internationally, and why we won’t win the World Cup for at least two decades. More forward thinking managers and teams in England have a different view, which is why we are seeing teams such as Doncaster, Bury & Chessy massively over performing. The passing game works at every level. Spain world cup winners, Barcelona EC winners, Spain U21 world cup winners. Will we be the last country to see this?

I personally see a little glimmer of hope. I thing GM started with the full intention of turning SWFC into a kick and run team regardless of the squad. I now think he has seen that we have players who can play football (Madine,Palmer etc) and has changed his tactics a little. Still not sure that GM is the right man for the long term. Hope he is.

That's a top post!

Guest TonyOwl88

We're 12th, and we didn't even play yet.

3 points off 4th

1 point off top 6

100% home record

Only just managed to bring in a striker that we've been after all summer. (MM knows that responsibility lays with him).

I'd say Megson has another 4 months before MM even looks at the table to check how we're doing. If we're anywhere near, he'll have the season surely.

I know MM is a bit trigger happy, but there is no crisis here, and this topic is a bit of wee wee take imo.

Guest Triplej2

We're 12th, and we didn't even play yet.

3 points off 4th

1 point off top 6

100% home record

Only just managed to bring in a striker that we've been after all summer. (MM knows that responsibility lays with him).

I'd say Megson has another 4 months before MM even looks at the table to check how we're doing. If we're anywhere near, he'll have the season surely.

I know MM is a bit trigger happy, but there is no crisis here, and this topic is a bit of wee wee take imo.

All those things are true, however there is an underlying fear with alot of fans that agricultural football could rear it's head at any moment. A few more good performances should lay that to rest. A couple of spankings or long ball performances will set serious alarm bells ringing.

Agreed. This is a bit of a nobbers negative thread, particulary because of how the word 'future' is usually used in the football media.

Should have been Megson's potential thread, or no thread at all until October. The thread title is probably more dramatic that than the originator intended.

Agreed. This is a bit of a nobbers negative thread, particulary because of how the word 'future' is usually used in the football media.

Should have been Megson's potential thread, or no thread at all until October. The thread title is probably more dramatic that than the originator intended.

Probably.. Hopefully their will be no hint of such threads. :happy:

Why put oourselves through the mangle ? Promotion will niether be won or lost at Charlton.

The god Football On High is a very fickle entity often slapping down those who rise above their station and often giving a leg up to those whos plight is dire, as I'm sure we all agree and have experienced.

To place our fate in the hands of one match is silly. Megson has a team that he has assembled (with more than a little interference)absent of one or two of his first choices. Milan has stated conveniently after the transfer window has closed that his manager will be supported in the loan market.

Megson knows his remit and he measures his progress with the team not match by match bu in groups of 5 or six games. At the moment he is a little behind par of 10 points from 5 games and could be further behind without a win at Charlton. However, a win at Charlton will not tell us as much about our progress as will our points tally from played 15 where we need to be at 28+.

So good luck to the lads at Charlton but lets not go on being prophets of doom should the worst happen, and by the same token, should we win...Lets keep an eagle eye on that played 15 points total !

UTO WTID

Very split about Megson. I went to the fans forum at Hillsborough bout a week after Megson signed & was worried about his footballing philosophy. Although at least he was upfront about it. He seemed to me to have a very British, outdated view of football. That only the top few teams in the country (top of the tree as he calls it) have the players with the ability to play a passing game. Everyone below could not achieve success, unless they hoofed the ball up field. It is this view that has resulted in the England football team being a joke internationally, and why we won’t win the World Cup for at least two decades. More forward thinking managers and teams in England have a different view, which is why we are seeing teams such as Doncaster, Bury & Chessy massively over performing. The passing game works at every level. Spain world cup winners, Barcelona EC winners, Spain U21 world cup winners. Will we be the last country to see this? I personally see a little glimmer of hope. I thing GM started with the full intention of turning SWFC into a kick and run team regardless of the squad. I now think he has seen that we have players who can play football (Madine,Palmer etc) and has changed his tactics a little. Still not sure that GM is the right man for the long term. Hope he is.

Other than Bournemouth and Bury, Megson has shown an appetite for good football on the deck with the ability to mix it up and play long when needed. Teams that play passing football for 90 mins, although pleasing on the eye, dont always have the ruthlessness to achieve success, that can be seen with Arsenal, Doncaster and perhaps even Bury and Chesterfield so far this season.

I dont like to see us hoof it, but I think we've got a good mix now, we played some good stuff vs Scunny.

If we made the playoffs this season and lost out, do you think MM would stick with Megson?

Should the worst happen on Monday, and we get battered, how long do you think MM will stick with megson??

Genuine question...

I have a feeling he wouldnt let an irvine situation arise again.

My gut feeling is he might be gone by the end of September if we are not firmly in the top 6.

Don't mean to be rude, but flip off please.

Top post indeed and probably how I see it Early on I was well wary of Megson at our club but I have to say I'm encouraged by the way he's tried to do things a different way. He played decent football at West Brom, mainly because the fans there let him know in no uncertain terms that they would never accept anything less, and he was successful. Apart from his first few games, I think his team has tried to play football. However, some 35 games into his tenure and now with his own squad, he needs to show that we are serious promotion candidates. Too early to think about deadlines but certainly Milan will expect us to be camped in that top six. Defeats against our rivals Charlton and MK Dons may not result in him being sacked but he really would be on very shaky ground.

Top post indeed and probably how I see it Early on I was well wary of Megson at our club but I have to say I'm encouraged by the way he's tried to do things a different way. He played decent football at West Brom, mainly because the fans there let him know in no uncertain terms that they would never accept anything less, and he was successful. Apart from his first few games, I think his team has tried to play football. However, some 35 games into his tenure and now with his own squad, he needs to show that we are serious promotion candidates. Too early to think about deadlines but certainly Milan will expect us to be camped in that top six. Defeats against our rivals Charlton and MK Dons may not result in him being sacked but he really would be on very shaky ground.

campbell.JPG

Shot down for asking for some views. Standard owlstalk cliques.

It's not really as simple as that though, you're asking something which shouldn't really enter anyone's mind at this point in the season/Megson's tenure. Especially after the progress we've made so far.

Do you think it would be fair to start a thread called "Should we protest to get Mandaric out if we don't get promoted this season?"?

Because I don't, and I think asking the question you did is almost as silly as that one.

Football managers are paid to win football games. The chairman has told us it will cost him around £7m not getting promotion. gary megson has spent the money that was available, on players that he wanted. We've got two very difficult games over the next week. He needs to pick up points. So we don't fall too far behind the leading pack.

It's up to gary megson and his players to deliver the goods.

Guest philkingsmullet

Don't mean to be rude, but flip off please.

Articulate, to the point, and ever so slighty rude. Thank you for your input .

Guest intercity0wl

Nonsense to talk about sacking the guy just now after only about 35 games. However for all the clappers out there, Irvine wasn't given too much longer and his record was slightly better.

And his team and the football it played was slightly alot worse.

I think Christmas will be the time for decisions If results improve then he should get more time, if not, then get rid.

Megson has to stay for the long haul IMO (if he doesn't walk).

It's no good chopping and changing.

He has an good track record in management and we will not get anyone better IMO, given our circumstances.

For all you saying; 'this is his squad' - Well it isn't really is it, he was given Hobsons Choice. We don't know that all his 'real' targets were gained. There has certainly been some interference.

How many of you can say that he has been given 'full backing'?

I always thought it would take more than just this season to turn things around. Unless he was given an unlimited budget, as Charlton appear to have been.

Patience is required. Tough after years of mediocrity.

But that is my view.

Guest intercity0wl

I think Christmas will be the time for decisions If results improve then he should get more time, if not, then get rid.

I take it the results that you would like improving are just the Away ones ?, unless 7 wins out of the last 8 at home aint good enough ?.

This season the Home stats read, played Three, won Three, scored 7 conceeded 3, and thats without ever yet having JJ, COG or LOWE playing any part of those home victories, yea i carn,t wait foe the improvement to come as well.