UNOFFICIALLY NOW OFFICIAL - JOSE SEMEDO SIGNS

Guest wednesday_lass

Guest BoomTownOwls

I would just like to point out to Wednesday Lass that I was the one that stuck up for you when there were all the doubters circling like vultures.

If you want me to get stuck up you again, I am there for you.

Edited by BoomTownOwls

Megson said in his Wednesday Player interview he expects little to no goals from Semedo or Prutton but that the others will be expected to get them.

Now we need to bring in couple of "providers", creative central midfielder, and winger with good delivery (not pick-up truck).

I would just like to point out to Wednesday Lass that I was the one that stuck up for you when there were all the doubters circling like vultures.

If you want me to get stuck up you again, I am there for you.

Go on son, slip her that length, split her brown 'un' right open. :ls:

Guest Saturday Owl

This guy is apparently a tank, not much gets through him in this league and clubs at higher levels were looking at him.

Chuffed that we're signing a very strong League One squad, unlike last season we're we tried relying on a bunch of OAP's to get us promoted.

Charlton fan here in peace. Thought I'd post as you seem like a good bunch of lads.

Re Semedo, I reckon you've got the facts about right. He played about 3 full seasons for us, starting regularly in our relegation season from The Championship. He was signed on Championship wages of £6k per week & since our relegation, he's been one of our 3 top wage earners along with Racon also on £6k per week & Youga was on £8k per week.

He's been one of our better players over the last few years, but that's not hard considering how poor we've been.Semedo will give you 100% & he's a good tackler. He will also pick up about a dozen yellows a season and probably at least one red.

There are probably 2 reasons we didn't re-sign him. Firstly, whilst a good solid player, it doesn't seem to be enough. He generally passes the ball sideways or backwards and gets a nosebleed if he gets anywhere need the opposition penalty box ( I was going to say over the half way line, but thought I'd be generous).

He will score once a season if you are lucky. He can't shoot ( well we didn't think he could, but he never got close enough to know) and he's no more than average in the air. He also lacks pace.

I think we offered him £3k pw and you offered £4k pw. The fact that money talks and his brother lives near Sheffield, meant you signed him.

If we really wanted to keep him, I think we would have.

The fans were split 50/50 for the above reasons.

NB Danny Green's goal yesterday :-

PS Danny Green was outstanding in our friendly 0-3 win at Welling yesterday, with a 25 yard scorcher & Morrison also looked very good and scored the 2nd.

Best of luck for the season, quite happy for you to get promoted as long as we go up with you.

There are probably 2 reasons we didn't re-sign him. Firstly, whilst a good solid player, it doesn't seem to be enough. He generally passes the ball sideways or backwards and gets a nosebleed if he gets anywhere need the opposition penalty box ( I was going to say over the half way line, but thought I'd be generous).

He will score once a season if you are lucky. He can't shoot ( well we didn't think he could, but he never got close enough to know) and he's no more than average in the air. He also lacks pace.

This is exactly what we want from a defensive midfielder.

If he was always bursting into the box when we attack he wouldn't be in a good position to defend when the other team breaks out.

We have had a big problem at this club with defensive midfielders not doing their job properly and breaking up field deluding themselves on their attacking ability....(JOC), then our midfield gets overrun when the ball comes the other way.

It's about time we had a player who knows his role in the team and does it well. Leave the attacking to those who can do it.

Megson has a plan and I'm quietly confident he will pull it off.

good luck with the season...I'm sure you will be contenders but i think we will finish above you.

Guest TonyOwl88

Well, it was just on the OS...and now it's not.

So i'm confused.

I hope he's good because according to WednesdayPlayer we signed 5 of him.

Charlton fan here in peace. Thought I'd post as you seem like a good bunch of lads.

Re Semedo, I reckon you've got the facts about right. He played about 3 full seasons for us, starting regularly in our relegation season from The Championship. He was signed on Championship wages of £6k per week & since our relegation, he's been one of our 3 top wage earners along with Racon also on £6k per week & Youga was on £8k per week.

He's been one of our better players over the last few years, but that's not hard considering how poor we've been.Semedo will give you 100% & he's a good tackler. He will also pick up about a dozen yellows a season and probably at least one red.

I think we offered him £3k pw and you offered £4k pw. The fact that money talks and his brother lives near Sheffield, meant you signed him.

If we really wanted to keep him, I think we would have.

The fans were split 50/50 for the above reasons.

NB Danny Green's goal yesterday :-

PS Danny Green was outstanding in our friendly 0-3 win at Welling yesterday, with a 25 yard scorcher & Morrison also looked very good and scored the 2nd.

Best of luck for the season, quite happy for you to get promoted as long as we go up with you.

No offence pal but i smell abit of bulls**t here,how the hell would you know how much we are paying him? i think its abit of sour grapes to be fair that we`ve nicked your player of the year,for what its worth i think you did all you could to keep him but he just wanted to play for a bigger club. lol

It's what I heard. I don't think we tried to keep him as a CAFC director told me in March that he'd be gone. Anyway, I'm not slating the guy. I wouldn't have minded if he had stayed, but I do think we need a fresh start and get rid of most of the players that got us relegated and then took us to our 2nd worse position since WW2.

NB Johnnie Jackson would have won POTY if he had played a full season, but he was out since, I think February (coinciding with our plummeting down the table) and I think Bradley Wright-Phillips would have got 2nd, but only played half a season.

Like I said a lot of the fans loved him, certainly no one disliked him, but his limitations meant we have tried to do better & probably for less wages.

It's what I heard. I don't think we tried to keep him as a CAFC director told me in March that he'd be gone. Anyway, I'm not slating the guy. I wouldn't have minded if he had stayed, but I do think we need a fresh start and get rid of most of the players that got us relegated and then took us to our 2nd worse position since WW2.

NB Johnnie Jackson would have won POTY if he had played a full season, but he was out since, I think February (coinciding with our plummeting down the table) and I think Bradley Wright-Phillips would have got 2nd, but only played half a season.

Like I said a lot of the fans loved him, certainly no one disliked him, but his limitations meant we have tried to do better & probably for less wages.

I cant quite grasp the part about his limitations,surely a defensive mid is exactly that,no frills,breaks play up,simple ball,let the creative ones play football.

Guest TonyOwl88

This is exactly what we want from a defensive midfielder.

If he was always bursting into the box when we attack he wouldn't be in a good position to defend when the other team breaks out.

We have had a big problem at this club with defensive midfielders not doing their job properly and breaking up field deluding themselves on their attacking ability....(JOC), then our midfield gets overrun when the ball comes the other way.

It's about time we had a player who knows his role in the team and does it well. Leave the attacking to those who can do it.

Megson has a plan and I'm quietly confident he will pull it off.

good luck with the season...I'm sure you will be contenders but i think we will finish above you.

I agree. How many times have we looked toothless in midfield because our defensive players like Potter and JOC are too busy reaking of futility infront of goal?

Somebody who can get stuck in, take the ball or even just break oposition play up, and then maintain posession by making simple passes and letting others go forward.... that's what we wanted, and have baught. Isn't that what defensive midfielders are supposed to do anyway?

I thought Charlton would be pretty strong next year, but if people like Michael Morrison have as much interest in Charlton as he did in Wednesday, and tries just as hard.... you're un-workable.

I cant quite grasp the part about his limitations,surely a defensive mid is exactly that,no frills,breaks play up,simple ball,let the creative ones play football.

Well yes, 50 % of our fans think that & the other 50% think it's not enough to have a midfielder who normally passes the ball sideways or backwards and will only get you 1 goal a season if you're lucky. When you're at home to say Walsall and they have 11 men behind the ball, do you really need a very defensive midfield player ?

After a couple of seasons with us getting steadily worse, was Semedo part of the problem, no one really knows ?