Nathan Modest

Guest ionowl

For what it will cost us, give him another year It's true he's not done himself any favours with his performances for Darlo, but the kid has pace to burn Throughout the squad we lack pace and as a front player, if you have pace, you always have a chance As a fourteen year old he was monitored by Chelsea and Arsenal, so the guy obviously has potential Five years on and he wouldn't be the first youngster to fall short but as a squad, we are not blessed with so much pace, that another year would be a disaster

Guest Bannister

He has always had a very poor goal scoring record infact it hard to understand how a forward with electric pace can have such a poor goal record, i would have thought they could have tried to covert him to a winger unless he cant cross the ball either

This is a good point..... of all the changes SM made to the scholars over the last few years ie moving players out of their natural playing positions, Modest has been kept as a striker despite barely scoring throughout his time with the club - don't recall him ever been the lead goalscorer in his time at S6 and he's failed miserably at Darlington by all accounts

Guest Big Guns

the players lounge at ecco are looking 4 a striker next season not sure wot league there in ,is he any good at snooker.

I think that he can be used periodically under Megson, as he would fit into his style of football.

Modest aint some spectacular crosser of the ball, or whatever, but he is a strong fella that can keep hold of the ball under pressure. I guess if played his role would have been to get first to balls down the channel and get hold of it under he gets bit of support, lay it off and race in front of the goal.

He was used in similar role by McAuley, and did it very well, but at admitably awful level.

Modest is not an out-and-out striker, but somehow who could perhaps do the "dirty" work alongside one given chance.

I really don't understand what you see in him - he's awful. He's a reasonable athlete but he'll never be a footballer of note.

Guest Saturday Owl

Get rid, he's another Luke Boden and will more than likely never make it at this level.

Hopefully a fresh slate now in the academy and we can start building our own future generation.

I think that he can be used periodically under Megson, as he would fit into his style of football.

Modest aint some spectacular crosser of the ball, or whatever, but he is a strong fella that can keep hold of the ball under pressure. I guess if played his role would have been to get first to balls down the channel and get hold of it under he gets bit of support, lay it off and race in front of the goal.

He was used in similar role by McAuley, and did it very well, but at admitably awful level.

Modest is not an out-and-out striker, but somehow who could perhaps do the "dirty" work alongside one given chance.

I don't know what level you watched him at mate but he was marked out of the game by a fat, slow centre back on Monday. He's poo .

The fact we're closing down the reserves speaks volumes about the players who have played there.

Love it when people make excuses though rather than casting a critical eye on our hopes and destination.

Good luck Nathan.

Yes Banch....just yes

I really don't understand what you see in him - he's awful. He's a reasonable athlete but he'll never be a footballer of note.

Who said anything about rating him ?!

It would be lie to say that he doesn't have certain qualities, and I objectively wrote what he is good at.

With type of football Megson is favoring, he could find use for such a player. If he is good enough to play at ours level - now it's a whole different set of bananas.

Who said anything about rating him ?!

It would be lie to say that he doesn't have certain qualities, and I objectively wrote what he is good at.

With type of football Megson is favoring, he could find use for such a player. If he is good enough to play at ours level - now it's a whole different set of bananas.

Not quite sure what you're getting at. On one hand you seem to be saying he can do a job but aren't prepared to say you rate him? Would you normally advocate the use of players that aren't good enough?

What are these qualities he has that it would be a lie to say he hasn't got? I've seen zero from him to think he could make it at any league club TBH.

Edited by RUMBELOWS91

Ok, fair enough.

He is a type of player that could be suited very well for Megson's style of play, as he played specialized role in the very similar system under McAuley at academy level - and he did the job well enough.

If he can step up his game to play that same role at League One level - I wouldn't put my hand in the fire to claim he can.

Megson might have need for such a pacey work horse upfront alongside either Mellor or Madine, but I'm not sure Modest (although fits the role with his characteristics) is good enough to play it at our level.

Ok, fair enough.

He is a type of player that could be suited very well for Megson's style of play, as he played specialized role in the very similar system under McAuley at academy level - and he did the job well enough.

If he can step up his game to play that same role at League One level - I wouldn't put my hand in the fire to claim he can.

Megson might have need for such a pacey work horse upfront alongside either Mellor or Madine, but I'm not sure Modest (although fits the role with his characteristics) is good enough to play it at our level.

In all honesty when I've seen him play I haven't even been that blown away by his pace. Maybe he looks quicker at youth level? Granted I've only seen him in the reserves and briefly in the first team when he's been comfortably dealt with by the opposition.

To me his pace was most evident when he chases for 50/50 balls, or something... Very rarely I've seen him run at the player with ball at his feet, and he seems to favor playing with his back to the goal when in possession.