Lack of experience at the back

Guest BulleOwl

Guest BulleOwl

It's showing, without Purse we've conceded 4 goals in 2 games from set pieces and I put that down to 1. Lack of a proper captain and 2. Lack of experinece. Yes Purse makes mistakes but every defender does, i'm not saying he was the best defender in the world 'cause he clearly wasn't but what he was, was a good captain, was a good organiser and a lot of experience. Can't remember a time where we've conceded from a corner/ crossed free kick this season with Purse, now 4 in 2, that's awful and proves a point.

It's showing, without Purse we've conceded 4 goals in 2 games from set pieces and I put that down to 1. Lack of a proper captain and 2. Lack of experinece. Yes Purse makes mistakes but every defender does, i'm not saying he was the best defender in the world 'cause he clearly wasn't but what he was, was a good captain, was a good organiser and a lot of experience. Can't remember a time where we've conceded from a corner/ crossed free kick this season with Purse, now 4 in 2, that's awful and proves a point.

bournemouth springs to mind ....

Réda does lack experience, those goals conceded over 2 games included players with experience. I think it was just a lack of preparation and organisation. IMO you have to put it down to the fact the back 4 has been chopped and changed recently, through injuries, arrivals and 1 departure.

Against Orient we had a new look back 4, then at half time 2 of them went off injured. Last night we did a bit better for the most part. Morrison who has played a fair few games considering his age looks to have taken on Purses roll of making sure everyone's in position. They'll get better with more training and when they get used to each other.

TBF Purse took the flak all the time - and often he didn't deserve it

Some people were way too quick to pin things on him when he wasn't either the only one culpable for a goal and sometimes not at fault at all (1st goal v Charlton being a prime example)

Yes he did make howlers - not arguing otherwise

But without a doubt other players don't come under anything like the scrutiny that he did

Spot on, I am so happy you have said this.

Purse was a shocking footballer which cost us goals however he held the back four very well.

Him gone we will concede more via lack of experience and coordination at the back than his personal errors.

fools on here was going on bout Morrison and THE RADIATOR at the back over and over again, people booing him and saying we need him out well..........

I disagreed largely and got loadsa neg rep.

WELL......

6 goals in two games from shyte teams, who prior to his departure we would have slaughted. fact

4 from set pieces.

My point has now been proven, we are desperately missing Purse. shame on you fools who think you know what ya saying.

Same with the ones who bummed spurr for years while i never rated him, now he is one of the most hated guys in a blue an white shirt, beevers too.

Neg rep me again guys just beacause i am right as i always am.

Peace out

Guest WoodhouseOwl77

The decision to release Purse was the correct one as his mistakes were costing us points week in and out but I do agree the defence is lacking leadership and experience. We just need to find an experienced leader who will bring out the best in the young back line we have.

ha ha ha yeah we miss purse and i knew we would yes he made mistakes but now were organised kaos at the back all the booing n slagging off is coming back to bite some people when all we should be doing is getting behind them

i love it when people start realising i was right...

i think a lot of people made the statement that Purse should NOT have left the club ... and that he was vilified for all the wrong reasons

i feel the boo boys got what they wanted with Purse leaving, and now we are seeing the repercussions of said move

i'm not saying that Purse leaving is the root cause of our woeful defending... but Purse was a bloody good leader ... kept talking and geeing everyone up and kept the backline in order

now that has gone, who have we got who is a leader at the back? who is a gobby shyte that keeps talking to those defenders around him?

relying on a bunch of young lads still learning their trade is opening yourself up for a catalogue of errors

surprised we haven't signed an experienced defender during the transfer window

Yes its strange its odd that our much maligned defence of Purse, Beevers and Spurr actually looks better than the new look one. What it says to me is, Purse, Beevers and Spurr are not as bad as some make out, indeed if all do move on, I'll bet it will be to championship clubs. Now I'm not slagging the new arrivals who I also rate, but did we really need them? Great if we can afford a squad of 28, the more competition the better. The loss of Purse form wise isn't a problem but we do look as if we are missing his experience with no obvious candidate at the club.

The decision to release Purse was the correct one as his mistakes were costing us points week in and out but I do agree the defence is lacking leadership and experience. We just need to find an experienced leader who will bring out the best in the young back line we have.

But the idea it to get rid when you have replacement lined up. We ain't got replacement lined up so how was it the right thing to do. You have totally contradicted yourself. Bit the important thing is he wanted leave so it was not really in our hands. So its neither a right or wrobg decision.

We do need an experienced leader in there, but for the life of me I don't understand how we can't line up a competent defence at Div One level. We have EIGHT defenders, most of whom could play at a higher level, and yet we struggle to contain the likes of Leyton Orient and bleeding Yeovil. Would another manager be able to get more from these players, I think so.