Sticking my head above the parapet!

Guest jimbob

I realise I'm about to receive a world of abuse right now but...I'd keep Irvine!

I'm impressed with his recruitment even before MM came. I like what I hear from players who have left the club and their thoughts on his coaching and preparation. I even like how we've played a few times this season (which tells me he's capable).

Clearly it's not good at the mo. We started with 9 players on Saturday who were not here last season - but even with that in mind you cannot excuse a performance like that. We will be inconsistent without experienced heads around yet it was fans that hounded Purse out.

You see for me, the idea of chopping and changing manager to bring success is a relatively new concept. And there's little evidence that it's successful. Irvine has a way to go, but I do think he'll get there and I hope he's hugely successful.

So unless there's a much better replacement available then stick. (The likes of Hughton are not)

Guest James-The-Owl

No, enough's enough. If you were at Brisbane Road on Saturday you'd have the same outlook, I was embarrassed to be a Wednesdayite. Time to go Alan.

I agree with the sentiment and it looks increasingly like MM does too. I was surprised when he wasn't sacked after the exeter mullering and shocked to see he is still there today. However, we have seen highs and lows so there is at least the suggestion that he can win games and perhaps he just does need more time. I trust MM to do what he thinks is best and I will support that. But to be honest, I was gutted when he was appointed and haven't been inspired at all since.

agree and i went to exeter to watch that pap . keep him . changing managers is what has got us in this hole years ago . ie danny wilson

Also agree to some extent. The way Managers are treated these days is mad. Even 10 years ago they were given over twice as long to try to get it right. Now it's all about the short term. On Footy Focus on Saturday 2 separate people (1 of the Wenger) said it's also one of the reasons the youngsters don't get more of a chance, as Managers can't take risks, they daren't!

Has Irvine has enough time? Hard to say, as take this season for example, from the start of the season til Milan arrived our results were mixed but we were up there challenging and looked like making the play offs at least (which IMO is about where you should've been). Still think we will make the play offs too.

Do you take into account things have changed? New players have come in, 2 of them played 3 games and 1 of them 1. Do you think Milan said, "I'll let you sign players but if they don't make a difference instantly them you're out"? Seems unlikely, but then again given Milan's rep you never know.

Just to look at the other side of the coin, we were relegated under him when 1 more win out of 13 or so games would have done. We are 12th in the 3rd division with the 2nd highest wage bill.(Poss highest now new signings are in) Past performance in crucial must win games doesnt bode well for the future. We need to get out of this league this season or we will lose players and have to rebuild again. We will also lose fans.

How long do we give him?

For the record, I'm on the fence at the moment. I can see the merits in keeping him as well as the merits in getting rid. I do wonder what A N Other manager would do differently with this squad and why. If I was in charge would we be any better or worse off. Same question for Sir Alex or Jose. What is Alan doing wrong?

This is now his own team, he's spent over £1m in January alone - when we already had one of the best teams on paper - and we STILL get hammered by 4 goals against teams fighting off relegation to LEAGUE TWO!! I didn't think anything could be worse than the Exeter game, but good old Alan has out-done himself with Orient on Saturday.

Sheffield Wednesday - best team we've had for years and year, yet Irvine takes us to Exeter and Orient to get battered by a 4-goal margin. There is unacceptable, then there is this!

Irvine's first year in charge has been as depressing and as frustrating as I can remember of any Wednesday Manager I have seen in my time following Wednesday (around 25 years or so). I wasn't convinced he was the right man when he was appointed and he's not done much in his time here to convince me otherwise. That said I think he's fallen lucky that he is at a club where the LMA Chairman is a director on the board at SWFC and the new owner of the club who's had a reputation in the past of getting rid of managers quick sharp seems to want to turn over a new leaf and wants to give the manager he has inherited time to prove himself?

Despite not being an Irvine fan I can see the logic of holding fire at the moment. This season already looks like it's a right off but sacking the manager now could have an adverse effect at this stage and could see us hurtling further down the table. The players don't seem to have lost faith in him even though some performances may make it seem that they have. Listening to the recent acquisitions it would seem Irvine played a massive part in persuading them to come to S6 and it's already been covered on here that his recruitment last summer was over and above what we may have had a right to expect. Sacking him now would probably send out the wrong message to the players he has convinced to sign for us?

Looking at the fan's reaction, it looks as though most feel that now is the time for a change and I can understand those sentiments but the way it's looking at the moment is that it looks as though Irvine is going to get time probably at least until the summer? Will he ever get the fans backing? It looks unlikely but he's obviously made a positive first impression on Milan Mandaric and it is the new owner that will make the final decision on whether or not to keep him.

I can see the merits in keeping him as well as the merits in getting rid.

I can see no merit in keeping him. The man doesn't learn. Or, he is too arrogant to learn.

He will not improve - even with time.

Sorry but no compromise for me - get shut ASAP.

Things are not going to improve.

No, enough's enough. If you were at Brisbane Road on Saturday you'd have the same outlook, I was embarrassed to be a Wednesdayite. Time to go Alan.

^^^^

It was humiliating meeting some Orient fans on the train and talking about the game with them.

Every team has an off day (which would excuse the Exeter disaster) but for it to happen twice in a month is the cherry on top of the icing on top of the cake made out of poo poo.

We're not going to go up in the top 2, and we're facing a real struggle to even sneak in the play offs now- this inspite of Irvine having a squad which "he'd be happy with in the Championship never mind League 1." (And that quote is from BEFORE we signed 4 more new players this month.)

I can see no merit in keeping him. The man doesn't learn. Or, he is too arrogant to learn.

He will not improve - even with time.

Sorry but no compromise for me - get shut ASAP.

Things are not going to improve.

Its the old 'changing managers has got us where we are' argument really. Though thats no reason for someone who isnt up to the job to keep it. Like I say, I'm torn between wanting to see if he can sort it with a 'new' team and binning him cos up to now he's underachieved.

new manager comes in and it's not his team so the first thing he does is start to rip the team apart and look for his players .

more unrest more unsettled players more defeats

pleat came in and ripped the best team we ever had apart .

we have gone through so many managers since tricky trev it's untrue .

it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel but i say stick with him .

We won't go up this season with him in charge and we'll be lucky to make the playoffs. Thats failure and another disgracful season, we've probably had 3 good seasons in the last 10. He needs to go now to give a new manager a chance with enough games left to try and salvage something from this sorry season.

The irony is that we sacked Brian Laws who had, over his time with us, produced the best league finish vs budget in the whole CCC (per the deloitte report)

His replacement currently has the worst league position vs budget in League 1, the division he relegated us into.

When AI came in he seemed a sensible choice ie no cash to buy so lets get a good coach to get the best out of what weve got. His pre season signings on the whole were good, since hes had money they have been very good.

IMHO I think we are short of one inspirational central midfielder who has the leadership qualities to gel the team, the problem is I cant think of one who would come and maybe this is why we have not addressed the problem yet.

Since Saturday all ive thought was get him out, but im not sure really if that would be the sensible thing to do,

MM knows what he wants so I will put my faith in his decision.

GOOD COACH,YES ,GOOD SCOUT ,YES, MANAGER, HAS'NT GOT A CLUE ,HAS TO GO .

I'm afraid to much dross from this team is quite enough ,a team capeable of walking this league is underacheiving by a large margine , due to complete ignorence from a man who prefers to play ,players out of position , not give other players a chance ,plays his favourites ,which you cannot have if you are a manager ,very rarely gets it right with the substitutions ,builds up other teams instead of our own ,oversaw relegation when having ample time to rectify the problems ,for gods sake we only needed 1 win,and why buy specfic strikers to leave on the bench ,and when challenged about the issue give innane answers

Ie , he does'nt score goals with his time on the pitch ,(or words to that effect)

OH before i forget we are dropping quicker than a stone ,now for the +points errrr! / WE BEAT BRIGHTON / WE BEAT BRISTOL rovers ,WE BEAT HARTLYPOOL ,WE BEAT NOTTS COUNTY ,WE BEAT BRISTOL CITY ,CANT THINK OF ANY MORE ,

Is there anything else to add on the +side if so enlighten me thanks ,