Lee Strafford

Wouldn't that punish teams that had just been promoted to the Prem? They wouldn't be able to send their forthcoming TV money so would start the season odds on to go back down.

Well on promotion to the premier the new clubs could be advanced a certain amount of money - and that's all they get to spend

I bet Pompey wish that rule had been in place - but it doesn't stop an owner/shareholder lending the club the money to buy players - but then they take the risk if it goes nipples up

The American sports model is the way to go in my opinion for football (and all sports). Thats why i love u.s sports so much, mainly the NHL and NFL. Its all about talent and who can do the best job over the course of a season. Its not about who has the most money. The Champions are decided by what happens on the ice or field, not by the size of your bank balance.

No matter which team you follow you feel as though you have a realistic chance of winning the whole thing at the start of the season if the right people are brought in, with the Premier League 16 out of the 20 teams KNOW they have no chance before a ball is kicked.

I heard the arguement that German Leagues highest players are on £13k a week - their stadia are full every week etc

Then someone retored by saying 'yeh but name one player that plays over there. The best players in the World come to the Prem.'

And I thought to myself -

a) do they? Have we got the best players in the World from the top international teams? How many players that will start for Italy, Brazil, Germany, Spain play in the EPL?

and

b) Does it matter? If we took the 30 top earners out of the Prem - would we still have a good league that fans would want to go and watch and subscribers would pay for?

I reckon so.

The American sports model is the way to go in my opinion for football (and all sports).

Can't think of anything worse tbh

No promotion/relegation for a start - and American sports clubs compete in America - football clubs compete globally so the rules have to be global

One thing that should be stopped - and stopped today to give clubs a sense of realism - is the absolutely ridiculous rule that "football debts" are paramount, priority and have to be paid in full - football debts should be the same as any other debt and have the same priority AFTER the taxman has been paid.

taylor was bragging about that rule, sickening and so typical of how football is so off the scale with reality

Guest geoffo

It's obvious why punishments focusing solely on the clubs are erroneous.

The people responsible get away completely unblemished and usually massively wealthier - then you get the risiculous Risdale asituation where he has crippled one club virtually to the point of extinction - he walks away (richer) and performs his magic at another club - he will walk away from Cardiff if they go to the wall (richer) and he could quite easily pop up at another club next season to repeat his magic

Cardiff, like Wimbledon before, were the victims of a chancer who saw his opportunity to make shedloads of money for virtually no outlay - the more astute Dons fans saw this early on and were vocal about it - but they were shouted down and dismissed by the fans who were drunk on relative success - probably the same fans who railed against the move to MK (which was just an extension of what was already happening)

At the other end of the scale there has been Wrexham and Chester - not giddy on the heady cocktails of success - but just prey to chancers and property vultures - which many clubs who own prime real estate are vulnerable to

There are no easy solutions - but nor is it a solution to make the lot of those clubs exponetially worse and force them to the point of extinction

One thing that should be stopped - and stopped today to give clubs a sense of realism - is the absolutely ridiculous rule that "football debts" are paramount, priority and have to be paid in full - football debts should be the same as any other debt and have the same priority AFTER the taxman has been paid.

Transfer fees to be paid in full up front - same with loan fees

Financial sanctions and transfer embargos should be activated way way way way way before it gets to the point of a club being in court

The situation as it is cannot continue - and it can't be dealt with the way most people lazily think it should - otherwise the fabric of football breaks down entirely

Good points generally but, as with business, the officers of the club/company should be prosecuted if they've broken the law and the club/company be penalised for what has been done in its name. It seems these rules don't apply to football. Surely it's about an effective penalty, whether it's relegation or docking points or a financial penalty.

I heard the arguement that German Leagues highest players are on £13k a week - their stadia are full every week etc

Then someone retored by saying 'yeh but name one player that plays over there. The best players in the World come to the Prem.'

bet the bundesliga is around long after the prem has gone bust

Can't think of anything worse tbh

No promotion/relegation for a start - and American sports clubs compete in America - football clubs compete globally so the rules have to be global

Of course there can be relegation and promotion. Im not talking about taking the rules that far.

The system they use is very sound and works well.

Unfortunately the big clubs would never let it happen, they'll always want their financial advantage over the lesser clubs.

Guest Deleted member

Wouldn't that punish teams that had just been promoted to the Prem? They wouldn't be able to send their forthcoming TV money so would start the season odds on to go back down.

newly promoted clubs could be paid advances securitised on tv payments by their bank

I did a quick google was quite surprised, it looks like you're right (I'm not surprised that you're right, more that the Premiership is worth more)

Liverpool earned £19.7m from their Champions League campaign in 2008-09, and £23.3m for 2007-08. The club netted £50.3m from its second placed Premier League finish last season.

But I would imagine the prize money is around say £20 odd million for the Champions League, but that kind of exposure opens up other commerical avenue and brand awareness.

But still £50 million for second, not bad I suppose......

But that £20M odd is on top of the Premier League money, so the financial gap between finishing 5th and 4th is huge.

Of course there can be relegation and promotion. Im not talking about taking the rules that far.

The system they use is very sound and works well.

Unfortunately the big clubs would never let it happen, they'll always want their financial advantage over the lesser clubs.

Because in America it's a closed system - our game is Global and especially pan-European - we cannot operate different rules to Spain, Italy, Germany and France etc

And shame on Man U bringing £1bn to the table and not wanting to hand it all out to their rivals who are chipping in a tenth of that

Shocking idea in a global game

If Americans had their way games would be finishing 36-36 and being decided on a shoot out

They don't "get" football - they're getting there but some way to go

Same as the rest of the world largely doesn't "get" American sport

How prize money is devided is the Premier Leagues descision and not the Europeans, Uafa or Fifa.

Ideally, one pot and the money is shared equally.

That doesn't mean every club has the same budget though does it?

And it'll never happen anyway because the clubs will just push for their own TV rights (which the PL are fully aware of) and if you think the difference is stark now you wouldn't wanna see what it would be if that happened

That doesn't mean every club has the same budget though does it?

And it'll never happen anyway because the clubs will just push for their own TV rights (which the PL are fully aware of) and if you think the difference is stark now you wouldn't wanna see what it would be if that happened

Unfortunately true.

The American sports model is the way to go in my opinion for football (and all sports). Thats why i love u.s sports so much, mainly the NHL and NFL. Its all about talent and who can do the best job over the course of a season. Its not about who has the most money. The Champions are decided by what happens on the ice or field, not by the size of your bank balance.

No matter which team you follow you feel as though you have a realistic chance of winning the whole thing at the start of the season if the right people are brought in, with the Premier League 16 out of the 20 teams KNOW they have no chance before a ball is kicked.

I too am an admirer of the North American model for major league sport - however I'm not sure it could be accommodated here.

The salary cap could work - so long as its managed and policed properly.

But other than that the model only works because the leagues are effectively closed shops.

The Draft system also plays a massive part in the redistribution of talent to the worst teams.

The Draft system also plays a massive part in the redistribution of talent to the worst teams.

one thing I never understood in the draft system is say at 3 quaters of the way through a season you are 3rd in a group/league of 4 with no chance of winning anything. what stops you from deliberatley loosing all your final games to come last and get the better draft pick? my lack of knowledge of all american sport, although I do quite enjoy watching it is massive