Lee Strafford

I did a quick google was quite surprised, it looks like you're right (I'm not surprised that you're right, more that the Premiership is worth more)

Liverpool earned £19.7m from their Champions League campaign in 2008-09, and £23.3m for 2007-08. The club netted £50.3m from its second placed Premier League finish last season.

But I would imagine the prize money is around say £20 odd million for the Champions League, but that kind of exposure opens up other commerical avenue and brand awareness.

But still £50 million for second, not bad I suppose......

I wonder how much more these teams pay in player wages when chasing this 'prize'?

It kind of becomes a Catch22 situation.

They need to pay big wages to attract the best players in order to earn the prize money they need to pay the big wages.

Aye just realised it was BBC and had a look.. no sign of it yet though.

talking of which.... does anyone know where to get / find the 'late kick off' show for our region ?

On i-player there is only the scabby London one

I wonder how much more these teams pay in player wages when chasing this 'prize'?

It kind of becomes a Catch22 situation.

They need to pay big wages to attract the best players in order to earn the prize money they need to pay the big wages.

When I hear about Man City spending another £30 million on a player I don't really care as all that money will probably be kept within football. The selling club will buy someone else and the money just goes round and round the clubs.

As you say it's the wages that are the problem, the money goes out of football forever. I hear Bentley are doing very well out of it though

As you say it's the wages that are the problem, the money goes out of football forever. I hear Bentley are doing very well out of it though

My point was really about the treadmill nature of the Premier League.

But your point about the money leaving football is a good one.

he just mentioned we are running without a loss basically and sounded a bit annoyed that other teams are gambling on their future paying big wages etc...bit like the pigs!

Right.............. nice one!

So, you've been runing without a loss for 5 mins, but it was ok to get to £26m in debt in the first place?

He is as dodgy as a dodgy car from dodgymotors .com

West Ham fan my arse couldn't remember Peters and Hurst's Names

Sullivan is a Arsenal Supporter remember meeting him at Wembley in 93

I didn't say he wasn't dodgy, I just said he made a couple of good points, which, as far as I'm aware, is a right not denied even to dodgy geezers...

Is he Alan Sugar's brother?

Interesting argument about points deductions being the best penalties for fiscal transgressions too. I agree but the subsequent court nightmares would mean that results and tables wouldn't be finalised for months.

For me, admin = automatic 2 division drop

I didn't say he wasn't dodgy, I just said he made a couple of good points, which, as far as I'm aware, is a right not denied even to dodgy geezers...

Is he Alan Sugar's brother?

Interesting argument about points deductions being the best penalties for fiscal transgressions too. I agree but the subsequent court nightmares would mean that results and tables wouldn't be finalised for months.

For me, admin = automatic 2 division drop

Totally agree, new laws need to be passed by the FA to sort out this mess. We see the same repeat offenders all the time. The likes of cardiff, Watford and Palace immediately spring to mind, almost every season at some point one of these is a few hours away from admin/being wound up etc. Like LS and Gold said the bottom line is it's a form of cheating and therefore needs punishing. We have not had a pot to wee wee in for over 10 years yet we have managed to pay our wages and bills.

Palace should have been relegated this season with a further reduction in L1 next season so they can't wipe out their debts and bounce back in a season. The same goes for Pompey, next season they will be debt free (in theory) and have an extra 10-15m from parashoot payments. Teams should not be able to use admin to get themselves debt free letting them do it all again, and repeat offenders should be dealt with even more strongly (relegated 2 divisions).

If this means that smaller teams are destined to be in L1/CCC then so be it at least they will live to their means. I'm afraid at this moment in time that includes us, until we pay off our debts and sort ourselves out.

Totally agree, new laws need to be passed by the FA to sort out this mess. We see the same repeat offenders all the time. The likes of cardiff, Watford and Palace immediately spring to mind, almost every season at some point one of these is a few hours away from admin/being wound up etc. Like LS and Gold said the bottom line is it's a form of cheating and therefore needs punishing. We have not had a pot to wee wee in for over 10 years yet we have managed to pay our wages and bills.

Palace should have been relegated this season with a further reduction in L1 next season so they can't wipe out their debts and bounce back in a season. The same goes for Pompey, next season they will be debt free (in theory) and have an extra 10-15m from parashoot payments. Teams should not be able to use admin to get themselves debt free letting them do it all again, and repeat offenders should be dealt with even more strongly (relegated 2 divisions).

If this means that smaller teams are destined to be in L1/CCC then so be it at least they will live to their means. I'm afraid at this moment in time that includes us, until we pay off our debts and sort ourselves out.

The problem with the FA is it's gutless and largely powerless, and no-one wants government intervention. The football business is run by the Premier League and TV money (mainly Sky). As long as this persists, and fans remain as a lower priority, the money will be there to kep the staus quo, whereby players can get huge sums and have little contact with the realities of a normal fan's day-to-day life. See Fabio's recent comments in today's press. Even he's said it, and he has to work with them....

Guest geoffo

Good points these. Agree the only way to effectively punish clubs is to deduct points or relegate them. I prefer relegation plus a points penalty for the following season.

Amazed to hear Lineker on MOTD Saturday say he didn't understand why points were ever deducted. He had no alternative suggestion of course, presumably because he hasn't ever thought about it and still lives in the players' cocoon. There has to be a sanction - a financial penalty is meaningless for a club in extreme financial difficulties anyway so it has to be relegation. Agree FA spineless but doubtless the PL clubs can afford best lawyers to claim restraint of trade if they try anything.

I've reached the point where I just don't care about the Premier League (except in relation to my fantasy team!) because they're all living beyond their means. The opp for SWFC is to hang in there and watch these teams come back past us when the bubble pops and... oh look, we're Champions!

Totally agree, new laws need to be passed by the FA to sort out this mess. We see the same repeat offenders all the time. The likes of cardiff, Watford and Palace immediately spring to mind,

Watford have been in admin the same amount of time as us

Guest BaRmY OwLs

I watched this programme last night on bbc news channel and really looked forward to some positive things coming out of it,but when you get the D*** Head from west ham thinking about his own personal interest and not of the whole football league it was a waste of time. It was nice to see the man u fan put him in his place.

Good points these. Agree the only way to effectively punish clubs is to deduct points or relegate them. I prefer relegation plus a points penalty for the following season.

Amazed to hear Lineker on MOTD Saturday say he didn't understand why points were ever deducted. He had no alternative suggestion of course, presumably because he hasn't ever thought about it and still lives in the players' cocoon. There has to be a sanction - a financial penalty is meaningless for a club in extreme financial difficulties anyway so it has to be relegation. Agree FA spineless but doubtless the PL clubs can afford best lawyers to claim restraint of trade if they try anything.

I've reached the point where I just don't care about the Premier League (except in relation to my fantasy team!) because they're all living beyond their means. The opp for SWFC is to hang in there and watch these teams come back past us when the bubble pops and... oh look, we're Champions!

It's obvious why punishments focusing solely on the clubs are erroneous.

The people responsible get away completely unblemished and usually massively wealthier - then you get the risiculous Risdale asituation where he has crippled one club virtually to the point of extinction - he walks away (richer) and performs his magic at another club - he will walk away from Cardiff if they go to the wall (richer) and he could quite easily pop up at another club next season to repeat his magic

Cardiff, like Wimbledon before, were the victims of a chancer who saw his opportunity to make shedloads of money for virtually no outlay - the more astute Dons fans saw this early on and were vocal about it - but they were shouted down and dismissed by the fans who were drunk on relative success - probably the same fans who railed against the move to MK (which was just an extension of what was already happening)

At the other end of the scale there has been Wrexham and Chester - not giddy on the heady cocktails of success - but just prey to chancers and property vultures - which many clubs who own prime real estate are vulnerable to

There are no easy solutions - but nor is it a solution to make the lot of those clubs exponetially worse and force them to the point of extinction

One thing that should be stopped - and stopped today to give clubs a sense of realism - is the absolutely ridiculous rule that "football debts" are paramount, priority and have to be paid in full - football debts should be the same as any other debt and have the same priority AFTER the taxman has been paid.

Transfer fees to be paid in full up front - same with loan fees

Financial sanctions and transfer embargos should be activated way way way way way before it gets to the point of a club being in court

The situation as it is cannot continue - and it can't be dealt with the way most people lazily think it should - otherwise the fabric of football breaks down entirely

Transfer fees to be paid in full up front - same with loan fees

Wouldn't that punish teams that had just been promoted to the Prem? They wouldn't be able to send their forthcoming TV money so would start the season odds on to go back down.

gordon taylor lives in a bubble, his comments defending players wages are typical of the me myself and i scenario, whilstever we've got agents and players sucking every penny they can out of clubs then it is only a matter of time before footie armaggedon

if taylor really wanted to protect his players he would endorse a wage structure that actually means clubs can survive and compete fairly, not just encouraging the bottomless pit syndrome

a big reality check is needed but the comments made last night just prove how far from reality the clubs, PL and players reps are