Mind games

I have no idea what team CC will put out on Sunday but there are some real mind games going off amongst the supporters of the other three play off teams at the moment.

Udders are worried about the consequences of fielding a weakened team against relegation candidates but expect Wednesday, Reading and Fulham all to do the same this weekend. They are desperate to avoid Fulham in the semis and many want to lose on Sunday just in case.

Reading fans aren't expecting anything much from the play offs - they're just glad to be there but won't be too upset if they lose on Sunday because they might also avoid Fulham in the semis.

The most paranoid fans are Fulham (who have offered to refund their supporters their ticket fees for Saturday for a £2 fee and quite a few have taken them up). They want to rest their entire team. They think we might do similar but equally they think CC might get the sack if we don't finish 3rd so we might not because we want to keep the winning run going. They are worried that our team are going to kick lumps out of their stars to put them out of the play offs because we are apparently a 'dirty' and 'cynical' team. Also they don't want to give any team 'secrets' away - as if video footage doesn't exist from previous matches.

It's a slightly unique situation this time round. Last year the play off positions were pretty much sorted going into the final game but this year, apart from Fulham, all 3 of the other teams could finish anywhere from 3rd to 5th. A lot of the fans seem to think their teams will be trying to lose (or not trying very hard to win) on purpose. Will there be any manufacturing of league positions for this reason? It seems a dangerous game to play and to be honest, if you want to win the play offs and survive in the premier league, wouldn't you have to beat the best anyway?

Why do people think it's worse to play Fulham over 2 legs rather than a one off game in the final?!

Id feel much more confident about having 2 games against a team, especially 2nd leg at a packed out hillsborough

3 minutes ago, Owl 44 said:

I have no idea what team CC will put out on Sunday but there are some real mind games going off amongst the supporters of the other three play off teams at the moment.

Udders are worried about the consequences of fielding a weakened team against relegation candidates but expect Wednesday, Reading and Fulham all to do the same this weekend. They are desperate to avoid Fulham in the semis and many want to lose on Sunday just in case.

Reading fans aren't expecting anything much from the play offs - they're just glad to be there but won't be too upset if they lose on Sunday because they might also avoid Fulham in the semis.

The most paranoid fans are Fulham (who have offered to refund their supporters their ticket fees for Saturday for a £2 fee and quite a few have taken them up). They want to rest their entire team. They think we might do similar but equally they think CC might get the sack if we don't finish 3rd so we might not because we want to keep the winning run going. They are worried that our team are going to kick lumps out of their stars to put them out of the play offs because we are apparently a 'dirty' and 'cynical' team. Also they don't want to give any team 'secrets' away - as if video footage doesn't exist from previous matches.

It's a slightly unique situation this time round. Last year the play off positions were pretty much sorted going into the final game but this year, apart from Fulham, all 3 of the other teams could finish anywhere from 3rd to 5th. A lot of the fans seem to think their teams will be trying to lose (or not trying very hard to win) on purpose. Will there be any manufacturing of league positions for this reason? It seems a dangerous game to play and to be honest, if you want to win the play offs and survive in the premier league, wouldn't you have to beat the best anyway?

Everyone's afraid of Fulham because they are sixth , only there because l***s lashed up and every other team in the play offs have had better seasons than them . No wonder a team who scraped into sixth are feared . I'm surprised Fulham haven't got automatic with maximum points with how other fans and the London lovers go on . 

2 minutes ago, cross owl said:

Everyone's afraid of Fulham because they are sixth , only there because l***s lashed up and every other team in the play offs have had better seasons than them . No wonder a team who scraped into sixth are feared . I'm surprised Fulham haven't got automatic with maximum points with how other fans and the London lovers go on . 

They have been free scoring in fairness. We have been grinding out results while they have been banging them in.

We are a better team with a better manager.

Up we go.

5 minutes ago, stevie snerklebox said:

For me it's very simple. 4 more wins and we are up, no argument. CC knows the ingredients to win games and as far as I'm concerned we shouldn't be de-tuning the side for Sunday.... Continuity and momentum is vital.

2 more will do it.

9 minutes ago, stevie snerklebox said:

For me it's very simple. 4 more wins and we are up, no argument. CC knows the ingredients to win games and as far as I'm concerned we shouldn't be de-tuning the side for Sunday.... Continuity and momentum is vital.

It may well be... Unless I'm missing something , we can afford to lose two, then win two to go up.

3 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

We should try and win and hope to come 3rd.

If we do, I'd expect to be too strong for Fulham over two legs.

If we win and still come 4th, we'll be too strong for Huddersfield.

Just keep winning.

But don't you know - if Fulham get through to Wembley they will be too strong for anybody because the wide pitch will really suit them apparently. They have four/five of the quickest players in the league apparently and have the two best attacking full backs in the league apparently. Nobody else will stand a chance. Can't even remember where I read all this guff. If all this is true, how come they're only 6th?

37 minutes ago, Owl 44 said:

What bizarro planet have they beamed this gem down from then? :manager:

Re: 'secrets', understandable I guess. They've done so well at slipping in under the radar these past two months, after all. :duntmatter:

Edited by Mr. Tom