10 seconds that epitomised our season

And it was probably something people have become numb to so didn't really register it

It was about 25 minutes into the game last night, we were 1-0 down and it was within a minute of Jordan Rhodes getting polaxed infront of the south stand.  We win a throw in probably about 15 yards away from the corner flag. Jack Hunt does a quick jog up to get the ball... he's not messing around he's going to throw it in quick. The crowd are baying for blood, spurring the team onward... we're angry, we're losing and Rhodes has been fouled for the third time in five minutes. He stands at the touchline for 10 seconds, not throwing the ball in... then turns, and throws it 20 yards backwards to Tom Lees.

...What?

We're losing, the crowd is screaming and urging you on... attack. I love this whole passing and possession game more than most, but the whole point is that with that type of game you work the ball into a dangerous area... we're in the dangerous area guys, it's time to strike! But alas, I feel it sums up our season and entire mentality under Carlos for some time now... for the last 13/14 months or so, we've really not been very good at scoring goals. 

Yesterday was the first time I thought it was time for Carlos to go. We didn't look like a team yesterday. From about 30 minutes onwards, the tactic to me looked like we were hoping Buckley or someone would have a moment of brilliance. There was no direction, or team plan... just the hope that an individual would do something outstanding to carve open a chance. Compare it to Reading, who had a direction and purpose to their game, who attacked far more like a coherent unit rather than 7/8 individuals moving forward and hoping to make something. 

Let's be pragmatic, honest and fair. If Carlos doesn't get us up this season, he should probably be gone... especially when you compare resources spent to the other teams that are in or pushing for the play-offs. Does CC deserve at least until the end of the season? Normally I would say so, he deserves it for last season, but what's the benefit of keeping him longer? If there's a manager available, bringing him in now gives him the opportunity to properly assess the squad to plan for summer recruitment. Waiting will only hinder any future manager we might bring in. And if people want to say I'm being defeatest... that we're still in the play-offs and our season isn't over, you're very right. But at the end of the day, we've currently only won 3 of our 10 games against other teams in the top 7... it doesn't bode well for a play-off run in. Of course we could still do it, but in all likelihood we're going to miss out. I love the bloke, but I think perhaps it's time to realise he won't be the one that can get us promoted in the next 2/3 years, and realistically speaking we probably can't afford to wait much longer than that

Edited by StudentOwl

26 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

And it was probably something people have become numb to so didn't really register it

It was about 25 minutes into the game last night, we were 1-0 down and it was within a minute of Jordan Rhodes getting polaxed infront of the south stand.  We win a throw in probably about 15 yards away from the corner flag. Jack Hunt does a quick jog up to get the ball... he's not messing around he's going to throw it in quick. The crowd are baying for blood, spurring the team onward... we're angry, we're losing and Rhodes has been fouled for the third time in five minutes. He stands at the touchline for 10 seconds, not throwing the ball in... then turns, and throws it 20 yards backwards to Tom Lees.

...What?

We're losing, the crowd is screaming and urging you on... attack. I love this whole passing and possession game more than most, but the whole point is that with that type of game you work the ball into a dangerous area... we're in the dangerous area guys, it's time to strike! But alas, I feel it sums up our season and entire mentality under Carlos for some time now... for the last 13/14 months or so, we've really not been very good at scoring goals. 

Yesterday was the first time I thought it was time for Carlos to go. We didn't look like a team yesterday. From about 30 minutes onwards, the tactic to me looked like we were hoping Buckley or someone would have a moment of brilliance. There was no direction, or team plan... just the hope that an individual would do something outstanding to carve open a chance. Compare it to Reading, who had a direction and purpose to their game, who attacked far more like a coherent unit rather than 7/8 individuals moving forward and hoping to make something. 

Let's be pragmatic, honest and fair. If Carlos doesn't get us up this season, he should probably be gone... especially when you compare resources spent to the other teams that are in or pushing for the play-offs. Does CC deserve at least until the end of the season? Normally I would say so, he deserves it for last season, but what's the benefit of keeping him longer? If there's a manager available, bringing him in now gives him the opportunity to properly assess the squad to plan for summer recruitment. Waiting will only hinder any future manager we might bring in. And if people want to say I'm being defeatest... that we're still in the play-offs and our season isn't over, you're very right. But at the end of the day, we've currently only won 3 of our 10 games against other teams in the top 7... it doesn't bode well for a play-off run in. Of course we could still do it, but in all likelihood we're going to miss out. I love the bloke, but I think perhaps it's time to realise he won't be the one that can get us promoted in the next 2/3 years, and realistically speaking we probably can't afford to wait much longer than that

WORD FOR WORD MY SENTIMENTS... WELL SAID!!

not worth waiting till the end of the season,do it now and give the new man a chance to assess things in time for summer recruitment (which i hope will include some pace and strength in midfield and full back) 

29 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

...What?

Reminds of early pep at Barcelona aimlessly and frustratingly knocking the ball about for half an hour, Messi gets bored beats two players and scores then back to the inane pass for passings sake again. We're the same under Carlos waiting for Wallace to get bored come inside and wallop a 25 yarder in, or ff to beat a couple of players and score. Difference is we don't have Messi and now due to injury we don't have ff. Also is it me or do we NOT practice the one fundamental requirement of set pieces? Do they just tip-tap about on a five a side pitch because we are one of the worst teams in the division at dead ball situations. 

Edited by shezzas left peg

1 minute ago, Wakefield owl said:

"Reading attacked like a far more coherent unit"??

Can someone please remind when they threatened apart from the goal (forget the second) or when Westwood had to make a difficult save?

every time they broke they did so with pace and numbers, especially in the first half

Just now, Wakefield owl said:

And created what? We actually had half a dozen good chances last night but unfortunately didn't finish them. We've played worse and won.

Havoc

If they had a player of Rhodes quality im sure they would have scored more

The moment before the Carlos sort it out song summed up our defending last night

Just now, Wakefield owl said:

And created what? We actually had half a dozen good chances last night but unfortunately didn't finish them. We've played worse and won.

Which I think speaks volumes about how poorly we've played this season...

Realistically, cut out the last 10 minutes when we went route one... how many clear-cut chances did we ourselves make in the first 80 minutes? We hit the post from a snapshot from our left-back, and we had a Rhodes header after a deflected shot. These are half-chances at best.

We sure as hell attacked more than Reading, even if you exclude the last 10 minutes, but at no point were those attacks a coherent team attack... it was more individual skill. Nowt wrong with that, but when you have a directionless attack for 80 minutes and have to resort to route one for the last 15... you know things aren't quite right

4 minutes ago, Wakefield owl said:

"Reading attacked like a far more coherent unit"??

Can someone please remind when they threatened apart from the goal (forget the second) or when Westwood had to make a difficult save?

IMO they played us perfectly. They were the more threatening at the start, got the goal they needed and then changed tact. When they did attack they did so as a unit, every player knew their job and knew where team mates would be and exploited spaces. Our midfield were overrun. We on the otherhand were disjointed and slow.

3 minutes ago, modboy said:

Havoc

If they had a player of Rhodes quality im sure they would have scored more

The moment before the Carlos sort it out song summed up our defending last night

You need chances to score and they had very few. 

I think the jury is out on the Rhodes quality but hopefully it will come out in next 11 games.

but they scored one with relative ease and they didnt need to score any more. In many ways you could say there were playing in second gear.

Surprised me they brought on Grabban though, quite an offensive move at that stage

2 minutes ago, wharncliffeowl said:

IMO they played us perfectly. They were the more threatening at the start, got the goal they needed and then changed tact. When they did attack they did so as a unit, every player knew their job and knew where team mates would be and exploited spaces. Our midfield were overrun. We on the otherhand were disjointed and slow.

Yes we are slow that's been a weakness of ours for a while now. That's why I was disappointed we didn't address that in January.

Quite a few are saying how good Reading were but they were pretty fortunate to go home with 3 points.

A very accurate OP!  To me, Reading looked much more organised and seemed to have a definite plan,  Their possession had much more direction and coherence and they completely strangled our midfield throughout the game, which meant that we resorted to throwing long balls into the box in the last 15 minutes.

Jones and Bannan were too far apart for most of the game.  I don't think that Jones is the answer and I'm mystified as to why people think he is - just because he's previously been in a team which gained promotion.  He's slow, ponderous on the ball and so dreadfully one footed.  Kieran Lee has been a massive loss and we haven't replaced his movement, whichever midfield combination we have tried.  Surely that could be remedied by quality coaching.

I agree with Student Owl, that the time is now right to say goodbye to Carlos and get someone new in who can quickly assess the squad over the next two weeks and motivate the players with a system of positive play which uses the best of our forward talents by giving them the service they desperately need.  Even if that doesn't result in a play-off position, it will at least lay the foundations for next season.  A summer clear out, followed by careful recruitment of the 3 or 4 players we need to complete the squad, would give us a chance of top two next season.  The key though for me is the system of play which needs an overhaul.

Edited by Kevan
typo