Championship aint so bad

Well it isn't is it?  Games we can turn up to with a very good/good/realistic chance of winning.  Watching decent players week in week out, having some of the best players in the division turn out in the blue and white.  Sure the club will benefit enormously from the £120m gogglebox FUND and of course I want that this to happen.  However the selfish amongst us would surely rather be winning games than getting tonked every other week.  We can turn up against most teams in the Championship be favourites to win the game and have a reight day out or we can be 20/1 chances at Stamford Bridge, 16/1 chances at the Etihad or 14/1 at Old Trafford.  Great days out at the big clubs but imagine spending £150 on a trip to Chelsea to have a 5% chance of winning.  Not the end of the world for us supporters if we dont go up....

9 minutes ago, BobsMagicCalculator said:

Well it isn't is it?  Games we can turn up to with a very good/good/realistic chance of winning.  Watching decent players week in week out, having some of the best players in the division turn out in the blue and white.  Sure the club will benefit enormously from the £120m gogglebox FUND and of course I want that this to happen.  However the selfish amongst us would surely rather be winning games than getting tonked every other week.  We can turn up against most teams in the Championship be favourites to win the game and have a reight day out or we can be 20/1 chances at Stamford Bridge, 16/1 chances at the Etihad or 14/1 at Old Trafford.  Great days out at the big clubs but imagine spending £150 on a trip to Chelsea to have a 5% chance of winning.  Not the end of the world for us supporters if we dont go up....

We'll do a Leicester when we go up, BELIEVE!! 

1 hour ago, BobsMagicCalculator said:

And £50+ entry to our home games for pay on the day

Good OP.

I agree with a lot of what you say. It is a superb league, with lots of positives...

46 matches instead of 38

Hugely competitive

Always got a great chance in every match

Increasingly high profile

Improving quality

Loads of Away matches on tv

And last season I really enjoyed it. I drove to every match full of anticipation and excitement, pretty much knowing that me and my boys were about to watch at least 45 minutes of pleasure seeing exciting attacking football.

This season is very different. I drive hoping to be thrilled, but expecting to be disappointed. Norwich apart, the football has been dire. 

That leaves me where I would be comfortable with free-flowing Keegan football in the Championship, but not the current Carlos-esque horror stuff.

Overall though, I am a very competitive person, so I want my team to be fighting with the very best, so I want us in the Prem, playing all those huge clubs, settling ourselves 10-14th, and hopefully seeing DC manage us brilliantly, as he has done so far, into challenging the top six in two or three seasons.

Edited by Holmowl

I have to say, I barely watch the Premiership these days. I have Sky and BT and used to watch 2-3 games a weekend, now I don't bother, it bores me a bit, same with the Champions League generally. 

I'm only really interested in Wednesday games these days, the Championship is a great league and I enjoy it, however I am desperate to get back to the Premiership, I grew up with Wednesday in it and would love to experience it again. 

So, yes the Championship is great but the pursuit of my team being one of the best makes me want to get back in the Premiership.

5 hours ago, BobsMagicCalculator said:

"Championship ain't so bad"

What you really mean is -

SECOND DIVISION AIN'T SO BAD...

Too many supporters with a small club mentality.

Too many supporters happy to accept mediocrity. 

Why do you think we would be

"getting tonked every other week" ?

What a load of miserable defeatist tosh !

You may be satisfied being  a -

Big fish in a small pond..

We should be a -

BIG FISH IN A BIG POND.....

I don't understand the mentality of supporters who don't want to see our great club competing with the best clubs in the country, at the highest level, as we did with such distinction in the past.

What we need is -

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY in the

PREMIER LEAGUE as soon as possible !

Anything less is just not good enough !!!

3 times ive seen us go up to the top flight and every time after a honeymoon period of 2 or 3 years the fans get restless because we arnt contenders  become stuck in lower mid table with the inevitable relegation usually accompanied with acrimony towards the board as the end result .........I want us to go up coz it's good for the financial well being of the club but i'm under no illusions that it's going to be fun to watch .

I have to agree with the OP that the Championship is a great league and it's been also been enjoyable to have a competitive team. The main downer is that our owner is heavily subsidising our promotion ambitions, so the status quo can't last forever. In all honesty we need promotion to sustain the current progression of the club. I'd love to see the West Stand replaced and the club become established in the top flight. Surely if the likes of Stoke and WBA can get a foothold we can too?

5 hours ago, Everywhere & nowhere said:

Correct - for people who like to watch live entertaining football we're better off in the championship - unless you find another Kante you can't get so far in the prem

We've got kerian lee, basically Kante, but talller 

4 minutes ago, East Yorks Owl said:

I have to agree with the OP that the Championship is a great league and it's been also been enjoyable to have a competitive team. The main downer is that our owner is heavily subsidising our promotion ambitions, so the status quo can't last forever. In all honesty we need promotion to sustain the current progression of the club. I'd love to see the West Stand replaced and the club become established in the top flight. Surely if the likes of Stoke and WBA can get a foothold we can too?

your spot on with everything you say but getting a foothold and treading water like stoke and west brom as never gone down well in the past with our supporters .....maybe it will this time but I wouldn't put money on it ..

If we don't go up how long does the op think Mr C (or any business man) will keep pumping money into us?

Does the op really want us to slip back into mediocrity? - Maybe he would also be happy with the dog fights of relegation or even start to believe that the pub league wern't so bad!

We should reach for the stars and always try to do better, after allhow many Olympic champions ever said just running round Grenno woods aint so bad?..

6 minutes ago, torryowl said:

your spot on with everything you say but getting a foothold and treading water like stoke and west brom as never gone down well in the past with our supporters .....maybe it will this time but I wouldn't put money on it ..

Another  old misery guts, type post !

Why can't we compete with the best ?

I bet the glass is always "half empty"

With you torryowl.

I fear the attitude of some of our supporters, Is holding the club back !!!!.

55 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Overall though, I am a very competitive person, so I want my team to be fighting with the very best, so I want us in the Prem, playing all those huge clubs, settling ourselves 10-14th, and hopefully seeing DC manage us brilliantly, as he has done so far, into challenging the top six in two or three seasons.

Would love this as well but as we are only challenging top 6 in the championship, I think this is hugely ambitious

29 minutes ago, robowl4life said:

Comfort is an illusion. A false security bred from familiar things and familiar ways. It narrows the mind. Weakens the body. And robs the soul of spirit and determination. Comfort is neither welcome nor tolerated here. 

may well work for the marine corp  , but personally I think that's a load of old tosh .

Guest Kameron

We're not even competing for the top two in the second division, anyone who thinks challenging for 6th position in the championship is success has no ambition.