Whatever it takes...

We all loved the honeymoon period last season. We were allowed to play fantastic football while managers figured us out and there were some cracking goals and performances. It was a joy to behold.

Though this season hasn't followed the same path it looks like there is more balance to the approach and the main difference this season so far is what we've acheived against the teams above us in the league.

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/sheffield-wednesday

Three wins, and while not as void of red as last season, a very commendable home record.

Yes, some of it hasn't been as pretty to watch, but come on, did you REALLY think it was going to be as simple as just do the same again?

Caution was thrown to the wind in what was billed by many as a "freebie" attempt for Carlos to reach the top tier. We just missed out as the team seemed to choke right at the end.

Now though, it would seem we are taking a more careful approach to try and get the points in the bag.

There was an opportunity to smash and grab, we missed it and more planning is needed, however pretty this may not be.

Whatever it takes...

The problem this year, was we didn't get the plan B or C that we needed. Brighton and Leeds completely sussed us out, and we didn't have the personnel to change it up.

I'd also say the decision to play bannan deep, and play more patient football knocking it round at the back crippled us in attack. Added to a lack of movement upfront, we looked very lethargic at time.

He's got it better now. Hutch in midfield allows us to go 3-5-2, as he drops in and the full backs move up. Bannan has noticeably moved from the quarter back role to go higher up the pitch. With hooper and winnall, I really think we can open teams up now.

What I would add, is that when you listen to Carlos - and we all have a chuckle at his random word usage - he talks very intelligently about the tactics and style of play. The Huddersfield post match interview is a great example. 

It takes until the 2nd half kicking towards the kop in most home games to get us going.

what home games have we put in 2 good halves of football ?

im happy with the league position and how good we are defensively. And do think it will click in an attacking sense sooner rather than later.

But I think it should be better with the quality of players we have. Fans who pay at least £36 on the door should see 2 decent halves of football every now then. 

I said this a month or so ago.....we have clearly adopted a different style of play to last season.

We all agree that our faults were on show for the whole nation to see in the play off final. The midfield got bullied, we were out fought and out thought.

But rewind to some of the other games last season....MK Dons, Charlton, Bristol City etc. All games we expected to ho and get maximum points from. Yet the wonderful pass and move style got us nothing. In fact we were easily beaten in all of those games. And the reasons that we lost were the same in each game. 

We hadn't been 'sussed out', its just that we arent very good in those types of games.

We all agreed that after the Play Off final that something had to change, especially the midfield. This season is still a work in progress. It still happened early on against Burton, Cambridge away, Leeds at home etc....but it's hardly happening now. Granted, we aren't playing the champagne football at home like we did last season, where we could have beaten ANYONE on our day at home, even the mighty Arsenal. (Remember, that same team that was so poor away!), but no one is bullying us. No one is dominating our midfield. 

Recent games like Barnsley, Rotherham, Preston and even Newcastle, we would have lost last season....or had we played them earlier this season.

Its still a work in progress, just like the first few months of last season were. It came right in the end last season and I'm certain that its getting there this season. Let's be patient and appreciate what Carlos is trying to achieve. Just like yesterday..... Once our midfield remains tight and gives nothing away (first half) the flowing football will start to show (second half).

Last year we simply could not beat a top 6 team and though we beat Brighton in the semis I think a little of the inferiority complex followed us into the final and we simply didn't perform from top to bottom, this season we've already beaten top 6 teams a number of times.

Edited by Grimbarian

2 hours ago, trev said:

Looking at the playoffs teams this year...I fancy us against them more than I did against last seasons.

Though it pains me to say it, I wouldn't be too confident against Leeds. They are looking very strong !!!!

Worth noting that the three teams who went up last season (Burnley, Boro and of course Hull) didn't play "champagne football". 

They played solid, efficient football and got the results. 

Brighton (arguably the best team in this division despite last night's results) are based upon a solidness and an ability to grind out results. 

Posted this a few times. Winning ugly or losing pretty. I choose to win. Whilst I think we can be more creative whilst keeping our tough to beat qualities, that may require a few of our players that are out to return. 

Very refreshing thread and nice to know im not the only one.