The best goals from the most skilful striker we've ever had

Football moves on fast, it seems like many a year ago but those old enough to have remembered the quality players we had back in the 90's are very lucky.
Like those of the older generation old enough to have witnessed the likes of Dooley; Fantham, Ron Springett, etc from the 50's and 60's.

It makes you wonder though in today's terms how much the likes of Nilsson; Harkes, Sheridan, Hirst, Waddle, Carbone and Di Canio would be worth today?

Prices for players have gone up so much since then in short space of time, that it's hard to see us ever having players of that caliber again,

unless we bring an extraordinary player through the youth team or become a mega rich club one-day.

Football moves on fast, it seems like many a year ago but those old enough to have remembered the quality players we had back in the 90's are very lucky.

Like those of the older generation old enough to have witnessed the likes of Dooley; Fantham, Ron Springett, etc from the 50's and 60's.

It makes you wonder though in today's terms how much the likes of Nilsson; Harkes, Sheridan, Hirst, Waddle, Carbone and Di Canio would be worth today?

Prices for players have gone up so much since then in short space of time, that it's hard to see us ever having players of that caliber again,

unless we bring an extraordinary player through the youth team or become a mega rich club one-day.

what goes around comes around mate ...we signed and sold top players in the 50/60s , free transfers from gillingham /aldershot in the 70s , big money signings in the 80/90s and back to free signings in the 2000s.....and have no doubt that it will change again again (soon i hope) it always does.

Guest BULGARIA

not sure if his goal in our 3-2 win at Southampton is on the clip as my internet is too slow where i live, but that goal is my all time favorite that ive seen live by a Wednesday player, just edging out that screamer from Harkes at Derby.  Can anyone remember the goal that i mean? I think Wayne Collins got one of the others. Think it was the game that Carton Palmer and Hirsty scored for Southampton. What a day that was. 

Guest Herbert Shoebanger

Chris waddle was my favourite player ever to pull on a Wednesday shirt followed in a near photo finish by hirsty.

However, I think to compare either of them with di canio is not really doable.

Paolo had skill,dribbling ability and a cracking shot.

Waddle had absolutely everything in the bag but also had the benefit of playing with some phenomenal players that allowed him to pick out that insanely good pass because it was anticipated by the likes of hirst, bright, warhurst.

Hirst was the most complete centre forward I have ever seen - unless you ever saw him live (hull at home or Man City with michel 'fastest defender in the country' vonk being turned) I don't think you would ever appreciate how fast,skilful or powerful he was for a big bloke.

All 3 were spectacularly good players but waddle did it at s6 for years, hirst scored 150 goals

Di canio had his best years at West Ham- painful to say it but true.

Like I said though-three different players and 3 different sets of attributes so to directly compare them is unfair I believe

None of those could single handedly change the tempo and outcome of a game through sheer will alone like Paolo.

What waddle did vs West Ham, Paolo did regularly and every time he felt like it

Waddle destroyed teams every week for a full season with us Edited by archieswfc

Chris waddle was my favourite player ever to pull on a Wednesday shirt followed in a near photo finish by hirsty.

However, I think to compare either of them with di canio is not really doable.

Paolo had skill,dribbling ability and a cracking shot.

Waddle had absolutely everything in the bag but also had the benefit of playing with some phenomenal players that allowed him to pick out that insanely good pass because it was anticipated by the likes of hirst, bright, warhurst.

Hirst was the most complete centre forward I have ever seen - unless you ever saw him live (hull at home or Man City with michel 'fastest defender in the country' vonk being turned) I don't think you would ever appreciate how fast,skilful or powerful he was for a big bloke.

All 3 were spectacularly good players but waddle did it at s6 for years, hirst scored 150 goals

Di canio had his best years at West Ham- painful to say it but true.

Like I said though-three different players and 3 different sets of attributes so to directly compare them is unfair I believe

Sums it up. Old and lucky enough to see all three. As well as shez, carbone, palmer etc. Wish we had a few players of this calibre now.