Coventry Vs Hull (what result do we want?)

55 minutes ago, Sykes said:

As long as one of them win, we need the pressure on Norwich to go to the final day, where they play Birmingham away.

Birmingham are more likely to go down than Blackburn, we don't want Norwich resting players for the play-offs that day.

Yeah agreed, keeping brum down there is vital, if Norwich need a point on the last day I don't fancy brums survival chances if they don't win at hudds 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sanchez_Jenks said:

Think this answers the west brom thread, no way they rest anyone Saturday with just a three point cushion 

Their goal difference gives them the edge, but they'll want to go into the play offs with some momentum. So, I doubt they'll take their foot off the gas now anyway. 

4 minutes ago, Johnny Fantham said:

So Coventry out of the play off race pretty well.

Hull could still catch West Brom or Norwich 

Coventry will still want to beat Blackburn at the weekend while ever they have a mathematical chance. They are 9 behind with 3 to play.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Johnny Fantham said:

So Coventry out of the play off race pretty well.

Hull could still catch West Brom or Norwich 

Yep. 

That's good news for Blackburn. Not so good for Plymouth.

The next question is who we want to win in the Hull V Ipswich game. 

Hull to keep the pressure on Norwich and so they go for it against Plymouth or Ipswich to make sure they field a full strength side against Huddersfield and so Leicester need to beat Blackburn? 

Edited by Geörge Whitebread

37 minutes ago, Castleford Owl said:

Really don't think it matters about this result. Doesn't change anything for us. Up to us to deliver.

It does. 

If other results go our way, we don't have as much to do. 

Clearly, that's not in any way suggesting the players can have that in their minds. 

But ultimately, the fewer points we need to survive, the better. 

• Like 1

Coventry have a game in hand so whilst it’s bleak it’s still in their interest to go after Blackburn, assuming they have some left in the tank this week. I’ve felt all along szmodics will save Blackburn 

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel. said:

Coventry have a game in hand so whilst it’s bleak it’s still in their interest to go after Blackburn, assuming they have some left in the tank this week. I’ve felt all along szmodics will save Blackburn 

How do they consistently manage to be poor or average but have one bloke that scores loads?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

How do they consistently manage to be poor or average but have one bloke that scores loads?

Same applies to a few teams, Sunderland so reliant on Clarke and before that Stewart. If you can get a match winner or two it’s the main difference, we saw that when we had Jacob Murphy and Fletcher in an average  side but when they left we had very little threat

• Like 1

On 23/04/2024 at 15:58, Geörge Whitebread said:

It depends what you mean by "we".

Of course, we (the fans) don't want the players to be distracted by anything that they're not directly in control of - i.e. their own performances. 

But there's no harm in us (the fans) looking at the permutations. 

I find it helps to think about routes to survival that don't depend on us beating West Brom because that's a tall order, even if we are at home.

Thank god I've heard one other sensible voice point out that, the fact that the manager and team have to focus on their own results, doesn't mean that we have to as fans.

(As an aside, it actually may be key for the team to break the 'focus on our own results' cliche late on the last day, as other results may very well dictate whether we need to hold for a draw, or need to win)

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Costello 77 said:

You go to war twice.

It's as simple as that.

It isn't though. 

@sturutter is spot on. 

If we're drawing in the last few minutes of the game at Sunderland, whether that's enough to avoid relegation should dictate our approach.

We win a corner, for example... if a draw will do, we need to keep the ball in the corner and plenty of defenders back; if not, we need to throw caution to the wind and send Beadle up there.