Coventry Vs Hull (what result do we want?)

While our own results are clearly the most important factor for us, this game could indirectly effect us...

If they draw, the play-off position of our next opponents will be mathematically confirmed (albeit their superior goal difference means it pretty much is anyway). 

If either win, they could potentially catch Norwich, and they could then need to beat Birmingham on the last day of the season.

If Coventry win, they'll be more inclined to make sure they beat Blackburn on Saturday.

If Hull win, they'll need to beat Plymouth on the final day.

So, what do you think is the best result from our perspective?

(Disclaimer: Yes, Danny and the team need to just focus on West Brom, then Sunderland. But that doesn't apply to us, as fans)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Geörge Whitebread said:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking... until @quinnssweetshop came up with a better idea.

I must admit, that's the first time I've ever been accused of not being a w*&%er. 

Yeah i think we want Coventry to be the team pushing Norwich to keep them honest for 6th place.  That will mean Norwich want to beat Brum on the last day too

I think Plymouth v Hull is potentially the one we let go by, as i can see Plymouth beating hull at home anyway.  Hull are the weakest of the teams pushing for play-offs, so let them drift away.  We will also want Ipswich to beat Hull on Saturday, so that ipswich are still pushing Leeds and Leicester for autos.  complicated!  

• Like 2

Struggle to care TBH. It's in our own hands now for the first time. All we need to do is what's necessary without worrying about other scores, not directly involving a relegation rival anyway.

• Like 2

George Whitebread

Coventry v Hull on Wednesday 24th April

^^^ (Question is how Coventry will recover from the Man Utd penalties defeat?)

Coventry (like Hull) though still have an "outside chance" of play offs?

Hard one to call this one? WE WOULD WANT COVENTRY TO WIN! 

Blackburn v Coventry on Saturday 27th April

IF Coventry LOSE at home to Hull above, then play offs gone.

That gives Blackburn a chance? Boo!!!!!!!

HULL City?

They would next play Ipswich at Home on Saturday 27th April

Ipswich fighting for automatic promotion to Premier League.

So, IF Hull lost at Coventry first,  play offs gone.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, striker said:

Struggle to care TBH. It's in our own hands now for the first time. All we need to do is what's necessary without worrying about other scores, not directly involving a relegation rival anyway.

It depends what you mean by "we".

Of course, we (the fans) don't want the players to be distracted by anything that they're not directly in control of - i.e. their own performances. 

But there's no harm in us (the fans) looking at the permutations. 

I find it helps to think about routes to survival that don't depend on us beating West Brom because that's a tall order, even if we are at home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don’t think this one matters that much.

For me I feel our fate will be decided by this weekends games.

A Birmingham win and I’d probably start looking and hoping Plymouth lose.

Gonne be a hard game and day the next round of fixtures.

11 minutes ago, lukeyswfc said:

Don’t think this one matters that much.

For me I feel our fate will be decided by this weekends games.

A Birmingham win and I’d probably start looking and hoping Plymouth lose.

Gonne be a hard game and day the next round of fixtures.

This is exactly the point though. 

If Birmingham win (seems likely) and we don't (also very possible, unfortunately), we'll either need Plymouth to lose away at Millwall (possible) and follow that up with defeat against Hull (depends on whether they have anything to play for) or for Blackburn to lose against Coventry (again, depends on whether they have anything to play for) and Leicester (pretty likely).

So, it genuinely could have an impact. 

32 minutes ago, Geörge Whitebread said:

Well, that's not ideal. We could do with them beating Blackburn really. 

Someone needs to gi em a stern talking to. 

Have a word, @Jim!

They won’t listen to me George. I can’t stand the tw@ts. I was one of the very few on here wanting Man Utd to win the semi-final.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Geörge Whitebread said:

While our own results are clearly the most important factor for us, this game could indirectly effect us...

If they draw, the play-off position of our next opponents will be mathematically confirmed (albeit their superior goal difference means it pretty much is anyway). 

If either win, they could potentially catch Norwich, and they could then need to beat Birmingham on the last day of the season.

If Coventry win, they'll be more inclined to make sure they beat Blackburn on Saturday.

If Hull win, they'll need to beat Plymouth on the final day.

So, what do you think is the best result from our perspective?

(Disclaimer: Yes, Danny and the team need to just focus on West Brom, then Sunderland. But that doesn't apply to us, as fans)

no it won’t!!!!!!!

you forgot to add the point in they’d get from the draw

End of thread!

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt

5 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

no it won’t!!!!!!!

you forgot to add the point in they’d get from the draw

End of thread!

Yeah, I did that thing where you assume a result is a foregone conclusion (in this case Ipswich to beat Hull on Saturday), then write it off as if it doesn't exist. Whoops!

I'm not sure that makes it "end of thread" though. If anything, that makes it even more important that Coventry win.

Unless you think Plymouth are more likely to lose/draw against Millwall than Blackburn are to lose against Leicester?

8 minutes ago, Geörge Whitebread said:

Yeah, I did that thing where you assume a result is a foregone conclusion (in this case Ipswich to beat Hull on Saturday), then write it off as if it doesn't exist. Whoops!

I'm not sure that makes it "end of thread" though. If anything, that makes it even more important that Coventry win.

Unless you think Plymouth are more likely to lose/draw against Millwall than Blackburn are to lose against Leicester?

Let’s put it this way, I’d not be confident in Leicester if they’ve already won the title.

We want a Southampton win tonight.

For the above reason and because it increases the chances of Ipswich having something to play for on the last match.

Every match has some sort of angle for us!

• Like 1

Just now, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Let’s put it this way, I’d not be confident in Leicester if they’ve already won the title.

We want a Southampton win tonight.

For the above reason and because it increases the chances of Ipswich having something to play for on the last match.

Every match has some sort of angle for us!

Very good point. 

I was assuming the title race would still be live.  But you're right, it might not be. 

Crazy season!