Why the dislike of the word 'Soccer'?

I've noticed in many of the comments on my posts that Soccer is a word we shouldn't use because it's an American name for the game.

No it ain't --- er --- I mean -- isn't..... it's an entirely English word.

Back in Victorian times we started "Association' Football, and it was from that word, AS-SOC-IATION, that the word soccer was born. At that time,  Rugby Football was also born, when allegedly on the playing fields at Rugby school some upper crust snooty picked the ball up (during a soccer game) and ran off with it. And they all had a simply beezer time, wot wot, you know, with that snorting, har har laugh the upper crust little bleeders do.... and at that time, to name the 2 games apart, they came up with Rugger while we kept Soccer.

Then, in the first decade of the 20th Century, the Yanks copied us and started their own Association Football, (soccer, the same game as us...they nicked it) but theirs remained unpopular for decades.

However, its OUR word, not theirs, and I for one think it's time we claimed it back. 

Look thissun up....   

Why Do Some People Call It Soccer? | HISTORY

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Michaeltheowl said:

I've noticed in many of the comments on my posts that Soccer is a word we shouldn't use because it's an American name for the game.

Nope. It's more widely used in America because they call their handegg game "football". 

It's also used here, but mainly by the people that invented it... Rugger types that wanted their game to have equal standing with ours. 

No it ain't --- er --- I mean -- isn't..... it's an entirely English word.

Most words that are widely used in America originate from England. What's your point?!

Back in Victorian times we started "Association' Football, and it was from that word, AS-SOC-IATION, that the word soccer was born. At that time,  Rugby Football was also born, when allegedly on the playing fields at Rugby school some upper crust snooty picked the ball up (during a soccer game) and ran off with it. And they all had a simply beezer time, wot wot, you know, with that snorting, har har laugh the upper crust little bleeders do.... and at that time, to name the 2 games apart, they came up with Rugger while we kept Soccer.

Nope. This is utter rounduns. 

They were playing FOOTBALL when they bastardised the game by picking the ball up and running with it. The term "soccer" was invented to distinguish the original game from the new game of Rugby Football. 

Then, in the first decade of the 20th Century, the Yanks copied us and started their own Association Football, (soccer, the same game as us...they nicked it) but theirs remained unpopular for decades.

However, its OUR word, not theirs, and I for one think it's time we claimed it back. 

It is not "our" word, if you call yourself a football fan. It's is a word for non-football fans to refer to our game. 

Edited by Geörge Whitebread

2 minutes ago, Onge said:

Unless prefixed with the word "sensible", soccer is a term that shouldn't be used by any Brit.

Yep, or prefixed with the words, "Class" or "Proper" to exemplify the better quality we have over here.

4 minutes ago, Willie Henderson said:

Well at least it's better than "fubble", which is what it seems to be called by a lot of those southern types.

Oh don't get me goin on them Southern Jessies, Willie. You'll have trouble shurrin me up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Funny thing that...

Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Toronto FC

LAFC

Real Football Club names...

Montreal CF (Club de Football)

Inter Miami CF (Club de Football)

Real Euro snobby names

Orlando City SC

St Louis SC

Really? Soccer Club...

Then, of course, 

New York Red Bulls

Blatant advertising but may also be our future....

1 hour ago, Geörge Whitebread said:

Nope. It's more widely used in America because they call their handegg game "football". 

It's also used here, but mainly by the people that invented it... Rugger types that wanted their game to have equal standing with ours. 

Most words that are widely used in America originate from England. What's your point?!

Nope. This is utter rounduns. 

They were playing FOOTBALL when they bastardised the game by picking the ball up and running with it. The term "soccer" was invented to distinguish the original game from the new game of Rugby Football. 

It is not "our" word, if you call yourself a football fan. It's is a word for non-football fans to refer to our game. 

It takes some doing, but this is one of the most confidently incorrect answers ever given on this site.

The "football" part of the word has nothing to do with kicking the ball. Football - as it was and as all other codes of football worldwide continue to be - involved having the ball in hand originally. The name refers to being on foot, rather than on horseback. It's to distinguish from polo, with nothing in the name having any relation to not using hands when in possession.

Soccer is the code which doesn't involve possession with the hands and therefore has a handball rule. The OP is correct in terms of soccer's English origins.

However, language is fluid and so yeah, in England it is unusual to hear soccer used. It's actually quite jarring from an English accent, because we're not used to it. However, when I'm talking to people back in Ireland, or in the rest of the anglophone world, I'll often use soccer when I'm trying to be clear what my meaning is.

Context is everything with language.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, SouthsideOwl3940 said:

My young lad, 9, trains with the Melbourne City school. This term he has an Englishman as a coach, who calls it soccer. I said "how on earth does an Englishman call Football, Soccer?" He reckons his mates give him heaps .... and rightly so 🙂

It's very much soccer here. I still don't use the term. Although I find if I'm talking to football people. They will use "football" rather than soccer.

Using Footie/football tends to end up in an NRL or AFL miss communication. With fans of other codes. 

All three games are good fun imho.

Edited by Maddogbob
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

All three games are good fun imho.

This is another great point; I hate the whole "my sport is better than your sport" rubbish. I love loads of sports and I dislike many others, but why get in an argument about how someone likes to spend their leisure time?

Football (soccer) is awful at it when it comes to bragging on the global popularity, ice hockey and the rugby codes are awful when it comes to bragging about physicality, cycling and endurance sports when it comes to fitness metrics etc. Just let people have fun.