Why the dislike of the word 'Soccer'?

18 hours ago, San Clemente Owl said:

I've seen the zero to nil change in some places but it tends to be the commentators rather than the studio presenter, maybe because of NBCs coverage.  The other one I hate over here is when they refer to a penalty as a PK, really grates on me when I hear that!!

With regard to the word soccer, its not going away here, the NFL is far too entrenched in the American sports culture to be replaced by proper football.  I used to refuse to use the word soccer but I have much bigger language issues with the Yanks use of the English language that I use it now.  If I don't then I end up having to revert to it to be fully understood.

I can get past the use of soccer. It's when someone says its one to zero. Scoreline wise.

Really grates that.

It makes me that angry, i want to set fire to stuff.

Edited by Maddogbob

On 08/02/2024 at 21:00, Michaeltheowl said:

I've noticed in many of the comments on my posts that Soccer is a word we shouldn't use because it's an American name for the game.

No it ain't --- er --- I mean -- isn't..... it's an entirely English word.

Back in Victorian times we started "Association' Football, and it was from that word, AS-SOC-IATION, that the word soccer was born. At that time,  Rugby Football was also born, when allegedly on the playing fields at Rugby school some upper crust snooty picked the ball up (during a soccer game) and ran off with it. And they all had a simply beezer time, wot wot, you know, with that snorting, har har laugh the upper crust little bleeders do.... and at that time, to name the 2 games apart, they came up with Rugger while we kept Soccer.

Then, in the first decade of the 20th Century, the Yanks copied us and started their own Association Football, (soccer, the same game as us...they nicked it) but theirs remained unpopular for decades.

However, its OUR word, not theirs, and I for one think it's time we claimed it back. 

Look thissun up....   

Why Do Some People Call It Soccer? | HISTORY

Football 😈

Football sums up exactly what football is.

Rugby and Grid Iron football you have no idea what the game is by the name alone.

The person who came up with the word soccer deserves all the contempt every fan can muster and most fans are aware of the history of the word soccer.

Football is loved as it's a simple game requiring a high degree of skill and athleticism to play it well. 

Soccer should be wiped from the lexicon. 

• Love 1

On 16/02/2024 at 14:15, Maddogbob said:

I can get past the use of soccer. It's when someone says its one to zero. Scoreline wise.

Really grates that.

It makes me that angry, i want to set fire to stuff.

Are you an arsonist. 

or just an arse..lol