Championship 23/24

1 minute ago, scram said:

They lost the ball what, 8 yards outside the Leicester penalty area?

And there was one saints player between Leicester and their goal?

Yeah, I think it was Smallbone left by himself. 

Honestly, that was the sort of thing that happens in 5 aside games lol

3 minutes ago, Night King said:

He has no clue how to organise a defence does he? His teams are always the same. 

I'm sure he does as a former PL and International defender - but he definitely hasn't found the balance with this team at least

Shocking goals against record

5 minutes ago, scram said:

I think thats nonsense tbh

Of course he wants to win things but he wants to win playing his way

It took him a while to get going at both MK and Swansea as he got his ideas across before the teams got used to them and became consistent

At MK Dons he finished 19th and 13th in League One. He then went to Swansea and they finished 15th last season.

Despite all these passing records, he's not achieved much has he?

I just don't see how an attractive style of play is important to a club in their position. His teams were rubbish defensively at MK Dons and Swansea too, and if they carry on playing like this they'll be nowhere near promotion this season. 

1 minute ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

At MK Dons he finished 19th and 13th in League One. He then went to Swansea and they finished 15th last season.

Despite all these passing records, he's not achieved much has he?

I just don't see how an attractive style of play is important to a club in their position. His teams were rubbish defensively at MK Dons and Swansea too, and if they carry on playing like this they'll be nowhere near promotion this season. 

The issue here is that it ends up in a stat attack as if that's some sort of determinative point

Mk was his first job and he was starting to get them where he wanted as regards playing - obviously others look further than just positions on a bit of paper and he got the Swans job - and by the end of the season they were better than what he inherited and although "15th" - they were in the mix for the play offs with a couple of weeks left if i remember correctly

Which was obviously noted so he got one of the best jobs outside the premier

I just think to suggest he doesn't care about winning is ridiculous - of course he does

He knows, i know, you know and everybody who remotely follows football knows that "style" will become irrelevant if it isn't backed by results

4 minutes ago, scram said:

The issue here is that it ends up in a stat attack as if that's some sort of determinative point

Mk was his first job and he was starting to get them where he wanted as regards playing - obviously others look further than just positions on a bit of paper and he got the Swans job - and by the end of the season they were better than what he inherited and although "15th" - they were in the mix for the play offs with a couple of weeks left if i remember correctly

Which was obviously noted so he got one of the best jobs outside the premier

I just think to suggest he doesn't care about winning is ridiculous - of course he does

He knows, i know, you know and everybody who remotely follows football knows that "style" will become irrelevant if it isn't backed by results

Yes, and I said so in the same post you're referring to. But like I also said with the rate at which they're conceding goals it's in danger of becoming style over substance. 

We'll see if he tightens things up, because he's not going to get away with it if he doesn't.

9 hours ago, Big Malc said:

Saints played like they had money on Leicester to win.  Never seen a side misplace so many passes that put themselves in imminent danger of conceding.

Obviously they're not meaning to misplace passes but Martin's teams do play very high risk football - and it looks horrific when it goes wrong

I'm sure they'll stick to this plan but they have lost their best player in linking this strategy in JWP

Watching the game i actually thought Leicester got a bit too bold with their high press and would be vulnerable to more direct play - which is how the saints goal came about

I think it's about recognising in-game situations and adapting to exploit rather than stick doggedly to a formula when it has clearly been thwarted

Even accounting for saints poor passing some of their defending belongs on the local rec - it was abysmal

23 hours ago, scram said:

Obviously they're not meaning to misplace passes but Martin's teams do play very high risk football - and it looks horrific when it goes wrong

My recollection is that Russell Martin takes a bit of time to mould teams into the style he wants to play. I think Swansea, if memory serves, struggled in the first half of last season but then finished the season strongly. Trouble is that Southampton are most likely banking on an immediate return to the PL, and patience is probably not on the clubs agenda.

1 hour ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

My recollection is that Russell Martin takes a bit of time to mould teams into the style he wants to play. I think Swansea, if memory serves, struggled in the first half of last season but then finished the season strongly. Trouble is that Southampton are most likely banking on an immediate return to the PL, and patience is probably not on the clubs agenda.

Yep - fair assessment

I think Saints are also banking on them having much better players than he's had in the past so adapting to his system shouldn't take too long

I'm really not a fan of giving a new manager only a few games to get to grips with a new job but it's what it is these days and i guess the saints clock will shortly be ringing the alarm

Please don't laugh too loudly - i'm already feeling a little fragile for not skewering xisco in every post

But the way Leeds play is kind of how i expected us to play - at least before it became clear we won't going to be acquiring players that can play that way...

• Like 1