Defunct Grounds

On 14/10/2022 at 01:22, DCFCOwls said:

I miss the baseball ground 

The old Wembley should have never been replaced, been to both the old and new and the old was better by a mile.

I think the new wembley stadium is the best in world football.

• Like 2

On 14/10/2022 at 01:22, DCFCOwls said:

I miss the baseball ground 

The old Wembley should have never been replaced, been to both the old and new and the old was better by a mile.

I hated the Baseball Ground at the time, we always lost there, but looking back it was a proper ground surrounded by terraced houses.  I went to a few famous games there not involving Wednesday.  Man City when the penalty spot has disappeared into the mud. Watney Cup Final v Man UTD in 1970.

On 13/10/2022 at 21:46, parkfieldowl14 said:

Surprised that no-one's mentioned Bristol Rover's Old Eastville Stadium . 🤔

image.png.3554f91711d4fbb71f69184c864b4b9d.png

someone did .....saw peter rodrigues score a great  top corner jobbie in a 1-1 draw  in the infamous 74-75 season ,

On 11/10/2022 at 00:42, owl_83 said:

Nene Park (is it still there) Rushden and Diamonds

was down there this week and called in for a few  groceries ...its an asda superstore these days .......rushden have gone back to there original ground hayden road in the town of rushden 

26 minutes ago, g-owls said:

Highfield Road was a good ground.

Even though I never saw us win there, I always enjoyed it. 

Think I went there 4 times in the 1990s and never saw us concede a goal. 1-0 in the LC QF in 1991, another 1-0 win (Whittingham winner iirc), and a couple of 0-0 draws. 

45 minutes ago, g-owls said:

I only went once. Would probably have been one of the last times Wednesday played there, and we lost 2-0. Quite liked the ground but I was surprised at how poor the atmosphere was. A brief cheer when Coventry scored, but absolute silence for the rest of the game.

On 23/10/2022 at 13:37, g-owls said:

I only went to Highfield Road once, it was April 92, one year on from our Wembley win against Man Utd & the Coventry keeper was non other than Les Sealey (RIP)

When he came out for the second half he headed towards the away end goal & couldn’t believe the warm reception he got from the Wednesday fans, he looked proper shocked when we sang his name.

It must’ve been the memory of him shouting at the Man Utd physio & refusing to go off when he got injured in the game at Wembley.

It finished 0-0 that night & this is the only thing I remember about the game.

17 hours ago, flying-owl said:

I only went to Highfield Road once, it was April 92, one year on from our Wembley win against Man Utd & the Coventry keeper was non other than Les Sealey (RIP)

When he came out for the second half he headed towards the away end goal & couldn’t believe the warm reception he got from the Wednesday fans, he looked proper shocked when we sang his name.

It must’ve been the memory of him shouting at the Man Utd physio & refusing to go off when he got injured in the game at Wembley.

It finished 0-0 that night & this is the only thing I remember about the game.

I was there.

You remember more than I do...

• Like 1