European football 22/23

On 03/09/2022 at 21:37, scram said:

Can't believe just how much better Celtic were than Rangers today

Rangers were abysmal

They were abysmal but there is a gulf in quality too as well as the grit and graft IMO.

It’s not just hard work and a well drilled system, Celtic’s flair and forward players are considerably better than what Rangers have to offer. Ryan Kent isn’t in the same league as the likes of Jota and Kyogo. 

If you look at the two starting XIs yesterday - who in that Rangers team gets a place in Celtic’s XI?

I would say two. Tavernier and Goldson. That says it all.

9 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Think Celtic might have a chance for 2nd. 

I think they have a decent chance too. 

10 hours ago, Drewswfc said:

Well Celtic are failing miserably in Europe yet again. Can't see Rangers doing much either. Think this will be man city's year. 

I’m no Celtic fan but them performing admirably and losing to the current holders who have probably 20 times their budget is no disgrace. Celtic should be judged on the other games and yet they should have been 2-0 up at half time last night.

I agree on Rangers they could quite easily lose every game in their group.

2 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

I think they have a decent chance too. 

I’m no Celtic fan but them performing admirably and losing to the current holders who have probably 20 times their budget is no disgrace. Celtic should be judged on the other games and yet they should have been 2-0 up at half time last night.

I agree on Rangers they could quite easily lose every game in their group.

Didn't watch it pal. Just saw the result. Read report this morning and it sounds like they played well but failed to put the ball in the net.

Celtic were ultimately undone by superior quality last night.

The pleasing aspect of it was that the team did what the manager promised beforehand, to go and attack Real Madrid.

They could have scored after 27 seconds and probably should have done on at least another couple of occasions in the first half. Maeda should have done better straight after half time, and McGregor was really unlucky when his attempt came back off the woodwork.

The fans stayed behind at the end because they knew the team had played the same positive style of football they’ve done throughout Ange’s time in charge.

As a Celtic supporter, it’s all you can ask for. 

12 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Moments silence before the start of the second half of the Hearts’ match. Few dissenting voices drowned out by GSTQ

Drowned out? That’s not what happened. There were thousands of boos. And how it really happened was one bellend shouted “fizz the queen”,  which was then followed by about a dozen bellends who started singing GSTQ, and that was followed by thousand of boos. The boos IMO were for the people singing England’s anthem.

To be honest there shouldn’t have been a silence as this always had the possibility  of happening. I’m no fan of the monarchy but it’s still shameful that our fans couldn’t keep quiet to respect an old lady. 

Edited by edinburghowl

49 minutes ago, Drewswfc said:

How have Celtic not won that?

Back in the days of O’Neill they had Henrik Larsson to grab them a goal.

The current team are probably the best squad since that time with Kyogo being the most genuine striker in the squad, but I don’t see any of the other attacking players as natural finishers.