Forest Green manager to Watford

2 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

bang on this 👌🏻

watford have a ready made promotion squad and probably tens of millions to throw at it besides. 

watford are also known for premature/unfair sackings so even if it doesn’t work, every chance the footballing world sympathise 

They don't have tens of millions - they are in a financial black hole which is likely why they have changed direction completely

Half the squad want out (Sarr and Dennis, possibly Pedro would raise decent funds) and the rest are either bang average, aged and past their best or out of contract and moving on

Their saving grace is that the owners also own Udinese and they can do their usual trick of sending players between the clubs

But this sea change in direction has their fans worried that the financial black hole is way worse than the club are admitting

2 minutes ago, scram said:

They don't have tens of millions - they are in a financial black hole which is likely why they have changed direction completely

Half the squad want out (Sarr and Dennis, possibly Pedro would raise decent funds) and the rest are either bang average, aged and past their best or out of contract and moving on

Their saving grace is that the owners also own Udinese and they can do their usual trick of sending players between the clubs

But this sea change in direction has their fans worried that the financial black hole is way worse than the club are admitting

Got to have the alarm bells ringing when they've recently earned the windfall from promotion too. 

How much is it? 200 odd million to get up? 

If there still in a real pickle after that, then that's got to be concerning. 

Edited by SiJ

9 hours ago, scram said:

been promoted and then relegated with parachute payments…I’m surely they’ll cope mate. 

Just now, Wednesday_Jack said:

been promoted and then relegated with parachute payments…I’m surely they’ll cope mate. 

I don't think Scram is just making that stuff up. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I don't think Scram is just making that stuff up. 

I doubt he his but he isn’t their account or Elton John…they will spend money received from parachute payment and possibly player sales. 

their aim next season will be an immediate return to the PL. 

10 hours ago, scram said:

In the know?

Watford are one of those clubs i've never really been bothered about, nice kit though.

1 hour ago, 0742 said:

In the know?

Watford are one of those clubs i've never really been bothered about, nice kit though.

I am actually itk on this

I was told by a mate who is well on the inside that in their last championship season if they didn't get promoted they might not stay in business

I don't think many people understand their model. 

Check it out - they have literally dozens of players in their books

Many you'll never have heard of and many won't have ever been anywhere near Watford and never will

A big step up for him and Watford not known for keeping managers long. Hope he's renting his house! 

As for Watford, just another of the clubs led into relative obscurity as EPL cannon fodder. Some may disagree, but seeing your team win 6 games all season doesnt sound like good fun to me. It's almost as if the EPL is all about the money and not football :ph34r:

Anyway, now a Championship club, if they aren't top 2 by October, suspect Watford will be making another change. 

7 hours ago, The only way is S6 said:

Wonder if Woy will be able to find his way out of the stadium on his own? Go & put your feet up you silly old fart & take the old dial up phone ☎️ off the hook. 

After Watford played Palace and relegation was confirmed Hodgson went around Selhurst applauding the Palace fans - didn't acknowledge the Watford fans

A couple of stories emerged over this - one was that as he used to be Palace manager he "forgot" he wasn't managing them any more

Another was that he didn't get the opportunity to say goodbye to their fans as he was released during lockdown when they were playing behind closed doors - probably nearer the truth tbh

But to not acknowledge the fans of the club you have just relegated?!?

He is not popular among their fans and they cannot wait for him to be gone from the club

29 minutes ago, scram said:

After Watford played Palace and relegation was confirmed Hodgson went around Selhurst applauding the Palace fans - didn't acknowledge the Watford fans

A couple of stories emerged over this - one was that as he used to be Palace manager he "forgot" he wasn't managing them any more

Another was that he didn't get the opportunity to say goodbye to their fans as he was released during lockdown when they were playing behind closed doors - probably nearer the truth tbh

But to not acknowledge the fans of the club you have just relegated?!?

He is not popular among their fans and they cannot wait for him to be gone from the club

He should have just said no, when Watford rang him. Stay home, pop both his feet in his big zip up tartan slipper & relax. 

2 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

He should have just said no, when Watford rang him. Stay home, pop both his feet in his big zip up tartan slipper & relax. 

Yes

I've heard he has an ego the size of the solar system coupled with an almost absence of self awareness

He has one of the worst records in the PL with his time at Watford (and yes there are plenty of issues there) - but to kind of ignore his own role may have anything whatever to do with it is quite the thing...

3 minutes ago, scram said:

Yes

I've heard he has an ego the size of the solar system coupled with an almost absence of self awareness

He has one of the worst records in the PL with his time at Watford (and yes there are plenty of issues there) - but to kind of ignore his own role may have anything whatever to do with it is quite the thing...

I’ll never forget the press conference after our Iceland humiliation in Nice.

After resigning, he actually said;

I don’t really know what I’m doing here! 😂

I’d have made the buffoon walk home, carrying his own suitcase. 

• Like 2

On 11/05/2022 at 16:59, Mickjj said:

Rob Edwards has been appointed as Watford's new manager — after his abrupt departure left Forest Green Rovers fuming.

With Roy Hodgson leaving the relegated Hornets at the end of the season, Edwards emerged as the leading candidate to succeed him at Vicarage Road. 

And the club have now confirmed the 39-year-old former Aston Villa and Wolves defender will take charge this summer. 

An official statement said: "Rob had a contractual provision allowing him to leave Forest Green Rovers at any time to discuss employment opportunities at other clubs and the Hornets are delighted to confirm our discussions concluded today."

But League Two champions Rovers are far from happy with how the Premier League side went about landing their man. 

Chairman Dale Vince said: "People come and go in football all the time. The important thing is the manner of it. 

"Disappointed is what I told him. He did apologise. I am just overwhelmingly disappointed. 

"I wish him well but it's poor from Watford, Rob as well. 

"The proper way to do things is for the club to approach us. Then they carry on and have their conversation. 

"Watford advised Rob not to tell us, specifically. That doubles down on the deceit. Deceit is part of a culture that comes from the top."

A club statement added: "Rob was a key part of the team that gained promotion to League One this season. 

"We’re disappointed that our support, loyalty and honesty towards Rob has been repaid in this way — with negotiations taking place behind our backs. 

Sacked  before season starts