Forest Green manager to Watford

Rob Edwards has been appointed as Watford's new manager — after his abrupt departure left Forest Green Rovers fuming.

With Roy Hodgson leaving the relegated Hornets at the end of the season, Edwards emerged as the leading candidate to succeed him at Vicarage Road. 

And the club have now confirmed the 39-year-old former Aston Villa and Wolves defender will take charge this summer. 

An official statement said: "Rob had a contractual provision allowing him to leave Forest Green Rovers at any time to discuss employment opportunities at other clubs and the Hornets are delighted to confirm our discussions concluded today."

But League Two champions Rovers are far from happy with how the Premier League side went about landing their man. 

Chairman Dale Vince said: "People come and go in football all the time. The important thing is the manner of it. 

"Disappointed is what I told him. He did apologise. I am just overwhelmingly disappointed. 

"I wish him well but it's poor from Watford, Rob as well. 

"The proper way to do things is for the club to approach us. Then they carry on and have their conversation. 

"Watford advised Rob not to tell us, specifically. That doubles down on the deceit. Deceit is part of a culture that comes from the top."

A club statement added: "Rob was a key part of the team that gained promotion to League One this season. 

"We’re disappointed that our support, loyalty and honesty towards Rob has been repaid in this way — with negotiations taking place behind our backs. 

I can understand Forest Green’s disappointment at his departure.

But the  “support and loyalty” shown to their manager and to which the Forest Green chairman refers, works both ways - would the club have been as supportive and loyal towards him had they been bumbling along in the lower half of the table - quite possibly not ?

Having said that, I’m not sure that I’d have left Forest Green for Watford, given the latters dreadful recent track record of hiring and firing managers on a whim

7 hours ago, Kew Owl said:

I can understand Forest Green’s disappointment at his departure.

But the  “support and loyalty” shown to their manager and to which the Forest Green chairman refers, works both ways - would the club have been as supportive and loyal towards him had they been bumbling along in the lower half of the table - quite possibly not ?

Having said that, I’m not sure that I’d have left Forest Green for Watford, given the latters dreadful recent track record of hiring and firing managers on a whim

You're not sure if you'd have left a team promoted to the third tier for the first time to go to a much bigger team who are a promotion favourite to go back to the top tier from the second tier. 

Even if it all goes wrong he'll get a massive pay off and little damage to his reputation and walk into a L1 job at worst. 

Win-win for Edwards 

• Like 1

Strange vice from Watford

Maybe it's recognition they are completely skint

If they are gonna make such a move they have to give him time

They have really had a football plan since day 1 of the current owners

Other than as a shop window to parade and sell players

21 hours ago, fudge27 said:

You're not sure if you'd have left a team promoted to the third tier for the first time to go to a much bigger team who are a promotion favourite to go back to the top tier from the second tier. 

Even if it all goes wrong he'll get a massive pay off and little damage to his reputation and walk into a L1 job at worst. 

Win-win for Edwards 

bang on this 👌🏻

watford have a ready made promotion squad and probably tens of millions to throw at it besides. 

watford are also known for premature/unfair sackings so even if it doesn’t work, every chance the footballing world sympathise