Who Are The Luckiest Team In England ?

On 10/01/2022 at 18:50, 31Dec1966 said:

United were lucky to come across Wilder, and he/they were lucky for 3 seasons when everything fell for them.

Historically, Forest were even more lucky when Clough went there. They'd done nothing for a century, and Clough won them the European Cup, twice.  When he left they did nothing again. Derby were incredibly stupid to sack him, so were Leeds. I wrote to Wednesday begging them to go get him, if they'd listened to me, we could have won the European Cup.

Conversely we were incredibly unlucky that his boyhood team, Aston Villa poached RA when we were ready to join the elite.

derby didn’t sack Brian Clough. He walked out and resigned due to spats with the chairman. 

he tried to undo it but it was too late.

another one where our chairman knew better than the fans.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

Currently Aston Villa who should have gone down were it not for that goal line technology mistake 18 months ago. They certainly would be nowhere near their current position had that not happened.  

And prior to that when they lost in the playoff final in 2018 they were apparently completely financially f*cked, but then got new owners and spent even more.

4 hours ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

Currently Aston Villa who should have gone down were it not for that goal line technology mistake 18 months ago. They certainly would be nowhere near their current position had that not happened.  

If that goal had went in Villa could still have drawn/ won and subsequent games could be different.

A 38 game season isnt decided by one decision in a game.

18 hours ago, Raminpeace said:

derby didn’t sack Brian Clough. He walked out and resigned due to spats with the chairman. 

he tried to undo it but it was too late.

another one where our chairman knew better than the fans.

I know that but effectively they did. Had Longson not been so pig headed Clough and taylor would have gone back.   I went to Derby a few times in those days (not just to see Wednesday), I was amazed that average players seemed to get better under Clough. (I went to The Watney Cup Final to see Best Charlton and Law take Derby apart.....turned out a bit different, but what a game)

On 12/01/2022 at 17:54, 31Dec1966 said:

I know that but effectively they did. Had Longson not been so pig headed Clough and taylor would have gone back.   I went to Derby a few times in those days (not just to see Wednesday), I was amazed that average players seemed to get better under Clough. (I went to The Watney Cup Final to see Best Charlton and Law take Derby apart.....turned out a bit different, but what a game)

the Watney cup final  is available on line. It’s a fantastic game. Great saves by Les Green but Derby tearing Man Utd to ribbons.

we had a fantastic team built almost entirely by Clough and Taylor. 100% credit to them. 
there are lots of stories of Cloughy reminiscing about those days, and he is on record as rating his Derby team as better than his Forest teams. I do enjoy reminding them of that.

I would have agreed with you at time, that the club scored the greatest own goal in its history.

Having read the book about what happened at Brighton, and then the events at Leeds, I’ve come to conclude that brian was unmanageable and hellbent on self-destruction. He was drinking to excess even then. He was impulsive and lacked any self control. We imagined years of success but it might have all been brought crashing down. Unfortunately We’ll never know. But they were great days. 

• Like 1