Is it really easier?

Towards the inevitable last season quite a few on here and around the pubs and clubs of Sheffield were saying "it'd be better if we went down, it's easier to rebuild, clear the deadwood and then carry momentum up into the championship" 

This was a theory I'd never subscribed to and thought relegation was a disaster all round. 

However without this theory neither proven nor dismissed, what are peoples thoughts so far? 

Have we rebuilt a team and management team that could progress us beyond where we were this time last season? Is Darren Moore capable of pushing us into the top 6 of the championship, is this squad the same? If not, to those who say its easier to rebuild in league 1, do we get rid of Moore now? If he's not capable in the championship and easier to build from here surely that's the logical option? 

Thoughts.... 

I think rebuilding in the Championship would have been preferable because of the better financial climate. But in L1 the league while tough is quite forgiving in many respects. We are not playing well at all but are still only a point off playoffs. A small amount of improvement will have a big positive effect. In the Championship you can be miles adrift very easily and then you are chopping and changing managers mid season which really isn’t a good platform to build on. 

As for how Moore will do this season is in his own hands. He has a decent enough squad IMO and will either get the best out of it or not. The season is 46 games long. I’d say if we aren’t in the playoff spot by Christmas, Moore will be sacked. I also think if Moore takes us up it will be because he got things right so will deserve a good couple of seasons with us in the Championship. 

I’m not convinced so far but think Moore could get it right.

All to play for…

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

It’s just as poo . Horrible league is league one. I agree with you, going down last season was a disaster. I could never understand people being okay with it. 

It blew my mind. No logic to it at all. 

The only part that I could get my head round was "if" we started to win more often than not then that could build a feelgood factor. 

Just don't see this team and manager being capable of promotion from this league nevermind being better than the team that finished bottom last season

• Like 1

Never subscribed to the theory but it feels like lots do. It’s like if you are struggling as a office clerk, but are one move off being the office manager, you quit to become a low paid telesales operative thinking it will give you a chan e to rethink and reset. We keep going back into this division, resetting and not going up into the Premiership. Surely our best way into the Premiership is to stay in the Championship and build a team there. There will always be exceptions, but they are rarer.

It’s a bit like constantly changing your style of play to stop the opposition rather than build your own style. Mourinho may have used that philosophy, but Pep, Klopp etc don’t and neither did Leeds, Brentford, Sheff U etc when they went up from the Championship. 

3 minutes ago, stocksyuto said:

I’m prepared for Wednesday to spend a few seasons in league 1, it doesn’t happen over night

That's not what people were professing though. They said it'd be easier to do it in league 1 than the championship.

We've all had to put up with this league for 5 seasons in less than 20 now. 

4 minutes ago, 83owl said:

You can get away a bit more with being crap in L1 which is a good thing for us.

We are in the lower leagues, yes I think we can drop further yet, for the long haul

22 minutes ago, trev said:

Imagine if we had stayed up with DM in charge.

Do we think the signings would have been very different?

I doubt it but does that mean it was therefore a good thing? Because we're comparably less sh*t than our peers in the league below? 

I suppose it depends where you want Wednesday to be competing?

1 hour ago, TheGaffer said:

I doubt it but does that mean it was therefore a good thing? Because we're comparably less sh*t than our peers in the league below? 

I suppose it depends where you want Wednesday to be competing?

Just wondering if the players we signed were purely because of the league we are now in or were they players earmarked by DM regardless if we went down.