Swfc ranked 89/91 for club-fan engagement

Just now, S36 OWL said:

You were robbed mate. Amazon have you just where they want you. They own you. They have brainwashed you into buying any old crap they are flogging. 

Now - imagine that our club had the ambition and same techniques to get people coming to matches, buying replica shirts etc

Point proven

I rest my case your honour

• Haha 2

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Now - imagine that our club had the ambition and same techniques to get people coming to matches, buying replica shirts etc

Point proven

I rest my case your honour

Even Amazon couldn't flog tickets for our games. 

• Haha 1

Guest Hornsby
2 hours ago, owlinexile said:

If nobody new is coming to games, nobody new is going to be watching SWFC on TV either.  It's not a different argument.

In fact if 40% of people tweeting about Wednesday are women, isn't that actually pretty good?  

I'm not sure what you are trying to imply about recruitment.  Do you think the club are turning away players based on their ethnicity?

The club has a million real problems without having to invent more.

Am implying we dont do enough on recruitment, look at local ex Blades now in Epl, Champions Keague or England squad.

Many clubs target SE London BME community for those brilliant kids where  system has failed them and soccer is best way to achieve.

Need to convert Tweeters to Owls spenders and attenders.

£15 seats next season should do it.

22 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Why should the fan base have to "reflect the population"? 

I'm not necessarily saying we should moreso one of the clubs goals should surely be to grow the fan base. Not just be complacent and assume that my son will support Wednesday because I do.

They need to put an offer out to young people, BAME, LGBTQ etc because these groups are under represented across our fanbase. Essentially for the club this is lost revenue and these groups are large part of the Sheffield population. Plus I would hope all people in Sheffield would feel welcome at Hillsborough.

This isn't to say we should neglect our current hard-core.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hornsby said:

Am implying we dont do enough on recruitment, look at local ex Blades now in Epl, Champions Keague or England squad.

Many clubs target SE London BME community for those brilliant kids where  system has failed them and soccer is best way to achieve.

South East London is hardly 'BME kids from the local community'.  

Our academy is rubbish because it has been consistently neglected and underfunded for decades.  Nothing to do with ethnicity.

People don't want to come and watch Wednesday because it is crap.  Nothing to do with gender.

• Love 1

Guest LondonOwl313
37 minutes ago, ReginaldD said:

I'm not necessarily saying we should moreso one of the clubs goals should surely be to grow the fan base. Not just be complacent and assume that my son will support Wednesday because I do.

They need to put an offer out to young people, BAME, LGBTQ etc because these groups are under represented across our fanbase. Essentially for the club this is lost revenue and these groups are large part of the Sheffield population. Plus I would hope all people in Sheffield would feel welcome at Hillsborough.

Thing is, how do you know gay people are underrepresented in our fan base. It’s not like they’re forced to tattoo it across their forehead, I’d imagine that sexuality is fairly evenly represented.

Gender is a different issue. But most women I know have little interest in football whereas most blokes have at least a passing interest. It’s always going to be male dominated and we shouldn’t try and change that, in the same way that you can’t force blokes to like furniture shopping or whatever.

The biggest issue is the lack of young people. And that’s generally a pricing issue or lack of entertainment/force of habit.

Address the young/old divide and other minorities will probably be better represented as a result 

3 hours ago, Hornsby said:

Our academy teams certainly aren't under-represented in terms of BME.

When you are mentioning the likes of Kyle Walker as a shining light of the Blades academy fair enough - but that was at a time before Chansiri when our academy was truly neglected, it has certainly had more attention given to it under the current regime than it did previously. Our under 18's and under 23's are ending the season well and have been successful in the recent past within this era. 

In terms of female fans, as has been mentioned in this thread, in past nationwide surveys, our club faired quite favourably in terms of the percentage of female fans attending games. Plenty more could be done now in terms of how womens football has grown and integrating that into the club as a whole in order to harness more interest

What this fan-engagement survey highlights specifically is that under Chansiri our club has been and continues to be very badly rated in terms of the transparency of the way in which the club is run, the governance of the club and how these aspects are communicated to the fan base. It is sadly not a surprise to find where are very near the bottom of the index in relation to these factors.

1 hour ago, ReginaldD said:

Is there any evidence that this is the case? Are our neighbours doing a better job of attracting minority supporters to their clubs and if so how are they going about doing this? 

Guest Hornsby
14 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Our academy teams certainly aren't under-represented in terms of BME.

When you are mentioning the likes of Kyle Walker as a shining light of the Blades academy fair enough - but that was at a time before Chansiri when our academy was truly neglected, it has certainly had more attention given to it under the current regime than it did previously. Our under 18's and under 23's are ending the season well and have been successful in the recent past within this era. 

In terms of female fans, as has been mentioned in this thread, in past nationwide surveys, our club faired quite favourably in terms of the percentage of female fans attending games. Plenty more could be done now in terms of how womens football has grown and integrating that into the club as a whole in order to harness more interest

What this fan-engagement survey highlights specifically is that under Chansiri our club has been and continues to be very badly rated in terms of the transparency of the way in which the club is run, the governance of the club and how these aspects are communicated to the fan base. It is sadly not a surprise to find where are very near the bottom of the index in relation to these factors.

After Sergiu Bus racist allegations about our club , no one would send their kid to our Academy.

And club did nowt.

3 hours ago, Hornsby said:

After Sergiu Bus racist allegations about our club , no one would send their kid to our Academy.

And club did nowt.

A sorry incident that was to do with the first team, not the academy, and you have no idea of the detail or whether the club investigated the matter.

Plenty from various backgrounds do send their kids to our academy. 

Even if you don't care about exact representation between fanbase and the population, then in the most cynical way, more bums on seats = more money to spend on the first team, and Wednesday will have several thousands seats without bums on.   We need fans, and we need more fans, and we need more fans spending money   

Traditional supporters such as white working class are generally born into football, whereas it's not the case for families of different ethnicities.  It's been years since I lived in Sheffield, but when I did I had first and second generation Pakistani and Somalian friends in my college group, who clearly loved football, clearly followed football, clearly supported a club in the English leagues and clearly didn't really know anything about Wednesday.  Those people would buy shirts of Arsenal, Man Utd, would get involved in the football discussions, and now are probably 40+ men like me with a bit of money in their pocket, and kids of their own supporting their team.

Get just 1% of this group and that probably translates to a few hundred people.

Guest Hornsby
2 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

A sorry incident that was to do with the first team, not the academy, and you have no idea of the detail or whether the club investigated the matter.

Plenty from various backgrounds do send their kids to our academy. 

Wanna bet?

On 05/05/2021 at 12:49, LondonOwl313 said:

Yes! Fans are happy when the teams do well and unhappy when they underperform. We’ve been getting worse for 4 years so everything negative is magnified x100

Nope.

You’re calling this so wrong.

I want to feel a sense of belonging to my club. I would accept Championship football if I felt the pricing structure reflected the football on show, the recruitment team was good, we ran the club like a business, we engaged with the community, we moved heaven and high earth to engage young kids and students to come watch SWFC, we communicated important club messages and info clearly and with transparency.

We don’t have to be a Premier League club to get these things right. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

On 06/05/2021 at 14:58, LondonOwl313 said:

Thing is, how do you know gay people are underrepresented in our fan base. It’s not like they’re forced to tattoo it across their forehead, I’d imagine that sexuality is fairly evenly represented.

Gender is a different issue. But most women I know have little interest in football whereas most blokes have at least a passing interest. It’s always going to be male dominated and we shouldn’t try and change that, in the same way that you can’t force blokes to like furniture shopping or whatever.

Now I KNOW You are a troll account

Owlstalk Shop