Swfc ranked 89/91 for club-fan engagement

I live in Exeter and I've said it before that their activities off the pitch, their inclusive social media (all age groups, Male and female clubs under one umbrella) and their promotion of the club is outstanding. 

Funnily enough they're also also majority owned by a supporters trust

Ashamed but not surprised to see us so low down in comparison 

• Like 2

Guest LondonOwl313

Surprised Leeds, Salford and Burnley are so low. What more do their fans want.. Leeds were top of the league, Salford are a non league club only in the football league because of their ownership and Burnley have done as well as they possibly could over a number of years

6 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Surprised Leeds, Salford and Burnley are so low. What more do their fans want.. Leeds were top of the league, Salford are a non league club only in the football league because of their ownership and Burnley have done as well as they possibly could over a number of years

It's about engagement, not success

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, brian joicey said:

surprised we're that high tbh ! 

* technically we're 90th seeing as macclesfield don't exist any more 

It is based on 2019/20, wonder where we would be for 2020/2021?  Another reason for me why its obvious that it all is down to one person, we'd have been top 10 in the play off season.  He's built nothing sadly, despite whatever good intentions he had.  

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313
1 minute ago, Manwë said:

It's about engagement, not success

Yeah but I bet we scored high in summer 2016, people would have complained about ticket prices but not a lot else.

The two are linked at the hip. Our fans are furious with Chansiri because he’s allowed us to deteriorate on the pitch first and foremost. Those other clubs owners have done a good job

9 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

All of which has nothing to do with fan engagement! 

Guest LondonOwl313
1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

All of which has nothing to do with fan engagement! 

What is fan engagement then?! Results go well, fans happy and overlooked negatives.. results go bad, fans unhappy and focus in on every negative

1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

What is fan engagement then?! Results go well, fans happy and overlooked negatives.. results go bad, fans unhappy and focus in on every negative

Which is sort of why we are where we are - plenty, myself included to an extent, sort of turned a blind eye to the overall running of our club when things were going quite well 2015-2017 - now the chickens have come home to roost big time.

If you want to know what supporter engagement is, read a little on the website which is linked in the opening post. 

7 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Yeah but I bet we scored high in summer 2016, people would have complained about ticket prices but not a lot else.

The two are linked at the hip. Our fans are furious with Chansiri because he’s allowed us to deteriorate on the pitch first and foremost. Those other clubs owners have done a good job

So the Big 6 are low on the scale, yet high in the league.

Surely that can't be.

You're conflating two unrelated topics .

We score low because we are mushrooms, our refund policy has been a shambles, fans hear from our chairman only a few times a year, usually a rant to blame someone other than himself, and our new and existing engagement meetings with the Trust have to be approved by the club before public release.

Out of interest, ignoring the league position, out of 10, how would you score Sheffield Wednesday on the matter of engagement with fans?

• Like 3

Guest LondonOwl313
Just now, Manwë said:

So the Big 6 are low on the scale, yet high in the league.

Surely that can't be.

You're conflating two unrelated topics .

We score low because we are mushrooms, our refund policy has been a shambles, fans hear from our chairman only a few times a year, usually a rant to blame someone other than himself, and our new and existing engagement meetings with the Trust have to be approved by the club before public release.

Out of interest, ignoring the league position, out of 10, how would you score Sheffield Wednesday on the matter of engagement with fans?

Most of those issues you mention are 2020/21 though whereas this survey is 2019/20. I would rate us low.. but if Chansiri was doing everything he was doing and we were 10th in the premier league I’d have a completely different view. The league position is everything really.. who cares about transfer policy if it gets results. When it doesn’t that’s when people question it

And happiness is reality minus expectations. Our reality is consistently below our expectations which makes us all very unhappy with the club. The big 6 are expected to be top 6 and competing. Most of them have reason to be unhappy because they aren’t achieving what they’d like to. Spurs never win anything, Arsenal are inconsistent and mid table, Man Utd haven’t really got close to winning the league in 8 years. The other 3 aren’t so bad and City actually score relatively highly on this survey

7 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

What a load of Carp. The only engagement I want is a steady return of 1.75 points per game. That will keep me engaged !

You aren't likely to get that while the club are surveying you to ask whether you want to continue with high prices and a push for promotion in terms of transfer business while at the same time facing transfer embargoes that they don't inform the fan base of.

There are a lot of new people we could engage with students, BAME groups, LGBTQ etc . As has been said on here before our fan base is mostly white middle aged men. Some people will say what is wrong with that. I'm not suggesting there is anything wrong with you a white middle aged man reading this supporting swfc.

But our fan base no longer reflects the Sheffield population which is only a negative thing for the club in time particularly commercially with attendances, shop sales etc.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Most of those issues you mention are 2020/21 though whereas this survey is 2019/20. I would rate us low.. but if Chansiri was doing everything he was doing and we were 10th in the premier league I’d have a completely different view. The league position is everything really..

You really will make any excuses for the chairman won't you. Genuine question, do you work for him in some capacity?

The survey started in 2018/19, where we were ranked 88th (12th in Championship).

In 2019/20 now has us as 89th, with a league finish of 16th. 

So they don't really correlate.

What would it actually take, save the scores on the football index that doesn't correlate with league position, literally dozens of anecdotal pieces of evidence posted on here, the fact that thousands of fans are still awaiting refunds, the fact that the women's team don't even have their own kit and have to use second-hand ones... what would it take for you to at least acknowledge that maybe Chansiri's stance of being a distant, unfeeling, incompetent man-child is not massively engaging for the fans of Sheffield Wednesday and the people of Sheffield? Again, a genuine question.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2