Hundreds of Man U fans on pitch protesting

3 minutes ago, Arthur Bach said:

As I stated above, the faction of fans who formed FC United of Manchester did something about the Glazers. They did something to the extent that it now shouldn't matter what the Glazers do or don't do at Manchester United as the fans walked away and formed a new club.

Thats history, its done, whether right or wrong its done.

Are people suggesting that if Man Utd secured new owenership, an ethical and traditional ethos and renewed success the FC fans would return to Old Trafford?

Not a clue what they would do, it's besides the point. This has been something going on for years.

16 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Not a clue what they would do, it's besides the point. This has been something going on for years.

How is it besides the point when FC United of Manchester is a direct result of the Glazers ownership of Manchester United?

I get the impression some people think FC is some patronising off-shoot or associated club with Manchester United.

For all intents and purposes FC is a direct rival to Manchester United and should be seen as such by the wider footballing community.

9 minutes ago, Arthur Bach said:

How is it besides the point when FC United of Manchester is a direct result of the Glazers ownership of Manchester United?

I get the impression some people think FC is some patronising off-shoot or associated club with Manchester United.

For all intents and purposes FC is a direct rival to Manchester United and should be seen as such by the wider footballing community.

I don't really know what you're arguing for or against to be honest.

6 hours ago, Arthur Bach said:

Yesterday was a complete waste of time.

The only outcome was some copper got his face shanked.

Fans literally got the biggest league match of the year in England called off. I’d say that’s a big deal. And if it prompts other fans at other clubs to do the same then maybe, just maybe, it will put enough pressure on the govt to legislate for real fan input. 

Far easier just to moan and do fizz all though. 

Jamie Carragher btw is spot on here. Some of the takes from the pundits have been laughably off the mark. About time they got called out for the clueless amateurs they are. If they are gonna get paid for their input at least do some basic research. 

• Like 2

Have to admire Carragher there to be fair. I do think the genie is out of the bottle when it comes to football and the loss of club identity in the community but its really a lot of fun to see this going on. In order for it work the fans of more clubs need to mobilize and get more games called off.

As COVID restrictions loosen it would be nice to see mass protest across the PL and EPL by fans to bring the game to a halt.

19 hours ago, Arthur Bach said:

Are people suggesting that if Man Utd secured new owenership, an ethical and traditional ethos and renewed success the FC fans would return to Old Trafford?

I don't think they would, no.

FC United was a move against modern football as much as anything else. They have a club charter, a purpose to exist, which is too contradictory to Manchester United regardless of who the owners are. I also don't think you can take away the sense of ownership, purpose and belonging that I know many involved with FC United have cited and celebrated compared to supporting Man U. 

2 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

I don't think they would, no.

FC United was a move against modern football as much as anything else. They have a club charter, a purpose to exist, which is too contradictory to Manchester United regardless of who the owners are. I also don't think you can take away the sense of ownership, purpose and belonging that I know many involved with FC United have cited and celebrated compared to supporting Man U. 

Further to that, this is lifted directly from FC United's website;

"'The club set up in protest to Malcolm Glazer's takeover of Manchester United' is a statement often used to describe FC United. But while there is no doubt that FC would not have happened without the American invasion, it was the catalyst, the final straw, but not the sole reason.

The material theft of a Manchester institution, forcibly taken from the people of Manchester, was the tip of a pyramid of destruction, with changing kick off times for the benefit of television, soulless all-seater stadia full of 'new' supporters intent to sit back and watch rather than partake in the occasion, heavy handed stewarding and ridiculously priced tickets propping it all up.

By May 2005 some supporters had had enough. The failure to prevent Glazer and repeat the successful repulsion of Rupert Murdoch in 1998 resurrected a 'last resort' idea from that previous campaign and the FC United wheels were put in motion. A group of individuals determined to continue the fight formed a steering committee and FC United of Manchester was delivered.

Critics of the idea argued that if supporters were disgruntled with the Premiership then why didn't they go and support other local cash-strapped clubs instead of setting up their own? But that wouldn't have been theirs would it? It wouldn't have been United and it wouldn't have been right to takeover another club after they had just been taken over themselves. Nor could they drift off in various directions and be lost to each other and maybe football forever. They wanted to maintain the momentum of the protest, to stick together, to sing United songs, to reminisce and bring back the good bits of the good old days. They wanted Our Club, Our Rules and they got just that, a member owned democratic, not-for-profit organisation created by Manchester United fans. A club accessible to all of the Greater Manchester community, dedicated to encouraging participation of youth whether it be playing or supporting and to providing affordable football for all."

There's our answer to that, quite firmly. Sounds like a few more United fans should take another look.

I don't understand how FC United of Manchester can be described as a protest.

1. A protest is almost always exclusively performed with a particular result in mind against those being protested about. As I stated above, once FC United of Manchester was formed the activities of Man Utd shouldn't be any of their concern.

2. FC United of Manchester was formed within the same footballing pyramid as Manchester United and they adhere to the same rules and obligations. From there on they should be seen as rivals.

Its almost like FC are looking for absorbtion in the future.

10 minutes ago, Arthur Bach said:

1. A protest is almost always exclusively performed with a particular result in mind against those being protested about. As I stated above, once FC United of Manchester was formed the activities of Man Utd shouldn't be any of their concern.

2. FC United of Manchester was formed within the same footballing pyramid as Manchester United and they adhere to the same rules and obligations. From there on they should be seen as rivals.

That opening sentence about being a protest is addressing a misconception. The misconception that they are only a protest against the Glazers. That's not how the club see themselves.

I also don't know how you can take the rest of that statement as an intention to be absorbed back into Manchester United later. Their reason for existence very specifically contradicts the existence of Manchester United whether the Glazers are there or not. FC United's only relationship with Manchester United is that former support for MUFC is a unifying thread among their support, but apart from that, they are, enjoy being and are proud to be their own club on their own path. 

Edited by sheffield_dave

13 minutes ago, Arthur Bach said:

If you go back to your first post in this thread and if there was the ability to delete it, I would have if I was you.

You came in, all guns blazing, that they are only protesting about their present position.

They never were, they protested through the good years and they have never stopped.

The more hardcore set up a separate club. The rest have never stopped.

Look at the numbers in my above post.

Carragher got your type last night perfectly.

I never said they were protesting solely about their present situation.

What I said was that they were using the Glazers as an excuse to protest, a scenario that wouldn't be a concern if they were still winning trophies. The source of funds, ethical treatment and various other dubious affairs in football mean nothing to your average fan.

Absolutely nothing.

My remarks were also specifically about the jaunt on the pitch yesterday that I suspect had little to do with any broader protest or disillusionment. The supporters and 'fans' of Manchester United all of a sudden have a conscience it seems.

They actually don't have a clue what they are protesting about. Are they wanting to turn the clock back? How far?

What are Manchester United fans, individually, prepared to sacrifice in order to get what they want? Would they accept a new owner if it made them the new Everton or Newcastle?

Sunday was a farce and only played into the owners hands.

10 hours ago, Arthur Bach said:

I never said they were protesting solely about their present situation.

What I said was that they were using the Glazers as an excuse to protest, a scenario that wouldn't be a concern if they were still winning trophies. The source of funds, ethical treatment and various other dubious affairs in football mean nothing to your average fan.

Absolutely nothing.

My remarks were also specifically about the jaunt on the pitch yesterday that I suspect had little to do with any broader protest or disillusionment. The supporters and 'fans' of Manchester United all of a sudden have a conscience it seems.

They actually don't have a clue what they are protesting about. Are they wanting to turn the clock back? How far?

What are Manchester United fans, individually, prepared to sacrifice in order to get what they want? Would they accept a new owner if it made them the new Everton or Newcastle?

Sunday was a farce and only played into the owners hands.

An owner that doesn’t take money out would be a start. The club makes so much money itself that it doesn’t need a benefactor. There is zero prospect of it becoming an Everton or Newcastle simply because MUFC is in a different universe in terms of financial clout. 

The Glazer ownership has cost the club over a billion quid. In the meantime, their cross city rivals have surpassed them on nearly every front. 

The parasites quite simply have to go.

1 hour ago, Arthur Bach said:

Not sure what that has to do with anything.

If he was being transported in a horse drawn golden carriage you'd moan he was a show off.

It’s the octopus attached to the back of his head I’m more worried about. 

Not sure saying nothing is the best approach either.