Why I could never be a football manager

Besides lack of ability and all the other good reasons...

This game would be over after 10 minutes. Watford's goal is as a result of one or their player being in an offside position. It he isn't there, Tom Lees doesn't stick a desperate leg out and put it in. If I'm in charge and that goal's given, I'm commanding my players to walk off the pitch and abandon the game. I can't stand the cheating that allows that goal to stand.

I'd never make it as the boss.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, RockieOwl said:

It's not cheating. I'm fairly sure by the letter of the law it is not offside.

But the rule is wrong. And shows that the rules are written by idiots who haven't a clue.

Really? If he’s offside and interfering with play, like making our player slide to intercept a pass meant for him that he’s trying to get on end of, then he’s offside? Or has the rule changed? 

20 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Really? If he’s offside and interfering with play, like making our player slide to intercept a pass meant for him that he’s trying to get on end of, then he’s offside? Or has the rule changed? 

A smart defender would know he was offside and not panic. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, flo said:

A smart defender would know he was offside and not panic. 

A smart poster would realise there's no way for Tom Lees to discern to within a couple of feet accuracy where exactly an attacking player on his blind side is standing at the exact tenth of a second the ball is played :rolleyes:

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

A smart poster would realise there's no way for Tom Lees to discern to within a couple of feet accuracy where exactly an attacking player on his blind side is standing at the exact tenth of a second the ball is played :rolleyes:

Oh I've not even seen it. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, MRGRIM said:

The ball is crossed to a player who is offside. Why isn't the flagged raised straight away?

Simple as that for me

They showed this on another angle - the flag was raised straight away. It was already in the air before the ball reached Lees. Ref making it up as he goes along.

1 minute ago, Emerson Thome said:

They showed this on another angle - the flag was raised straight away. It was already in the air before the ball reached Lees. Ref making it up as he goes along.

Could it be argued that Lees sees the flag out of the corner of his eye and, if you'd pardon the pun, takes his eyes off the ball?

Don't mind losing, but this feels like an unambiguous case to a goal being illegally given. No interpretation of the rules needed, the player standing in the offside position is interfering in play by forcing the defender to commit a lunge he would not make were that player not there. That goal has lost us the game. 

It feels an awful lot like cheating.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Philb125 said:

Changed years ago. The interfering part of the rule is really sht. Ipswich scored a similar goal against us at Hillsborough about 3 years ago and the player was more interfering then but was still given. Interfering is only when touching the ball or actually challenging for the ball. It used to be just touching the ball but at least they changed that bit.

Don't shoot the messenger I think the rule is rubbish but the ref applied the law correctly and noone will bat an eyelid unless a top team in the champions league or world cup are hard done by by the stupidity of it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RockieOwl said:

Changed years ago. The interfering part of the rule is really sht. Ipswich scored a similar goal against us at Hillsborough about 3 years ago and the player was more interfering then but was still given. Interfering is only when touching the ball or actually challenging for the ball. It used to be just touching the ball but at least they changed that bit.

Don't shoot the messenger I think the rule is rubbish but the ref applied the law correctly and noone will bat an eyelid unless a top team in the champions league or world cup are hard done by by the stupidity of it

He’s challenging for it though. He’s right behind Lees following the ball to tap it in. Lees is only there because she’s tracked him there, if he’s not challenging Lees isn’t there? 

4 minutes ago, RockieOwl said:

20210402_172904.thumb.jpg.50ced79a029e2e4c3dcf3cd3e3e105ec.jpg

Not having a go, and I appreciate there's interpretation here, but I would argue he's challenging Lees for that ball (evidenced by him trying to kick in the cross) and that clearly has an impact on the opponent.

Officials miss offside all the time, which sucks but to err is human. In this instance, absolutely every official and player is in agreement that the player was in an offside position, everyone recognised it at the time. 

By my reckoning and interpretation of the rules above, the referee has failed to uphold them... not due to being incapable of telling if a player is a stud's length off (to err is human), but to fail to apply to rules correctly.

Again, to be reyt boring: it's cheating. Unintentional cheating I'm sure, but cheating nonetheless.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Okay, I've watched this back - my memory cheated a little bit, as the ball reached Lees he was just starting to raise his flag. None of the camera angles show the goal and the lino simultaneously, but from this angle you can see the ball has just hit the net and the flag is already up. So he kind of put the flag up as Lees was kicking the ball.

Screenshot 2021-04-02 at 13.33.02.png

8 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

20210402_172904.thumb.jpg.50ced79a029e2e4c3dcf3cd3e3e105ec.jpg

Agreed. If you looked up "clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this impacts on an opponent" then this is the picture you would see in the rule book....

Chris Kavanagh has had a shocker. Not just got the decision wrong, but overruled his linesman who had already got the decision right.

Screenshot 2021-04-02 at 13.39.25.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Besides lack of ability and all the other good reasons...

This game would be over after 10 minutes. Watford's goal is as a result of one or their player being in an offside position. It he isn't there, Tom Lees doesn't stick a desperate leg out and put it in. If I'm in charge and that goal's given, I'm commanding my players to walk off the pitch and abandon the game. I can't stand the cheating that allows that goal to stand.

I'd never make it as the boss.

Who has cheated?