1980's club crests

22 hours ago, Onge said:

We lost the "rights" to Ozzie the Owl in noughties and so the club devised Barney as the new mascot. Lee Stafford eventually sorted it legally so now we have them both. 

Sad the amount of flack Lee got. Stepped in on a shoe-string budget, and genuinely gave it a go, both on the operations and fan engagement front. Imagine what he could've gotten done with even a fraction of what DC spunked down the drain. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, bobness said:

Sad the amount of flack Lee got. Stepped in on a shoe-string budget, and genuinely gave it a go, both on the operations and fan engagement front. Imagine what he could've gotten done with even a fraction of what DC spunked down the drain. 

Always thought he should have been sounded out for an advisory role, would have been been useful bridge between the fans and DC.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

There was some controversy around local businesses using the 70s owl (snooker hall in hillsborough being one) and i think the club tried to stop them using it but as part of that case found that they had little/no rights over the usage. hence the invention of the new badge.

Arsenal had the same issue a number of years back when they went from their old gun badge to their new variant. They tried to shutdown all the market stalls around the ground selling hooky branded gear but found out that either - they hadnt properly TMd the sysmbol, OR that because they hadnt enforced it for a number of years theyd lost the right to enforce it going forward. 

image.png.979eaf8076871cfd9e1eed66f78cb715.png

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/gunners-uturn-over-cannon-6318414.html

• Like 2

From memory, I thought we couldn't get the owl, as a stand alone icon, trademarked. I'm sure it was because effectively it was just a drawing/image, that was usable on a wider scope than just us. I seemed to remember that as a main reason for it then being put in a shield. This helped it become trademarketable asset, identifiable as ours. As if drawn within a shield and with swfc on, it is obviously refering to us. I could be wrong and it was probably just us being slow/too late on the uptake as usual. Which I think was the issue when have to contest the WAWAW one. 

Of course as fans it's obviously iconic and ours. In fact, I've still got that as my swfc tattoo, which people recognise straight off when on holiday. 

• Like 1

On 18/01/2021 at 16:27, splan80 said:

Of course as fans it's obviously iconic and ours. In fact, I've still got that as my swfc tattoo, which people recognise straight off when on holiday.

What do you mean by still? Or is it one of those tattoos which wash off?

lol

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, bobness said:

What do you mean by still? Or is it one of those tattoos which wash off?

lol

As in not covered it up with the new crest. (or anything else or had it removed etc) which was obviously what it meant. But clever well done. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, splan80 said:

As in not covered it up with the new crest. (or anything else or had it removed etc) which was obviously what it meant. But clever well done. 

Covering up or removing the tattoo just because DC changed the club crest would be borderline mental. The thought hadn't even occurred to me.

38 minutes ago, bobness said:

Covering up or removing the tattoo just because DC changed the club crest would be borderline mental. The thought hadn't even occurred to me.

Neither would I . Hence me saying I still have my original wednesday tattoos and forever will. 

You asked what I meant, while being cheeky about it. I provided context. I've never said I thought about it, merely pointing out I have a tattoo of the owl in question, which still gets recognised, but go for it and enjoy yourself. 😂

Just now, splan80 said:

Neither would I . Hence me saying I still have my original wednesday tattoos and forever will. 

You asked what I meant, while being cheeky about it. I provided context. I've never said I thought about it, merely pointing out I have a tattoo of the owl in question, which still gets recognised, but go for it and enjoy yourself. 😂

I'm starting to wonder if this tattoo even exists...

lol