The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

Chansiri didn’t go out and sign Jordan Rhodes It’s likely he wouldn’t even have known who he was. He was part of an influx of players who might have been relevant 5 years previously, but had little to do with how football was heading. When Rhodes was to the fore, along with many of our other signings, DC probably hadn’t even considered the idea of owning a football club. What is more surprising, is that those who were advising the chairman, presumably football people, could be so out of touch with what was happening in football. More worryingly still, those people must still have influence, hence the ridiculous appointment of Pulis. For me, there is still a very real concern that they will dig up another name from the past Another out of touch dinosaur

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, d-man said:

He has ploughed millions upon millions into the club with no sign of a return! I feel that gives him the right to make calls that we may not all like but it doesn’t mean he deserves the dogs abuse he gets!

he has listened to the fans in the past one example the Jordan Rhodes signing and that has been a total bust so we are all accountable for the circumstances it’s just he takes the brunt being the head of the business with others backing away and jumping to the negative gang!

it’s always easy to criticise, it’s a lot harder to stay positive and create the atmosphere that we all know made us Wednesday fans in the first place!

You are very generous, I could say generous to a fault.

You are perfectly correct DC has ploughed money in. I can excuse the first seasons largess to the players, buying success was worth a try.  It failed but it was a close run thing. We then went on a further spending spree the following year, ok we were close the first year so maybe a bit more investment would do the trick. The fault there was that we didn't strengthen in the positions that needed strengthening, we took a scattergun approach and failed again.

We didn't take the correct action at that stage and have gone from bad to worse ever since. We are now in a worse position than when DC took over, No money, very poor squad, no manager, in breach of EFL regulations, spending monitored by EFL, 6 point penalty for breach of P and S rules, no longer owners of our ground. I could go on. 

We have a new video screen, the pitch has been relaid but looks like it needs doing again and we have digital advertising round the pitch. I can't think of any other areas of improvement particularly.

Yes the fans wanted Rhodes but fans always want things, that doesn't mean we should get them. A proper football man would have looked at Rodes and decided there were better options.

We need proper football people in charge ones, who bleed football. That might mean DC selling up or it might be that he brings in a proper director of footbal who is employed by the club and who can put us on the right path. He's tried advisors but that hasn't worked and I'm not convinced they have DCs' interests at heart. They may have but there is a potential conflict of interest that is of concern.

I don't bear any ill will towards DC but unless something changes we will continue downwards and get relegated. The consequences of that are hard to calculate.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Seriously? Of course I was happy when we signed Rhodes.

But I also at the time had faith in the chairman that it wouldn’t cause us any issues down the line with FFP. It did. Like a lot of the spending did. We were told we didn’t have to worry about FFP because we had friends. 

Therefore why did we end up with two successive embargo’s, a points deduction and not owning the ground? 

It suits your agenda to spout it. We're all in the same boat, what good does it do being bitter all the time? 

6 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

A sensible business man doesn’t give into the fans and spunk 10 million pounds on a forward when we had 6 at the club already. I’d love us to go sign a whole new squad right now, doesn’t mean it’s possible does it! 

Fans don’t have the responsibility, the chairman has. If the fans were privy to the financial side of things - we’d probably have said best to avoid Rhodes. 

I don’t understand why this is so hard for some people to get. It’s like your kid wanting another pack of fruit pastilles when he already had one pack an hour ago. Just because he wants one doesn’t mean you should give it him, as a sensible adult you realise another pack would be bad for his teeth and could send him hyper ffs. 

If he was prudent and thinking soley business he would have jumped ship when we lost to Huddersfield on penalties because he has spunked more than 10 million on this club so far with no signs of a return!

he was merely trying to galvanise the squad with a player that has/had a PROVEN goal scoring record in the division and that the fans backed whole heartedly at the start! 

now because it hasn’t worked he has suddenly spunked a load of money at a pack of fruit pastels thinking he was buying a pack of after eights!!

Like i say people abdicate any responsibility when things go wrong, but you know as well as I do we all wanted Jordan Rhodes!

2 minutes ago, d-man said:

If he was prudent and thinking soley business he would have jumped ship when we lost to Huddersfield on penalties because he has spunked more than 10 million on this club so far with no signs of a return!

he was merely trying to galvanise the squad with a player that has/had a PROVEN goal scoring record in the division and that the fans backed whole heartedly at the start! 

now because it hasn’t worked he has suddenly spunked a load of money at a pack of fruit pastels thinking he was buying a pack of after eights!!

Like i say people abdicate any responsibility when things go wrong, but you know as well as I do we all wanted Jordan Rhodes!

Signing players is not the responsibility of the fans. 

It is the responsibility of the owner. Signings are made based on club finances - something fans are not involved with. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigash_swfc said:

It suits your agenda to spout it. We're all in the same boat, what good does it do being bitter all the time? 

You can't blame the fans for signing Jordon Rhodes.  I know Chansiri did due to a social media frenzy.  But what does this actually mean?  Presumably that there were 'fans' on twitter, instagram, facebook badgering him to sign Rhodes.  

But how many fans were there really?  Ironically, Pulis answered a question at the Oxford Union where he said that this type of thing could be stirred up by say six people and actually only involve about twenty.

Of the fans that were "advising" him to sign Rhodes how many games do they attend?  How many times had they watched Jordon Rhodes live?  Did they have any scouting experience?

There are so many questions you would want answers to before ploughing the best part of 10m into signing a player.

Basically, it was just an excuse for a really poor signing.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, d-man said:

I want lots of things.

They include:

1.  A nice cottage by the Suffolk Coast as a second home

2.  A rolls royce phantom drophead coupe

3.  4 new pairs of hand made shoes

4.  One of those Barbour beacon sports jackets.

The list goes on.

However, i would be bankrupt if I acquired all of the above, so I havent.

The big problem with DC is he has spent money we were not allowed to spend, hence why the last 30 months has been financial chaos including transfer bans, points deductions, unpaid wages etc etc.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, d-man said:

So you didn’t want Jordan Rhodes then? You saying the fan base wasn’t crying out for him?

For what it's worth, although I crossed everything, hoped for the best, and tried to convince myself that all would work out fine once Rhodes had signed, I pointed out a fair few times beforehand that Hooper had a better goal ratio at this level, and asked for a bit of clarification as to why some saw him as the answer to our prayers when it wasn't immediately obvious why we needed him...

On 27/11/2016 at 19:53, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

This is a genuine question, as I've only really seen Jordan Rhodes when he's played against us: is he better than Gary Hooper? And if so, what makes him a better player?

As far as I'm aware, they're both 'finishers' rather than the type of forwards who offer much more to a team such as creativity, hold-up play etc. If that's the case, then Hooper has proven to be the more deadly striker at this level...

Hooper's minutes per goal ratios in his last three seasons at Championship level:

158' - last season with us
122' - 14/15 season with Norwich
144' - 09/10 season with Scunthorpe

Rhodes' minutes per goal ratios in his last three seasons at Championship level:

209' - last season with Blackburn and Middlesbrough
167' - 14/15 season with Blackburn
161' - 13/14 season with Blackburn

As I say, however, I might be doing Rhodes a massive disservice. Where would people see him slotting into our team?

I wasn't the only one who questioned his signing, either.

Of course, even if we'd all been sucking each other off at the prospect of Rhodes' signing, it matters not one jot. We're football fans: of course we want our chairman to spend money on players!

What we don't want him to do is to spend to such an extent that breaching P&S rules becomes inevitable; refuse to sell any players to redress the balance; sell the stadium to himself in such a cack-handed manner that he incurs a points deduction; and run our club into the ground. 

Not being party to all the inner workings of our club, we couldn't really comment on the finer financial details, and had no choice other than to place our trust in the man who told us not to worry about P&S rules, as we have 'friends'.

• Like 4

Just now, York_Owl said:

You can't blame the fans for signing Jordon Rhodes.  I know Chansiri did due to a social media frenzy.  But what does this actually mean?  Presumably that there were 'fans' on twitter, instagram, facebook badgering him to sign Rhodes.  

But how many fans were there really?  Ironically, Pulis answered a question at the Oxford Union where he said that this type of thing could be stirred up by say six people and actually only involve about twenty.

Of the fans that were "advising" him to sign Rhodes how many games do they attend?  How many times had they watched Jordon Rhodes live?  Did they have any scouting experience?

There are so many questions you would want answers to before ploughing the best part of 10m into signing a player.

Basically, it was just an excuse for a really poor signing.

Say it louder for those at the back mate. 

I personally don’t remember taking part in a survey for fans on whether the club should sign Jordan Rhodes or not. 

A few people shouting sign Rhodes on Twitter is not representative of the whole fanbase. And if that was the reason for signing Rhodes, why on earth is a clubs recruitment strategy based on what a few people are saying on social media?! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, prowl said:

You are very generous, I could say generous to a fault.

You are perfectly correct DC has ploughed money in. I can excuse the first seasons largess to the players, buying success was worth a try.  It failed but it was a close run thing. We then went on a further spending spree the following year, ok we were close the first year so maybe a bit more investment would do the trick. The fault there was that we didn't strengthen in the positions that needed strengthening, we took a scattergun approach and failed again.

We didn't take the correct action at that stage and have gone from bad to worse ever since. We are now in a worse position than when DC took over, No money, very poor squad, no manager, in breach of EFL regulations, spending monitored by EFL, 6 point penalty for breach of P and S rules, no longer owners of our ground. I could go on. 

We have a new video screen, the pitch has been relaid but looks like it needs doing again and we have digital advertising round the pitch. I can't think of any other areas of improvement particularly.

Yes the fans wanted Rhodes but fans always want things, that doesn't mean we should get them. A proper football man would have looked at Rodes and decided there were better options.

We need proper football people in charge ones, who bleed football. That might mean DC selling up or it might be that he brings in a proper director of footbal who is employed by the club and who can put us on the right path. He's tried advisors but that hasn't worked and I'm not convinced they have DCs' interests at heart. They may have but there is a potential conflict of interest that is of concern.

I don't bear any ill will towards DC but unless something changes we will continue downwards and get relegated. The consequences of that are hard to calculate.

Everything he has done has been for the good of the club without taking into consideration the FFP gamble which hasn’t paid off due to our inability to win the big games when it counts!

I don’t believe he will take us backwards I believe he will take us forward once all this negativity and trolling stops and we pull together!

he was god worshipped when he first arrived and has delivered on his promises up to now, bar getting us in the premiership within the first or second season!

this managerial appointment is pivotal in how we move forward and this transfer window should give the manager the opportunity to make his Mark! I think it’s sensible DC is taking his time and hope he gets the right man!

WAWAW

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I personally don’t remember taking part in a survey for fans on whether the club should sign Jordan Rhodes or not. 

A few people shouting sign Rhodes on Twitter is not representative of the whole fanbase. And if that was the reason for signing Rhodes, why on earth is a clubs recruitment strategy based on what a few people are saying on social media?! 

Suppose no one is asking for Paul Cook either 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

I want lots of things.

They include:

1.  A nice cottage by the Suffolk Coast as a second home

2.  A rolls royce phantom drophead coupe

3.  4 new pairs of hand made shoes

4.  One of those Barbour beacon sports jackets.

The list goes on.

However, i would be bankrupt if I acquired all of the above, so I havent.

The big problem with DC is he has spent money we were not allowed to spend, hence why the last 30 months has been financial chaos including transfer bans, points deductions, unpaid wages etc etc.

PM me about that Rolls Royce 😏

D man. I was interested in your posts . You seem to have been a member of Owlstalk  since 2009 but you appear to have only started posting recently. Nice to hear from you and welcome.

You certainly seemed motivated to defend DC, every one of your posts relates to that subject. Never mind, if that's what it takes for you to join in, so be it.

Please feel free to give your views on a range of issues.

29 minutes ago, d-man said:

So you didn’t want Jordan Rhodes then? You saying the fan base wasn’t crying out for him?

and all clubs gamble in that way look at wolves with Neves! They would have been royally screwed if they didn’t get up! So nothing new in that statement!

To be fair most fans wouldnt shut up about him since he scored 4 in league 1 against us. Wolves were always going up, looking at their squad pre season there wasnt any doubt they would. 

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Exactly, there was no survey and I bet most fans weren't aware that you could get the chairman's ear via social media.  I certainly wasn't.

Despite all that I don't watch enough of Wednesday and I'm not even sure I have seen Rhodes play live prior to signing (I didn't go to the Huddersfield 4-4 game for example ) to give a qualified opinion and that's assuming I have an eye for a player in the first place.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, d-man said:

Everything he has done has been for the good of the club without taking into consideration the FFP gamble which hasn’t paid off due to our inability to win the big games when it counts!

I don’t believe he will take us backwards I believe he will take us forward once all this negativity and trolling stops and we pull together!

he was god worshipped when he first arrived and has delivered on his promises up to now, bar getting us in the premiership within the first or second season!

this managerial appointment is pivotal in how we move forward and this transfer window should give the manager the opportunity to make his Mark! I think it’s sensible DC is taking his time and hope he gets the right man!

WAWAW

It wasn’t a gamble re FFP, it was rule breaking.

I could gamble in getting richer by robbing my neighbour.  I don’t rob my neighbour as it is illegal . 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I’d love Paul Cook mate. 

What’s your point? As a fan that’s my opinion. At the end of the day it’s up to the chairman. Let’s hope he gets the next appointment right. 

That he tried to please fans to his own detriment! 

that’s my point he could just sell us down the river but in my opinion he has a bond with the club and wants to make it successful and he is getting stick that is unjustified in my opinion 

• Like 1