Formation moving forward

We played a Diamond for the first 60 minutes or so.

Luongo sat at the base, and played as a half back, dropping back into the back three when we had possession, to allow Harris and Odubajo to get high and essentially play as wing backs.

Kachunga played the No.10 position, but with a lot of freedom, and given that Reach often exploited space in the right sided half space, Kachunga seemed to spend a lot of time within the opposite half space. 

However, when Birmingham switched to two up front, Monk immediately switched to a traditional 4-4-2. Kachunga moved to the left wing, Reach to right, and Luongo stepped into midfield, as Birmingham no longer utilised a No.10 for him to mark (Crowley was substituted).

For the final five minutes, following Pelupessy's introduction, we switched to 4-5-1, with Joey sitting, and Marriott playing the lone forward role.

Going forward, I suspect we'll revert back to a 3-4-1-2 once we get bodies back in the central defensive areas. However, switiching to the diamond, allows us to keep 90% of the roles very similar to our preferred system, with only Luongo's role changing significantly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, new zealand owl said:

inverted cheesecake at home to Brentford? Bring it on

Fully expect a fluid flan against luton though 

I think a back 4 against Brentford should be employed with Luongo just in front of them 4141. There front three of Canos Toney Mbwemo are as good as we will face so cant risk being left 3 on 3 there. 

Going forward we should be fluid, were not good enough to get teams to worry about us, so we have to play whatever will suit us best to get points in each game that being 3412 442 451 whatever it may be.

I still don't know what the formation was at the weekend, but I'm not bothered TBH. As long as we are winning, can play goalie wag for me. 

What I did notice was some fluidity going forward that I'd not seen before, Reach had a good game and popped up in space across the pitch. I've been a critic of his, but he started to look back to his old self, which is good news. 

Edited by striker

We can't pick one system and stick with it anymore because (unless you are the best team by a distance) they can all be unpicked with a bit of planning by the opposition.

If we play this way against Brentford their analysts will have done loads of work on where they can overload us. We actually played out from the back on Saturday presumably because we knew that Birmingham's press wasn't very good. Brentford won't allow this so we will be playing a longer game I would imagine.

I'm not a huge admirer of Monk tactically but fair play to the manager on Saturday.

Looking for him to solve our chronic problems at home now.

Edited by Nero

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

We have far too many centre backs for us to play any other system, unless it’s a one off. Six experienced centre backs, not even top flight clubs would have that many

Lees looked to me like a bad thigh or groin injury. Could be a while, say 2 months 

Iorfa , hamstring, hopefully a couple of weeks.

Dunkley , who knows, but won’t be 100% match fit for say 6 weeks 

Can’t play Van Aken and Borner in same back 3

Shaw, ankle ligaments, who knows.

All of a sudden we are struggling to put 3 on the pitch and might be for a while.

Monk did say tactics for Saturday were for one game but I expect to see against Brentford