Formation moving forward

Anyone who thinks Reach played wide left in a four man midfield today has got their eyes painted on. He played centre mid with Bannan.

Luongo played a floating role between defence and midfield. The two wide men were wingbacks.

Kachunga (who worked hard but didn't really affect the game) interchanged with Windass behind Paterson. 

Call the formation whatever you want to, whatever makes people happy. Some people are desperate for 442 even though no one really plays it any more. We played with fluidity and movement in that first half, it was good to watch. 

Edited by Adem Poric
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Adem Poric said:

Anyone who thinks Reach played wide left in a four man midfield today has got their eyes painted on. He played centre mid with Bannan.

Luongo played a floating role between defence and midfield. The two wide men were wingbacks.

Kachunga (who worked hard but didn't really affect the game) interchanged with Windass behind Paterson. 

Call the formation whatever you want to, whatever makes people happy. Some people are desperate for 442 even though no one really plays it any more. We played with fluidity and movement in that first half, it was good to watch. 

Yeah strange that

Monk said in his post-match interview

"Considering entering this international break with a lot of injuries defensively, having to work tactically a little bit different throughout the international period for this one particular game.."

Sounds like it was just cus of injuries, might be switching back to the back 3 next week.

edit: or whenever Iorfa and Lees are back

Edited by S6ToBerlin
  • Like 2

We have the issue of having a few good centre backs now so playing with 3 seems to be the most likely plan really.

I guess the following will be Monk’s plan when everyone is fit.
But I’d say there’s 3 areas up for debate,  the 3rd CB, RWB and ST 

Dawson 

Iorfa    
Flint    

Van Aken / Lees
Odubajo  / Harris
Luongo  
Bannan  

Reach 

Brown

Paterson  
Marriott / Windass 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Dawson 

Flint                   van Aken

Luongo

Odubajo                                   Harris

Reach              Bannan

Kachunga   

Paterson             Windass

Doesn't look like 4-4-2 to me

This is how we set up. Without ball Kachunga dropped into make a back 3 wingbacks raising it to 5. Going forward we went down to 2 at back during periods of pressure with Luongo and wingbacks pushing up to join midfield. Windasss, Patterson and Kachunga all tracked back and did share of defending.as very fluid formation. It did work.

• Like 1

That's the problem watching it on TV. I think it's much easier to pick out a formation watching live in the ground.

Also, those average position maps very rarely show anything that looks like 442.

A few seasons ago, Kieren Lee was often our furthest forward player on that basis

3 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Dawson 

Flint                   van Aken

Luongo

Odubajo                                   Harris

Reach              Bannan

Kachunga   

Paterson             Windass

Doesn't look like 4-4-2 to me

4579762.png

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, Adem Poric said:

It was good football in first hour. Then we got nervous.

I thought it worked because it gave us more security out wide when we dropped into the 442 to defend , no big holes behind wingbacks.

Also we had more fluidity going forward and the formation certainly confused Brum 

Think we might see it again against Brentford 

Whatever anyone wants to label it, it was a fine and fluid formation that capitalised on their tendency to like to break out from the back with Friend making long central runs into our last third.

With the slow Clayton recycling the ball, it was like watching a typical Karanka Boro side but in blue shirts.

6 hours ago, oldishowl said:

I thought it worked because it gave us more security out wide when we dropped into the 442 to defend , no big holes behind wingbacks.

Also we had more fluidity going forward and the formation certainly confused Brum 

Think we might see it again against Brentford 

Do Brentford play a 4-3-3? It looked that way this weekend, with two wide players either side of Toney

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Do Brentford play a 4-3-3? It looked that way this weekend, with two wide players either side of Toney

Thought they always play a 433.

Which is why  I would try the formation again .

It’s wasn’t a great deal different formation wise from how Carlos used to play.

When we had the ball he used to pull Bannan and Wallace more central, try and get the full backs into the space they left and drop Hutch into the back to cover. Exactly what we were doing yesterday.

Carlos however was obviously more about possession and we need to improve that aspect 

1 minute ago, oldishowl said:

Thought they always play a 433.

Which is why  I would try the formation again .

It’s wasn’t a great deal different formation wise from how Carlos used to play.

When we had the ball he used to pull Bannan and Wallace more central, try and get the full backs into the space they left and drop Hutch into the back to cover. Exactly what we were doing yesterday.

Carlos however was obviously more about possession and we need to improve that aspect 

Yes I’d tend to agree, but we definitely need to look after the ball better. Yesterday, with Luongo acting as a centre back, and Brown missing, it was more difficult, but with the midfield three we have, there should be more emphasis on keeping possession, especially if we don’t have the players to counter attack

Whatever formation it was it worked because we got 3 much needed points. We’ve got a lot of centre-backs so I suspect we’ll play 3 at the back more often than not.

Still not convinced with our options at full/wing back but sorting out all our problems was never going to happen in this window for a variety of reasons.