Formation moving forward

So it looks like we finally played the 4-4-2 a lot of us have been calling for, and it seemed to work excellently. For me that was our best performance so far this season, really dominated the midfield and the backline looked solid even with one man less. 

The question is, did we only play this formation because of our CB injuries, or did Monk think we didn't have the right players for it before? Or was it a tactical decision, chosen specifically to combat how this Birmingham team were set up?

Will be interesting to see how we'll set up moving forward, whether we'll keep with the 4-4-2 or revert back to a back 3. What would you lot like to see?

5 minutes ago, S6ToBerlin said:

Or was it a tactical decision, chosen specifically to combat how this Birmingham team were set up?

Will be interesting to see how we'll set up moving forward, whether we'll keep with the 4-4-2 or revert back to a back 3. What would you lot like to see?

I think it was tactical. Before the pandemic he switched formations quite regularly, i.e. from 4-5-1 to 4-4-2 away at Boro, and even trying 3-5-2 at Luton. When the season restarted in the summer there were so many games packed into a short space of time, so just stuck with the 3-5-2 for simplicity.

But with players like Kachunga, Windass, Reach, Harris, Paterson etc. that can play multiple positions, I think we'll see us change formations more often now, based on the gameplan on the day.

I'd like to see us change tactics more in the actual match though. We rarely seem to do this, and I've never seen us try a 3-4-3 in the games where we are chasing a goal. Today we switched to a 4-5-1 right at the end, in injury time. But I don't remember Monk changing tactics to good effect in the middle of a match.

12 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

That was 3-5-2 wasn’t it?

Nope, back 4 of Odubajo, Flint, JVA and Harris. Luongo did sometimes drop back into the backline but only when we were in posession, with Harris and Odubajo moving up the pitch. Defensively we were lining up as a back 4.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Not claiming I can... other than a back 4 I'm not sure what that really had in common with a 4-4-2 though... can you?

Dawson

Odubajo       Flint          JVA         Harris

Kachunga    Luongo    Bannan     Reach

Paterson    Windass        

Looks like 4-4-2 to me.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, S6ToBerlin said:

Dawson

Odubajo       Flint          JVA         Harris

Kachunga    Luongo    Bannan     Reach

Paterson    Windass        

Looks like 4-4-2 to me.

Well sure it looks like a 4-4-2 if you put it like that, but neither Reach nor Kachunga played there did they?

1 minute ago, S6ToBerlin said:

image.png.862070f232cf5f754aa7c7be6308d221.png

Google seems to agree, even if they did get Kachunga and Reach switched

Sure, if you put it like that it's 4-4-2, but neither Reach nor Kachunga were positioned there were they?

Dawson 

Flint                   van Aken

Luongo

Odubajo                                   Harris

Reach              Bannan

Kachunga   

Paterson             Windass

Doesn't look like 4-4-2 to me

• Like 4

Just now, StudentOwl said:

Well sure it looks like a 4-4-2 if you put it like that, but neither Reach nor Kachunga played there did they?

Sure, if you put it like that it's 4-4-2, but neither Reach nor Kachunga were positioned there were they?

I mean, both of them ended up drifting in a lot and popping up in the center of the pitch but that was to give space for the overlapping fullbacks. Reach quite regularly made runs into the middle to drag a defender in and give Harris or Windass space on the left. Still 4-4-2, even if it's not the typical wingers bombing it to the byline and getting in crosses kind of 4-4-2 that used to be popular.