England v The Danes

SiJ

2 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

Looking at the Maguire situation again, yes the touch is poor but, if he doesn’t make the tackle afterward Dolberg is 1V1 with Coady. If he goes through and scores, Maguire would then get crucified for not making the challenge.

If the opposition player goes through 1-on-1 from 10 yards in his own half at 0-0 in the first half then you have to ask where 2 of our 3 centre-backs have positioned themselves. 

3 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

Looking at the Maguire situation again, yes the touch is poor but, if he doesn’t make the tackle afterward Dolberg is 1V1 with Coady. If he goes through and scores, Maguire would then get crucified for not making the challenge.

But he was on a yellow card.

Better to take the risk because there is still time to get back in the game.

If he wasn't on a yellow then by all means go for it.

• Like 1

This England squad is made for 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 and too be Frank I'd rather go out of tournaments having a go and playing attacking football, then the tripe of the past 20 years (2018 part, when it was a typical English summer of glorious failure) 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JoshTheOwl said:

yep was just about to say, age old saying of ‘attack best form of defence’

Our attacking options far outweigh our defensive, let’s put the focus on some more expansive football. 

Admittedly Sancho did naff all when he came on

he didn't, but its more difficult to come on and be expected to make a difference when your team is down to 10 men and 1-0 down against a pragmatic side with 20 minutes left.

Perhaps if he and/or grealish had started the game we might have had more going forward and not had to risk a centre-back bundling around on the ball in their half with a lack of creativity in front of him.

3 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

This England squad is made for 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 and too be Frank I'd rather go out of tournaments having a go and playing attacking football, then the tripe of the past 20 years (2018 part, when it was a typical English summer of glorious failure) 

Everyone can see 4-3-3 is the best way to go apart from Southgate.

And why TAA isn't starting at right back every match I don't know.

Sancho should be starting too!

1 minute ago, jonnyowl said:

Everyone can see 4-3-3 is the best way to go apart from Southgate.

And why TAA isn't starting at right back every match I don't know.

Sancho should be starting too!

I wouldn't start Sancho normally, I'd have Rashford, Kane and Sterling as the 3 in either formation with Sancho and Greenwood as the main replacements wider, and Grealish and Calvert Lewin as the main centre competition

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

If the opposition player goes through 1-on-1 from 10 yards in his own half at 0-0 in the first half then you have to ask where 2 of our 3 centre-backs have positioned themselves. 

The touch was that bad it created the overload. The ball comes to Maguire with no Danish player within 15 yards, his touch presents the opportunity to Dolberg to steal the ball which would have left him through. The ball was about to move across the back 3 to switch play.

If you look at the bench tonight it’s clear the squad is hardly full strength for various reasons... but he’s still picked a crap XI to play in a crap system, and we’ve lost at home to Denmark. 

What I don’t get is Southgate always banging on about picking players who are in form, then picking Maguire and leaving out Grealish? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DobbinTheDonkey said:

But he was on a yellow card.

Better to take the risk because there is still time to get back in the game.

If he wasn't on a yellow then by all means go for it.

Disagree. Like I said, if he left it and they scored, he’d have been crucified. 

5 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

The touch was that bad it created the overload. The ball comes to Maguire with no Danish player within 15 yards, his touch presents the opportunity to Dolberg to steal the ball which would have left him through. The ball was about to move across the back 3 to switch play.

So Maguire at fault.

4 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

Disagree. Like I said, if he left it and they scored, he’d have been crucified. 

Having already been booked for a ridiculous challenge in the opening exchanged in an area of no danger, he should not be diving in, simple as that.

We would have had a better chance at 1-0 down with an hour left with 11 men and I'm sure Coady could have slowed their player down and allowed others the chance to get back from 60 yards out anyway, it certainly wasn't a guaranteed goal had Maguire not dived in. 

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

I wouldn't start Sancho normally, I'd have Rashford, Kane and Sterling as the 3 in either formation with Sancho and Greenwood as the main replacements wider, and Grealish and Calvert Lewin as the main centre competition

I'd have Sancho instead of Rashford.

Its not like Rashford is pulling up any trees this season.

25 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Absolutely, Redknapp now talking about playing Rice in a back 3 so we are more comfortable on the ball at the back - how about not playing players out of position and playing to our strengths, which at the moment are the attacking options. 

Redknapp now nominating Alexander Arnold for defensive midfield, makes you wonder why he isn't a manager, even his dad must be thinking, shut up Jamie! 

6 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Redknapp now nominating Alexander Arnold for defensive midfield, makes you wonder why he isn't a manager, even his dad must be thinking, shut up Jamie! 

TAA played in midfield at youth level then moved to right back, it’s not the maddest idea ever

The huge worry is we go into euros and then another world Cup cycle straight after with

pickford

Walker

Dier

Maguirs

Henderson

Rice

As the basis of the team. That would be the most English thing ever to finally have so many exciting attacking players and end up with that base 

2 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

The huge worry is we go into euros and then another world Cup cycle straight after with

pickford

Walker

Dier

Maguirs

Henderson

Rice

As the basis of the team. That would be the most English thing ever to finally have so many exciting attacking players and end up with that base 

I’d like to see some of that exciting attacking play again. These last few games we’ve struggled to score from open play. 

What I don't understand is that England have just qualified for Euro 2020, playing at attacking 433 formation.

In that time we scored the most goals in qualifying - beat all put in front of us, and hammered Spain.

So why switch it up and start playing 7 defenders? We've looked abject since. 

Southgate's created a problem where there wasn't one. 

Ignoring the Grealish saga... there's no need for us to be demolishing team confidence like this. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, sammo said:

What I don't understand is that England have just qualified for Euro 2020, playing at attacking 433 formation.

In that time we scored the most goals in qualifying - beat all put in front of us, and hammered Spain.

So why switch it up and start playing 7 defenders? We've looked abject since. 

Southgate's created a problem where there wasn't one. 

Ignoring the Grealish saga... there's no need for us to be demolishing team confidence like this. 

Happens so often with managers. They think they’re clever and start over complicating things. Maybe this stinker of a result is the reality check we need. 

• Like 2