England v The Danes

SiJ

Declan Rice in his interview on five live afterwards said they defended well... I couldn't give two sh!ts about defending, we're at home to chuffing Denmark.

As others have said, far too defensive minded, also remarkable how many time Maguire, Walker or Coady run the ball out of defense... Then turn around and pass it back into the back three. Amazing how many time we get on the edge of their box... Then pass it back into the back three. Amazing how many times we get a lucky ricochet or latch on to a second ball with a 3 on 3 or a 4 on 3... Then pass it back to the back three.

Phillips and Rice incapable of a forward pass; pick any English footballer in the top two leagues and give him a single remit of getting the ball and passing it backwards and he'll do you the same job as them two.

Griff Reece James put in some great crosses but you've got Kane all on his own in the box with Mount and Rashford not really committed to getting in there.

Where were the goals coming from in that line up? Five defenders and two England players with any sort of reputation for goals:

Kane - 30+ goals

Rashford - 11 goals

OTHER - lucky if they had one or two from deflections or set pieces

Denmark won't have many easier nights than that, even ignoring the sending off. One dimensional hope to get it to Kane, otherwise we're screwed.

Abysmal

3 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

Happens so often with managers. They think they’re clever and start over complicating things. Maybe this stinker of a result is the reality check we need. 

Perhaps. 

Southgate is still very much in favour with me - a great (if fortunate, though you make your luck!) WC and the aforementioned excellent qualifying campaign left me feeling really positive, especially with the array of attacking talent. 

But we need to learn from the post-COVID games and ensure that lessons are learned as we go into whatever Euro 2020/21 turns out to be, because we won't get out of the group playing like this

1 hour ago, beswetherick said:

TAA played in midfield at youth level then moved to right back, it’s not the maddest idea ever

We have perfectly good players who can play that position, no need to put square pegs in round holes and move someone who has been one of the most effective England players in his current position for the last two years. 

Southgate has done a lot of good things since he came in , but he is beginning to make himself look really foolish with his selections now.

Clearly doesnt want Grealish anywhere near the team.......................just admit it instead of making stupid statements trying to justify his non playing time.

His reasoning for bringing on Calvert Lewin and Sancho rather than him was laughable , even Jamie Redknapp pointed this out.

I also feel sorry for Mason Mount, a good young player but being picked out of position just to fir this "new" system.

When we play the top sides , then go 3-5-2  (not this awful 3-4-3) if you want to be more compact , but as has already been said , with the players at our disposal it is crying out for 4-2-3-1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,play to your strengths not your weaknesses FFS!

1 hour ago, Owls-Fan said:

Who would be people’s preferred starting centre backs? 

At the moment it's two from Coady, Mings and Dier.

Coady and Mings are the form players,  and Dier seems to be a sensible , solid performer in my eyes, with a good mentality,  but I appreciate many think he's simply not good enough.

I've often said Lewis Dunk should be in the squad as well.

Unfortunately we are stuck with Maguire as Gareth won't bin him off like he rightly has done with Stones. 

We are miles away from the quality of Ferdinand,  Campbell,  Terry and King though. 

There's a hilarious interview with Southgate.

They ask him about Grealish and he gives it short shrift before then going onto lavish praise on Mason Mount.

Very strange. 

God knows what Grealish has done to earn such ire from the England manager.

6 hours ago, Bannofan said:

At the moment it's two from Coady, Mings and Dier.

Coady and Mings are the form players,  and Dier seems to be a sensible , solid performer in my eyes, with a good mentality,  but I appreciate many think he's simply not good enough.

I've often said Lewis Dunk should be in the squad as well.

Unfortunately we are stuck with Maguire as Gareth won't bin him off like he rightly has done with Stones. 

We are miles away from the quality of Ferdinand,  Campbell,  Terry and King though. 

Dier is horrendous. 

Coady and Mings atm, mainly due to Gomes and Maguires complete lack of form and the fact Keane is so fsr out of his depth at international level 

4 hours ago, thesouthowl said:

I'm just thankful the international break is over, nowt more boring than watching England. 

There is something more boring

That's going into a thread you're not interested in just to say how boring it is...

• Like 3

It's boring when Southgate sets us up like that. 

Supporting England can be a chore at the best of times, but at least we were becoming quite easy on the eye until the last several months. 

Now we are trying to play this boring, side to side, possession based football which we are not very good at. 

You've got a wealth of exciting, quick attacking forward types (perfect for a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1) and you are going for 3-5 bloody 2. 

Edited by SiJ

12 hours ago, scram said:

There is something more boring

That's going into a thread you're not interested in just to say how boring it is...

I didn't say I don't follow or want England to do well, it's just always such a massive pile of dog poo and a let down. So go and sit on a cactus!!