Wednesday Academy

8 hours ago, malek said:

Both Leeds and Sheffield United are getting CAT 1 academies next season so recruitment gap that was before will get wider. 

We improved a lot last few years, but it is hard to feel positive after all their late investment in their set up, their record of developing young talent and giving them chance at first team level. 

We have couple of good players coming through and I'm afraid long time will pass since we get another as talented bunch coming through. 

They have millions to spend

1 minute ago, Ronnie Starling said:

We had millions to spend but instead wasted it on overpaid journeyman footballers.

Yes we picked a way forward it narrowly failed on two occasions and we are paying for it but we have to move on the chairman is pumping millions in just keeping the club afloat we should pull together and all support the club constantly slagging him off isn't going to get us out of this situation 

Just now, bladeshater said:

Yes we picked a way forward it narrowly failed on two occasions and we are paying for it but we have to move on the chairman is pumping millions in just keeping the club afloat we should pull together and all support the club constantly slagging him off isn't going to get us out of this situation 

And neither is his strategy

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

Explain please

I'd love to but I'm baffled by it too. What I would suggest is that he starts to look at what has gone before him, what has gone wrong and put measures in place to reduce the risk of it happening again. This might mean getting rid of those that have poorly advised him or recruiting those with a track record of success. This might also result in his ego taking a hit from people telling him things he doesn't want to hear such as you are wrong Mr Chairman. You never learn anything from people that agree with you all of the time.

• Thanks 1

Investing in academies and youth set up is exempt from FFP.

It should have been one of the first things on the list when Chansiri took over.

It would have sent the right message that he’s here for the long term and has an interest in the long term future of not only the club but the surrounding community 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mac_77 said:

Investing in academies and youth set up is exempt from FFP.

It should have been one of the first things on the list when Chansiri took over.

It would have sent the right message that he’s here for the long term and has an interest in the long term future of not only the club but the surrounding community 

I regularly go down to middlewood road and if you think Mr chansiri hasn't put money in our academy or it hasn't improved over the last few years I think your wrong

17 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

I regularly go down to middlewood road and if you think Mr chansiri hasn't put money in our academy or it hasn't improved over the last few years I think your wrong

Building a new changing area or adding a few new rooms isn’t improving what’s coming through. 

the whole issue is that besides Palmer, Dawson & Wildsmith who have we developed in recent years? 

who have we developed and got a fee for? 

1 minute ago, WORKSOP_OWL said:

Building a new changing area or adding a few new rooms isn’t improving what’s coming through. 

the whole issue is that besides Palmer, Dawson & Wildsmith who have we developed in recent years? 

There's a group of players coming through now that are promising the infrastructure is now in place go down when possible have look  

3 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

There's a group of players coming through now that are promising the infrastructure is now in place go down when possible have look  

Like who? 

please don’t tell me these lads who got in squad towards end of season are ready for a relegation dog fight. 

They made the numbers up and that was it. 

they only way they stay involved is if the wage structure across the championship changes. 

Oh, I worked as part of the recruitment team at the club. So I’m talking from experience 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WORKSOP_OWL said:

Like who? 

please don’t tell me these lads who got in squad towards end of season are ready for a relegation dog fight. 

they only way they stay involved is if the wage structure across the championship changes. 

Oh, I worked as part of the recruitment team at the club. So I’m talking from experience 

Interesting pm me

Guest Smackavolley
1 hour ago, WORKSOP_OWL said:

Like who? 

So you’re to blame then? 

2 hours ago, WORKSOP_OWL said:

Like who? 

Please don't tell me that untalented, uninterested shower of poo that rolled over against any opponent they faced in 2'nd part of the season is.

You need to consider the fact that he could have the talent of Lionel Messi and the work rate and athleticism of Ronaldo, but our academy would turn him into a pub league player.

Much as it pains me you'd be better off contacting the pigs.

3 hours ago, WORKSOP_OWL said:

Do you know how long it takes to turn things around in an Academy?

Did you think Chansiri coming in and splashing a lot of cash was going to magically make lads who had been in our previous poo setup and weren't good enough for the team any better?

Hunt and Shaw are already a step up from any other youngsters (other than goalkeepers) who have come through since the Spurr and Beevers days, not that that's saying much.

By all accounts things are a lot better than they were 5 years ago, we'll see the proof (or not) in the next few years, but the quality of play from our U18s, is much higher than it was pre Chansiri.

Chansiri took over in 2015, lads who are 18 now would have been 13 when the changes took place.

That's a potential 6 years they spent at Wednesday before the changes were made, enough time for poorer coaching and facilities to affect the potential these players can reach.

It won't be until 2026 that we could have 18 year olds who have come all the way through the system but weren't involved with the previous underfunded setup.

11 minutes ago, fingyfop said:

Did you think Chansiri coming in and splashing a lot of cash was going to magically make lads who had been in our previous poo setup and weren't good enough for the team any better?

Hunt and Shaw are already a step up from any other youngsters (other than goalkeepers) who have come through since the Spurr and Beevers days, not that that's saying much.

By all accounts things are a lot better than they were 5 years ago, we'll see the proof (or not) in the next few years, but the quality of play from our U18s, is much higher than it was pre Chansiri.

Chansiri took over in 2015, lads who are 18 now would have been 13 when the changes took place.

That's a potential 6 years they spent at Wednesday before the changes were made, enough time for poorer coaching and facilities to affect the potential these players can reach.

It won't be until 2026 that we could have 18 year olds who have come all the way through the system but weren't involved with the previous underfunded setup.

I think most on here think that once you are in the Academy you should be ready for the first team at 18...good to have a bit of reality to help them understand.

33 minutes ago, fingyfop said:

Hunt, Shaw and Waldock were at our academy long before Chansiri rolled up.

Leeds & Sheffield United investing heavily in their academies, isn’t bad news for us, last season we signed 3 players from the Leeds academy, who weren’t deemed quite good enough to break into their first team, and they’ve not looked too bad baring the obvious inexperience, now Leeds are in the premier league, I should imagine the pathway to the first team as been blocked for quite a few young lads, and I’d be very surprised if we don’t pick up a couple more, over the next month or so.