Wednesday Academy

1 hour ago, fingyfop said:

Do you know how long it takes to turn things around in an Academy?

Did you think Chansiri coming in and splashing a lot of cash was going to magically make lads who had been in our previous poo setup and weren't good enough for the team any better?

Hunt and Shaw are already a step up from any other youngsters (other than goalkeepers) who have come through since the Spurr and Beevers days, not that that's saying much.

By all accounts things are a lot better than they were 5 years ago, we'll see the proof (or not) in the next few years, but the quality of play from our U18s, is much higher than it was pre Chansiri.

Chansiri took over in 2015, lads who are 18 now would have been 13 when the changes took place.

That's a potential 6 years they spent at Wednesday before the changes were made, enough time for poorer coaching and facilities to affect the potential these players can reach.

It won't be until 2026 that we could have 18 year olds who have come all the way through the system but weren't involved with the previous underfunded setup.

Well put

If your lad is good enough he will get spotted, word soon gets round. 

Wednesday's academy is improving all through slowly, but with Leeds getting CAT1 and Sheffield United hoping to get it in the next few years probably realistically 3-5 years  (they don't have it yet) it will get harder and harder for us.

3 minutes ago, owl84 said:

If your lad is good enough he will get spotted, word soon gets round. 

Wednesday's academy is improving all through slowly, but with Leeds getting CAT1 and Sheffield United hoping to get it in the next few years probably realistically 3-5 years  (they don't have it yet) it will get harder and harder for us.

Yep

1 hour ago, fingyfop said:

Do you know how long it takes to turn things around in an Academy?

Did you think Chansiri coming in and splashing a lot of cash was going to magically make lads who had been in our previous poo setup and weren't good enough for the team any better?

Hunt and Shaw are already a step up from any other youngsters (other than goalkeepers) who have come through since the Spurr and Beevers days, not that that's saying much.

By all accounts things are a lot better than they were 5 years ago, we'll see the proof (or not) in the next few years, but the quality of play from our U18s, is much higher than it was pre Chansiri.

Chansiri took over in 2015, lads who are 18 now would have been 13 when the changes took place.

That's a potential 6 years they spent at Wednesday before the changes were made, enough time for poorer coaching and facilities to affect the potential these players can reach.

It won't be until 2026 that we could have 18 year olds who have come all the way through the system but weren't involved with the previous underfunded setup.

But all our teams from U16 downwards we’re getting beat last season (by November no team U16 had won a game) and more alarmingly a lot of our teams hadn’t played more than half a dozen games as all home games were cancelled due to lack of space/pitches at Middlewood Rd?!?!? 

31 minutes ago, BrownOwls2018 said:

But all our teams from U16 downwards we’re getting beat last season (by November no team U16 had won a game) and more alarmingly a lot of our teams hadn’t played more than half a dozen games as all home games were cancelled due to lack of space/pitches at Middlewood Rd?!?!? 

Did the poor results continue or did they turn it around?

And most importantly how were the performances?

Tried looking for any information on the internet but hard to find anything

A little but amount of games (especially for younger age groups at home) didn’t and often cancelled last minute. 
Your right performances/development are what’s important at that age but any decent coaches seem to leave or be poached as poorly paid, organisation leaves a lot to be desired and though the cosmetics of the facilities have improved since chansiri come in the standard and lack of structure/vision/plan hasn’t I’m afraid. 

4 minutes ago, BrownOwls2018 said:

A little but amount of games (especially for younger age groups at home) didn’t and often cancelled last minute. 
Your right performances/development are what’s important at that age but any decent coaches seem to leave or be poached as poorly paid, organisation leaves a lot to be desired and though the cosmetics of the facilities have improved since chansiri come in the standard and lack of structure/vision/plan hasn’t I’m afraid. 

The coaches at our academy seemed more interested in their own development rather than that of the players.

• Like 2

My lad has just left chesterfield academy with it now losing its academy status, |He was there 4 and a half years, I managed to get him a trial at wednesday early march, he went twice then covid struck, His mate plays for wednesday and they've not trained since covid and told the lads it will be october before any games programs begin.

Guest Grez Bez

The problem with a lot of the feedback about the academy is that it comes from:

A) people who have never seen a game

B) dad's of kids who weren't good enough to make it

Guest Grez Bez
6 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

I would say that the biggest measure and feedback of our academy is the constant failure year after year.

I appreciate that but is it much different to others? (I'm not saying it is or isn't, it's a genuine question).

It's a LONG term investment. Realistically you can only start to judge Chansiris changes when the youngest kids come through in 2032/33!

Id like to see overall cost of the academy Vs others in the PL/ EFL and the return on investment. @mkowl

Just now, Grez Bez said:

I appreciate that but is it much different to others? (I'm not saying it is or isn't, it's a genuine question).

It's a LONG term investment. Realistically you can only start to judge Chansiris changes when the youngest kids come through in 2032/33!

Id like to see overall cost of the academy Vs others in the PL/ EFL and the return on investment. @mkowl

Why has Chansiri built some scientific laboratory where he is screening genes to create some super player? Meanwhile other clubs and their academies continue to develop footballers while we scratch around with our Keystone Cop set of coaches and scouts who continue to produce sweet FA. 

26 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Why has Chansiri built some scientific laboratory where he is screening genes to create some super player? Meanwhile other clubs and their academies continue to develop footballers while we scratch around with our Keystone Cop set of coaches and scouts who continue to produce sweet FA. 

When do school holidays finish

Guest Smackavolley
17 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

The coaches at our academy seemed more interested in their own development rather than that of the players.

Seems a pretty sweeping statement. Which coaches are you talking about? If a fan thinks a player performs poorly for the first team people don't hesitate to criticise. Same with the 1st team coaching staff. Why not point the finger and tell us who these coaches are? 

I hope Gregbez means 2022/3 in his post above. In earlier posts I've said you've got to give the academy another 2 seasons to gauge if changes, made 3 or 4 years ago will bear fruit. Track record isn't great and I live in hope, rather than expectation. I don't think you can readily dismiss the prospects of some of our young U23's. A number of talented players are entering their 2nd season as pro players and it looks like they will get opportunities. How many times is it said young players never get a chance? 

56 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Without trawling through all the threads to find the appropriate one, it appears that there are 7 new academy recruits, to be named later in the week Maybe Neil can find the correct thread

7’s not many. Though I did read an interview with Haslam last week and he suggested there would be some fast tracking this season which isn’t a surprise TBH?